I think I'm going to scale back on BD buying - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-30-2007, 01:08 AM

Default I think I'm going to scale back on BD buying

I remember saying to myself that when I got into these new hi-def movies that I was only going to buy my most absolute favorite movies. When SDVD came out I went crazy for a good few years and then a few more after that buying tons of movies. After only owning my BD player since February I already have approximately 31 titles. And I have a fair bit that I really could have done without. I have several movies like Underworld Evolution, Flightplan, Identity, and The Fugitive that should have never been purchased in the first place. These aren't movies to me that have a lot of repeat viewing pleasure to them.

This is my new rule; no more buying a new disc just because you feel like it that day and no blind-buying movies. For me over the years blind-buying has amounted to alot of DVDs being purchased and alot of WASTED cash.

From now on only top tier titles like 300, Top Gun and others will be the ones that I buy. I have just enough duds in my collection to realize that my collection looks alot stronger without them on the movie shelf. Also at this point I don't think BD needs me to be purchasing second rate movies just to support the format, it is clearly thr format that is going to win.

Bring on Gladiator, Heat, Shawshank, Jaws, JP, Saving Private Ryan and other top movies like them, I will gladly buy them.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
Bring on Gladiator, Heat, Shawshank, Jaws, JP, Saving Private Ryan and other top movies like them, I will gladly buy them.
You do realize these are HD DVD exclusives.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:29 AM

hehe sure they are. thar be no plans to release them on either format, just like thar be no plans to release star wars on either format.

to the op: i agree.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
hehe sure they are. thar be no plans to release them on either format, just like thar be no plans to release star wars on either format.

to the op: i agree.
No comment to such a simple post.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:45 AM

you can't call them HD DVD exclusive if their release isn't even remotely on the horizon. if you want to call them HD DVD exclusive, then the BD side should be entitled to call star wars BD exclusive.

/shrug.

fair's fair.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonshu View Post
you can't call them HD DVD exclusive if their release isn't even remotely on the horizon. if you want to call them HD DVD exclusive, then the BD side should be entitled to call star wars BD exclusive.

/shrug.

fair's fair.
Jaws = Universal (HD DVD)
Jurassic Park = Universal (HD DVD)

PS: This is not a smackdown forum, so let's both let it rest.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:51 AM

1) you came here.
2) we're conversing fairly politely and not smacking anything down.

star wars = fox (BD)
Old 06-30-2007, 02:21 AM

Regarding to the original post, looking at the upcoming release schedule I'm goin to have a hard time cutting back as well, I look at how many sd-dvd's I have and I do not want the same thing happening to my blu-ray collection, wasted money......except for a select few that is.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blu-dock saint View Post
Regarding to the original post, looking at the upcoming release schedule I'm goin to have a hard time cutting back as well, I look at how many sd-dvd's I have and I do not want the same thing happening to my blu-ray collection, wasted money......except for a select few that is.
Someone who understands me. Thank you.

Thank god that Blockbuster has the dvd trade in thing as I have traded probably a couple dozen SDVDs over the last couple years or so. I would have a lot more crap in my SDVD collection now if it were not for that program.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Interesting forum topic. I too used to buy DVDs that I really didn't need to. Example: Saw: that movies is so boring when you already know what's going on. Personally, my rule is that I'm not buying any Blu-Ray that I already own on DVD because I don't feel the leap in quality is worth buying the same movie I already have over again. That's why I'm not interested in some of the huge HD releases like the Matrix Collection, and my Blu collection right now is only a measly 5 discs. The only upcoming releases I'm aware of that I plan on buying is 300, the Blade Runner final cut, and Spiderman 3 way later.