Question about BD-J 1.1 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-28-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Question about BD-J 1.1

I'm posting here because I want intelligent answers, if I ask in smackdown I'll start a food fight and get confused again.

Is it true that people (like me) should wait a bit to buy a BD player because the current spec states that BD-J 1.1 will be mandatory as of Oct 2007, but the current crop of players won't be able to support that except the PS3, and maybe not even the PS3 with the full new spec.

I was going to try and ebay an older PS3, or Sony or Samsung, but now with this I'm thinking of waiting two months to see what else comes out.

Is this BD-J 1.1 important to me? Will I care? Or if I could get a good price on an older BD player (PS3 20gig or something like that) should I grab it?

Thanks rob
Old 06-28-2007, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
I'm posting here because I want intelligent answers, if I ask in smackdown I'll start a food fight and get confused again.

Is it true that people (like me) should wait a bit to buy a BD player because the current spec states that BD-J 1.1 will be mandatory as of Oct 2007, but the current crop of players won't be able to support that except the PS3, and maybe not even the PS3 with the full new spec.

I was going to try and ebay an older PS3, or Sony or Samsung, but now with this I'm thinking of waiting two months to see what else comes out.

Is this BD-J 1.1 important to me? Will I care? Or if I could get a good price on an older BD player (PS3 20gig or something like that) should I grab it?

Thanks rob
no one actually knows the answer to this one, which is where the fuddy part of the HD DVD fanboys jumping all over this comes in.

the real question is one you need to ask yourself - do you care that much about the extras? because that's what will be dependent on BD-J 1.1. if you couldn't care less about the chance that the extras might not work, then you're pretty safe jumping in now.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob.D.inToronto View Post
You will need to ask yourself this. The mandatory points are the PiP-feature and the capability to store at least 256MB of data locally. The PS3 will most probable be able to do PiP. The PS3 does not use even half it's power to show Blu-ray movies. Question is when a firmware upgrade comes if it is necessary. The storage is at least 20GB for it so the 256MB limit is safe.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:34 AM

I believe the PS3 can do BD-J 1.0 right now, and it does it effortlessly and seamlessly, while standalones have stuttering picture and audio problems on the new Pirates movies(Scoundrels of the sea on Black Pearl, Liar's Dice game on Dead Man's Chest) I can say that the PS3 would be the best bet, as it has the sheer horsepower to do all the processing needed. Look on avsforum to see comparisons of BD-J POTC PS3 vs. Standalone.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:17 PM

My Samsung BD-P1200 plays Pirates 1 BD-J just fine. It is pretty quick too, not as fast as my brother's PS3, but it doesn't bother me very much. Plus I think the BD-P1200 has better picture quality.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:26 PM

Theres no doubt that the PS3 will be able to do both Profile 1.1 and 2.0.

For myself personally, I want extras and I believe that one of the best things about the new HD formats is the interactive features. I can wait until a stand alone player comes out that supports the necessary standards.