'Valentine's Day' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-16-2010, 05:59 PM

Default 'Valentine's Day' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'Valentine's Day.' Hold the phone folks, he says to put away all your preconceived notions about this movie. You might have thought this would be the stinker to top all stinkers (The top stinker is Garry Marshall's other epic: 'Exit to Eden'), but you'd be wrong! This is much, MUCH worse. As for the Blu-ray, it's pretty danged weak too, with troubled video, poor audio, and EPK extras. Skip this.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3233/valentinesday.html
Old 06-16-2010, 06:04 PM

If I didn't know any better, I would have figured that every working actor in Hollywood was in this damn movie.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 06-16-2010, 06:29 PM

Oh, C'mon now. It's not THAT wretched.

Yes, it clods along. Yes, it's ridiculously commercial and obviously money-focused. Yes, it's cloying. Yes, its relationships are written in patently dumb and fabricated emotional shorthand, but it's not the worst film ever made and far from it. VD (there's an unfortunate acronym) sets out to give everyone a warm little hug on valentine's day and to an extent, it does that in its final moments.

It's a Garry Marshall movie. At worst it's dumb. At best it's wincingly OK.
Old 06-16-2010, 06:41 PM

I'm 1000% with you on this one Aaron. I'm wondering lately what's with Hollywood's laziness in the last decade. These romcoms from major studios are simply awful nowadays.

Very sad since it's a genre I greatly enjoy.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 06-16-2010, 07:08 PM

Haven't read the review yet, but I absolutely agree the movie was very, very bad.
Old 06-16-2010, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan V. View Post
Oh, C'mon now. It's not THAT wretched.

Yes, it clods along. Yes, it's ridiculously commercial and obviously money-focused. Yes, it's cloying. Yes, its relationships are written in patently dumb and fabricated emotional shorthand, but it's not the worst film ever made and far from it. VD (there's an unfortunate acronym) sets out to give everyone a warm little hug on valentine's day and to an extent, it does that in its final moments.

It's a Garry Marshall movie. At worst it's dumb. At best it's wincingly OK.
Never said it's the worst film ever made (you should read my 'Wild Things: Foursome' review), just said it isn't worth the time to watch it.

PS - Nice to see you commenting in the forums again Dan.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 06-17-2010, 09:06 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

This is bad, I wonder why in hell they do those type of movies!

Is that because of poor judgement or lack of imagination or both?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:25 AM

I am not usually into this kind of movie, but this was actually pretty decent.
Totally predictable, but looked like the hundred or so actors are all having fun. I also respect not having fart jokes in a comedy.

I already knew this would get a low rating because any guy giving this a 3 stars or higher would get piled on by the other guys because of preconceived notions of "guy"ness :-) I would certainly agree to see this (rather than the sharks and whale or whatever that movie was).
Old 06-17-2010, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Never said it's the worst film ever made (you should read my 'Wild Things: Foursome' review), just said it isn't worth the time to watch it.

PS - Nice to see you commenting in the forums again Dan.
Why, thank you Sir.

Yeah, you didn't say that-- I was just going off the intro to the thread: "You might have thought this would be the stinker to top all stinkers (The top stinker is Garry Marshall's other epic: 'Exit to Eden'), but you'd be wrong! This is much, MUCH worse."

But still-- I'd agree. Is it worth seeing... eh, not so much. There's better ways to spend your time, but if you were doing it to satisfy your lady-friend or some inner romantic you'd never let the dudes know about, you could definitely do worse. What fails this movie is flat direction and fabricated, trite characters.

And here I am character analyzing a mainstream romcom.

As for romcoms as a genre, I'm with the Professor. There's a lot to enjoy in the one-offs that are done well. It's just in the meant time, you've got this cheap treacle pumped out with ridiculous characters, situations and motivation. It's like watching a bunch of children playing grown up-- and that crap is embarrassing (The Ugly Truth, How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days, When in Rome, ad infinitum).
Old 06-17-2010, 01:40 PM

Bad on so many levels, this movie was made so ham-fisted, it would lead one to believe that this was a first time director or script writer in action! The events all tied together like some really bad made for TV soap opera was ridiculous! Ashton Kutcher acts like he is still "punking" someone (in this case--you)! Horrible actor! The guy on the airplane who is really gay and his romantic partner the football star, "who is gay and ready to play"!(had me rolling on the floor)! The "Charlie Brown Valentine" moment where the little tow-headed boy, who has been chasing his Miss Othmar (in this case played by Jennifer Garner) confronts Ashton's character about not making a delivery. What? That didn't even make sense because he was already at the school, making another delivery of flowers to that same woman--yet he forgot? (oh, he was pre-occupied)! What a terrible, half-baked concoction this film is! But, there is hope: like "Showgirls", I'd venture to say that this train-wreck of a rom-com will gather a group of cult followers for years to come, simply to debate and heckle which intertwined story could possibly be considered the worst?