The Biggest Blu-ray Blunders, and Why They Have to Stop! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-26-2010, 04:15 PM

Default The Biggest Blu-ray Blunders, and Why They Have to Stop!

Blu-ray has been on the market for over four years now, and the usual growing pains have mostly come and gone. Yet some studios are still making mistakes that simply should not happen, mistakes that are easy to correct, or avoid altogether.

Nate Boss tells us what they are:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh...e_to_Stop/5324
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM

I have been reading a lot online today about 3D, and I am begining to think that it will be over before it ever begins. It seems kind of botched from the start. Am I wrong? I have been reading a lot more doom and gloom, than good news.

Last edited by shesha; 08-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:09 PM

the blu/dvd combo packs really bug the crap out of me as a blu-ray buyer. if i wanted the movie on dvd then i would buy it on dvd. i dont care what excuses they give as to why they do it, there's just no need or reason for it. and what really irks me is that the releases that go combo always have a dvd only edition available everywhere but more often than not, the blu-ray only version is harder to find or in some cases doesn't even exist.

blu-ray is supposed to be the future, the next step in home video. well if you keep bundling them with dvds and treating dvd better then it'll never become the standard format that it should. i have no illusions about dvd, they will be around for a while and i'd even go as far as saying i wouldnt be surprised if they never go away at all. but stop bundling them up and let the people choose which format they want.

combo packs are still the minority overall but i'm seeing more and more releases doing it. and i can only speak for my country (canada) but they are often a little more expensive or their prices never drop. many blu-ray movie come out at between 25 and 30 dollars but they eventually drop much lower either due to sales or just as the movie becomes an "older release" but i'm noticing the combo packs are staying at 30-34 and not budging.

i can understand the combo idea for kids movies. obviously not every household will have mutiple blu-ray players so a dvd version for the kids room is cool and conveniant. but outside of that genre, there's really no need and it utterly defeats the purpose and point of having a new format.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:20 PM

The tail end of the article made me look up Pocket Blu. From their site:

So, if the disc is in the player, and connected to wi-fi, you can watch special features ... on your phone? Maybe I'm the exception, but I have a relatively nice TV hooked up to my blu-ray player. People should try it. I thought it would be transferable content of some sort, or maybe access to stream whatever it is to your phone while out. I guess I'm overly optimistic.

Anyway, I don't really have any other complaints not already mentioned in the article, but I whole-heartedly agree with no more trailers. As a bonus, sure, whatever. But the more I have to hit skip to get to what I paid for, the worse the disc is. And if I can't skip? Rage. Or, you know, slightly more annoyance.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM

yeah trailers for upcoming movies just dont make any sense. i've thought this since i was a kid with VHS movies adding trailers. why put trailers to movies that will be old news within a few weeks of the release of the movie containing the trailer?

and of course with blu-ray, the recent trend of forcing them is just ridiculous. in some cases my only option is to fast forward through them as even the "chapter skip" button doesnt work. its bad enough they put them there, but to force you to go through em....kinda defeats the purpose of the disc technology. its like being back in the VHS days.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:33 PM

With BD-Live I've noticed some discs pull new trailers off the internet each time. This way the trailers are at least relevant. Of course, it would be better if they weren't forced on you...
Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM

I hate, I HATE, advertisements for Blu-ray ON FREAKING BLU-RAY DISCS!! We aren't retarded SONY, WARNER BROTHERS, LIONSGATE, etc. We put a Blu-ray disc in our Blu-ray player, so we know what the hell Blu-ray is. Grab a brain you morons.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:42 PM

The biggest Blu-ray blunder I can remember is on the 'Doubt' Blu-ray there is a quit smoking commercial that plays AFTER YOU'VE HIT THE FREAKING PLAY BUTTON ON THE MENU. That still pisses me off just thinking about it.

I also hate the Blu-ray advertisements on Blu-ray, trying to get me to buy Blu-ray. Why do I need those? I already bought this Blu-ray. Obviously I know how good the quality is.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 08-26-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
The biggest Blu-ray blunder I can remember is on the 'Doubt' Blu-ray there is a quit smoking commercial that plays AFTER YOU'VE HIT THE FREAKING PLAY BUTTON ON THE MENU. That still pisses me off just thinking about it.
That's terrible. Can you bypass it by going to the Scene Selections menu and choosing Chapter 1 instead of hitting Play Movie? I default to starting all movies that way, because it usually (not always, but usually) allows me to bypass copyright notices and other crap forced before the start of the movie.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I hate, I HATE, advertisements for Blu-ray ON FREAKING BLU-RAY DISCS!! We aren't retarded SONY, WARNER BROTHERS, LIONSGATE, etc. We put a Blu-ray disc in our Blu-ray player, so we know what the hell Blu-ray is. Grab a brain you morons.
I second that - talk about preaching to the choir.