Disney's Moratorium Policy aka The Vault/Lion King 2011? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-18-2010, 01:44 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Disney's Moratorium Policy aka The Vault/Lion King 2011?

Sure Disney's sales tactics have been heavily scrutinized, hell, I've have seen too many bash Disney threads to count or threads that become bash Disney threads.
Based on the fact that Beauty and The Beast is coming this year (2010), the dvd was a 2002 release, I believe my favorite Disney movie, The Lion King will come out in 2011 as the dvd release was 2003.

Briefly to anyone that needs to be educated on the topic, When Disney releases one of their "classics" or "treasures" it is available only for a limited time, say a 6 month window. At the 6 month mark retailers have an agreement and they pull all remaining copies from the shelf and return it to the vendor for credit. As a general rule Disney will heavily promote the fact that "Time is running out - get it before it is returned to the vault."
When a title is returned to the vault, it is placed on a moratorium lasting 7 years. When the title returns to circulation their bet is that people will view this as a "new" release. There's also a new audience of kids to sell to. To entice people that may already own it the marketing engine goes to work, listing "special edition," "remastered," "limited time only" etc etc etc.

It is of course released in whatever the predominant format is. As you folks may have noticed, Disney is slowly phasing out dvd only versions. Currently delaying the dvd from the release and offering far more features on compared to the dvd edition.

Let's please not turn this into a total bash Disney thread. Criticize sure, my opinion of the company's animated division is that they work very hard to release the highest quality products, in our case, BD. On a random day these titles are quite pricey but on release week with the $10 off coupons and the random sales AMZ or BB do they're quite worth every cent. I used to pay $80+ for the Deluxe Edition on Laserdisc so even at the MSRP of $40 with far superior PQ and features it's a bargain! They've had full restores so far on pretty much all their "classics." I am glad to see the little things, that despite political correctness plaguing this world that they left the smoking scene in Pinocchio. They tried their best on that title, although someone discovered an OOPS on it what can you expect, a full recall? I know the issues with POTC were bigger but at least they offer replacements on that one!

I would want to believe they will have Fantasia in tact when it eventually releases, I would hope that even if the political correct U.S. can't handle it that they would release Song of the South easily accessible, say Mexico or Canada; I would like to see them take a stand and release it here, I'm sorry, otherwise it's just as idiotic as schools banning Huck Finn/Tom Sawyer and attempting to rewrite history

Oh, why does my math seem wrong? 2010-2002=8, 2011-2003=8, well the moratorium begins when the title enters the vault, not when the title was released.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:52 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

I don't know what to say other than I think Disney is one of the better studios, if not the best.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
I don't know what to say other than I think Disney is one of the better studios, if not the best.
When it comes to animation blu-ray's sure...when it comes to anything else they are just like any other studio...mixed bag and the rate they release titles they are probably one of the worst studios.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomSelleck View Post
When it comes to animation blu-ray's sure...when it comes to anything else they are just like any other studio...mixed bag and the rate they release titles they are probably one of the worst studios.
Me I just look at the Blu-rays they released so far and all I can say is that they are some of the very best if not the best from my entire collection.
...Anyway they are quite consistent on overall quality, and I'm very pleased in general (not what I could say before from when they first started with their DVDs).

That's what I see with my eyes and that's that.

Last edited by LordoftheRingsEE; 06-19-2010 at 04:26 AM. Reason: typo
Old 06-18-2010, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE View Post
Me I just look at the Blu-rays they released so far and all I can say is that they are some of the very best if not the best from my entire collection.
...Anyway they are quite consistant on overall quality, and I'm very pleased in general (not what I could say before from when they first started with their DVDs).

That's what I see with my eyes and that's that.
Just saying they are quite consistant on overall quality...with their ANIMATION titles. When it comes to their live action catalog releases they are just as mixed bag as any other studio. I could name plenty of examples...Unbreakable had audio issues (popping), Hero had just an okay transfer, poor subtitling, and lossy Mandarin audio, The Legend of Drunken Master has an awful transfer and no original Cantonese audio, etc. etc. I could go on with more examples of poor releases they have had. I just find it funny that people put them on such a high pedestal when they pretty much have a pretty similar record as other studios when it comes to live action releases and Disney has the balls to give some of these awful releases a $40 MSRP.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:06 PM

I think we could get into a huge debate about Disney scrubbing their classic animated films a little too much and some of them not looking like the original film prints, if Warner did this with their live classics there would be debate but Disney do it and everyone thinks it's ok because it's animation. I have noticed the slight blur effect on some scenes and other detail related issues their clean up can have on some of the classics due to this scrubbing even if others have not or do not care to notice.

Regarding the moratorium, well Europe and the UK gets different releases to North America, for example Dumbo came out earlier this year but North America gets it this year, as for Song Of The South, our tv stations in the UK sometimes play it, i don't understand the fuss and the politically correct views of some, it's been made, release it and if need be put a foreword before the film begins but to hide it seems silly.