'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' is coming October 19 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Default 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' is coming October 19

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2819...ctureshow.html
Old 08-03-2010, 05:23 PM

I caught this on an HD broadcast last Halloween and it looked pretty good. So the Blu-ray will hopefully have great PQ/AQ.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Watcher of stances

So come up to the lab and see what´s on the slab
I see you shiver with antici....pation!

hope it's a good transfer!
Old 08-03-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I caught this on an HD broadcast last Halloween and it looked pretty good. So the Blu-ray will hopefully have great PQ/AQ.
I saw it in HD last Halloween, it had specks but also heathy film grain with nice fine detail. I did not
mind the specks at all but the friend I was watching it with got turned off by it.

I am kind of worried that Fox will dnr it because of film specks.
Old 08-04-2010, 03:46 AM

I should have it hopefully next week and I'll report back on what it looks like. I ordered the Hong Kong edition which gets released tomorrow.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:55 AM

Game over.

Blu-ray has arrived and one of my catalog title goals have arrived as soon "Let's do the Time Warp again!"

I am so looking forward to the vintage callback track "Janice".

Last edited by eNoize; 08-04-2010 at 12:59 PM. Reason: off-site linking
Old 08-04-2010, 02:38 PM

I can tell a good story about me and my girlfriend at the time, actually wandering in a showing of Rock Horror Picture Show in its first fan hype runs and being actually unaware of the phenomena.

Actually went in as a straight viewing experience. Actually were literally kissing and making out in the back row, when the movie started and "Lips" were on the screen. When all the people doing the yelling at the screen callbacks said "I want to to go" .."in the back row" and turned around.........we were actually making out in the back row.

Oopsie

:shamebag 1:

Standing ovation.

Been a fan of it ever since.

(maybe some NSFW fan shouts)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gg_0...eature=related
Old 08-04-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
should have it hopefully next week
i will order it today
Old 08-04-2010, 08:20 PM

Does this have both the USA and UK versions like the DVD...?

"Superheroes..."
Old 08-05-2010, 11:33 PM

Yeah I'm also wondering if it offers the UK cut as the DVD did. With the only difference being that the UK version includes the full song of "Superheroes", which is a good and short part, I really don't care if the US version is included or not, it offers nothing that the UK doesn't.

I'm also wondering if the new 7.1 sound mix is based off of the original mono recording, or the remixed version. Most people think of the remixed version when they think of the music, as it is what you'll find on the soundtrack CD and every version of the movie released for home viewing prior to the DVD (including the laserdisc). The sound is very different with more effects and other processing in the remixed version. Some songs stand out as more different than the others, but they are surely two different soundtracks. I always found the mono on the DVD to sound more like being there, as it might sound to watch the play, where the later remix sounds more like a clean studio produced soundtrack, though that isn't saying I prefer it. I have trouble deciding which I prefer as I fell in love with the movie not knowing of the original mono track, but since the DVD have grown to love it as the original sound of Rocky Horror. The only problem I had with the DVD is that it didn't offer the remixed soundtrack at all. The DVD is the only way to see it with Super Heroes edited into the movie (it is in the deleted scenes on the laserdisc), and the laserdisc (the anniversary edition that is) is the only way to watch the remixed soundtrack in widescreen. So to date there is NO way (at least in America) to watch it with the remixed soundtrack AND Super Heroes in its entirety. Personally I hope the new mix is more based off the original mono's sound without all the extra effects on the sounds, but I hope it includes the remixed version in some form.

In any case, unless there is a major blunder like not having Super Heroes in the actual movie, this will be a day 1 purchase for me. I own the 15th, 20th, and 25th anniversary sets, might as well keep it going. I missed the 30th Anniversary Set because it didn't really offer anything new, and I have the standalone DVD of Shock Treatment which was included with it (it would be nice to see that on Blu, and while it would be nice to have as a standard-def extra here, that would probably hurt sales of the standalone DVD too much).

The DVD set (the 25th anniversary one) was a letdown overall though, as the 20th anniversary laserdisc set included a book and a 24k gold CD of the soundtrack that included "Sword of Damocles", a track that hasn't been released otherwise (at least not the movie version, only play versions have been on other albums). 15th anniversary was also a big box with CDs and other stuff in it. The 30th anniversary set is what should have been released first, so that it didn't mean re-buying a bunch of stuff.

As someone that actually loves the movie for what it is (my only tat is from Rocky Horror and I got it before ever seeing it live with audience participation), it will be nice to get a really prime version to watch at home. I've been in a cast before, but still prefer watching it at home. I also go against the crowd and recommend watching it at home first, just so you can hear the movie and get to know it, then when you see it live you'll actually understand what people are joking about, because you won't be able to hear the movie then. Also just an awesome musical all around. BTW Patricia Quinn (Magenta) will be at DragonCon in Atlanta this labor day weekend.

Last edited by Hastor; 08-05-2010 at 11:45 PM.