Quality of older movies - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Default Quality of older movies

Hey Guys,

a newbie question for you. The same question applies to HD DVD

How can a movie, which was released in the 90s, be re-released on BD and HD DVD be considered HD?

For example, Basic Instinct (1992) (Blu-ray)

Was this movie shot in HD originally? would it look that much better on Blu than on standard dvd?
Old 06-27-2007, 01:28 PM

Basic Instinct was not shot in HD. I can't speak for the Blu-ray version. I have the SD.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
Hey Guys,

a newbie question for you. The same question applies to HD DVD

How can a movie, which was released in the 90s, be re-released on BD and HD DVD be considered HD?

Was this movie shot in HD originally? would it look that much better on Blu than on standard dvd?

Well I can't really explain this in technical detail, but I will give it a try anyway . Standard Definition 480p has always been just a limitation on home videos and electronics.

The real original film reels as they are not stored in digital form, have resolution that greatly surpass even 1080p, yes even old black and white movies. You may have noticed that when you go to a cinema the "movie" does not have jaggies, with a screen that size if they had a limitation of 480p it would look like crap.

Where it gets confusing is that they boast that some movies are shot in HD. But they are not really talking specifically about the resolution, but about the technology, I think those are shot in digital form and have less grain etc.. and therefore look better.

Anyway I'm sure someone else coul explain this better, so go ahead

EDIT: And if I was not clear enough all movies look much better on Blu-ray and HD-DVD, no matter how old they are.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Most movies are shot on 35mm film. Film has much more resolution than any video format, including HD.
Old 06-27-2007, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exodus View Post
A basic analogy would be something like this:

Think of a painting in your house, hanging on the wall. It has no set resolution, right? Snap a jpeg of it with a cheap digital camera at 640X480 resolution. Now, snap another jpeg of it with a better camera at 1920X1200 resolution. View both images at the same size on your desktop. You will see the higher resolution picture has more detail and clarity.

the picture on the wall = the original film's negative
the 640X480 jpeg = DVD
the 1920X1080 jpeg = Blu-Ray
Old 06-27-2007, 08:59 PM

Both film and HD have their pros and cons and that's why you have advocates on both sides of the fence.

But to answer your question, High definition will look better because it will capture more details from the studio master than standard definition is capable of.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
A basic analogy would be something like this:

Think of a painting in your house, hanging on the wall. It has no set resolution, right? Snap a jpeg of it with a cheap digital camera at 640X480 resolution. Now, snap another jpeg of it with a better camera at 1920X1200 resolution. View both images at the same size on your desktop. You will see the higher resolution picture has more detail and clarity.

the picture on the wall = the original film's negative
the 640X480 jpeg = DVD
the 1920X1080 jpeg = Blu-Ray
Nice analogy.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:51 AM

It also comes down to mastering and how good the print is, Casablanca is over 50 years old but as the studio took the time and money to clean and repair and restore it, it is one of the best looking old films out there in HD, then you get newer films that look awful, like The Game on HD or Total Recall on Blu Ray, where they are very poor transfers and you can tell the studio has just wheeled out a release with little care and attention or investment

As for Basic Instinct I have it on HD DVD and it looks very good, One of my favs!