'The Sound of Music' is up for Pre-Order - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-26-2010, 11:07 PM

Default 'The Sound of Music' is up for Pre-Order

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3078/soundofmusic.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3762...ollectors.html
Old 07-27-2010, 09:12 AM

can't wait!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:22 PM

Yay! You guys do check your e-mails, guess it just took you a few days to verify.

I preordered mine Monday! Can't wait, especially to see the transfer they used. Wasn't this originally filmed in 70mm? I have a couple of HD versions of this floating around the house, all use different sources, and all are extreamely dirty and gritty and grainy, probably due to being a 3rd or 4th generation film copy. I am so hoping to see a new transfer struck from the master!
Old 07-28-2010, 04:27 PM

I absolutely hated this movie as a child. It's one of those films that my mother played on the weekend evenings, when I wanted to play Nintendo/Genesis. It never seemed to end. Now, that I'm older I appreciate the film. It just has the stigma attached to it. But, so did Gone with the Wind. Which was made worse with the attached miniseries. It became an all weekend affair.

Okay, enough personal story time.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:36 PM

Default Yes!!!!

My all time favorite, actually this has been up for preorder for almost 2 weeks. I ordered my box set the first day, can't wait to hear about the specs. I have heard that Fox went all out on this transfer!
Old 07-28-2010, 09:05 PM

IMDB lists the film as 65 MM and Todd-AO. Ever since Around the World in 80 Days came out on DVD I've been hoping for a Todd-AO print to be used for a DVD/BD release. Having seen Todd-AO films in their first release back in 50's and 60's, I can tell you that they had an almost 3 dimensional level of depth and detail that just can't be achieved on 35 MM stock.

Unfortunately the studios so far have used more standard prints (e.g. Oklahoma, South Pacific) because the Todd-AO versions seem to have been poorly preserved. If the Sound of Music is actually mastered on BD from a cleaned up and restored Todd-AO source, you're all going to be in for a real eye-opener. I can only hope.

Last edited by reidw; 07-29-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
IMDB lists the film as 65 MM and Todd-AO. Ever since Around the World in 80 Days came out on DVD I've been hoping for a Todd-AO print to be used for a DVD/BD release. Having seen Todd-AO films in their first release back in 50's and 60's, I can tell you that they had an almost 3 dimensional level of depth and detail that just can't be achieved on 35 MM stock.

Unfortunately the studios so far have used more standard prints (e.g. Oklahoma, South Pacific) because the Todd-AO versions seem to have been poorly preserved. If the Sound of Music is actually mastered on BD from a cleaned up and restored Todd-AO source, you're all going to be for a real eye-opener. I can only hope.
That is what I was thinking of, Todd-AO.

The South Pacific Blu-Ray was amazing, but I am with you on wishing that they use the Todd-AO source. I really hope Fox could find a way to restore ToddAO like Warner does with Technicolor (Gone With The Wind was in BAD condition, from my understanding), but knowing Fox, they probably will just strike this from a 35mm print, or possibly an existing digital master.

As for the boxed set, I may pick it up, but I am wanting to know what all it has first. It is a bit pricy for my taste - I picked up Gone With The Wind boxed set for $35.

Another thing I am hoping for is that they will strike a feature that was on the DVD in HD. Salzburg Sight and Sounds was filmed at the same time. I would love to see this in HD, especially if they clean it up some.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:07 PM

$35? I'll pass. I'm tired of these BD/DVD combos.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:13 AM

SWEET! I would have been excited if this was a bare-bones release, but with all the extras, and with them claiming a full restoration, I am over-the-clouds with excitement! There were three movies that I wanted to see in HD when I first upgraded: Gone With The Wind, Jurassic Park, and Sound of Music! I now will have two out of three!

I also LOVE hearing about all the location footage and snapshots they are adding. I got a chance a few years back to live in Salzburg for a few months, and am like in love with the city, and devour anything about it. I am actually debating on canceling my order for the Limited Edition one and getting the Collector's Edition! Actually, didn't the article say both the Limited and the Collector's Edition are numbered? I may get one of each!

I am also glad that the price is reasonable. Of course, I am in so much love with this film, I would have plopped down over $100 for it!
Old 09-01-2010, 06:32 PM

It was cool to see that they decided to give this the full 7.1 treatment. Hopefully they'll be able to faithfully reproduce the original 70mm six channel surround track.