Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2010, 03:45 PM

Default Kelly's Heroes/Where Eagles Dare

can't find the thread on these because there's no link attached on the details page, and search doesn't seem to show one.
anyway, this disc is out now.
anybody get this?
mine is due tomorrow.
I'm dying to know how this turned out.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 PM
Former Member

a reviewer has this in hand, so hopefully we'll see how it turned out pretty soon!

a shame WB didn't send the 10 film box set, as i would have loved to marathon that thing. it's a great price, but i don't have the spare to throw its way, since so many other titles came out the last few weeks.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:09 PM

I picked it up last night and briefly scanned through the discs. The films are on separate BD-50s, which is a good thing as they each run well over two hours.

Heroes looks very good, with no obvious digital processing. Eagles likewise doesn't appear to have been messed around with, but the film element seems to be in rougher shape. And it's very dark. Much of it seems to have been shot day-for-night and the image is downright dim in some scenes.

I've seen this movie on VHS, laserdisc and DVD, and it's never looked all that great. The blu is definitely the best presentation of it so far. There may not be much more that can be done with it short of a full blown restoration.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:21 PM

cool.
I have read that WED looks very nice.
god I wish I had this to watch today.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:48 AM

Got this yesterday. Briefly scanned it and agree that it looks pretty good considering what it could have been. I love Where Eagles Dare and have had various copies in all formats (including a pre-recorded Beta tape from MGM) over the years. From my scan it appears that the Blu-ray tops them all, which it should. Plan on watching it this weekend. Can't wait.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:27 PM

well I watched Kelly's Heroes tonight, and anyone who gets this will be thrilled imo.
imo it doesn't just look "pretty good", it looks fantastic.
I mean you can tell this is a brand new remastered transfer.
the picture starts out with a long sequence at night, and right away you can see how nice this bd looks by the way it handles this sequence.
Many times nighttime sequences can often look horrible, but here this scene looks much better than I would have expected it to.
Once the film moves to daytime one can really appreciate Warner's excellent effort.
the only thing that surprised me is how clean this looks.
I mean for a film from 1970 I would have expected it to show way more grain, and it just doesn't.
I'm honestly not sure how they have managed to make this look so good without it appearing dnred to death, but it is extremely impressive.
I don't know anything about this film so maybe the film stock is the reason it looks like this.
It obviously had a large budget, and maybe it was filmed with a large stock negative; I haven't looked into it.
Anyway, to me this is a very strong classic release, and I highly recommend it.
can't wait to check out the second film.
Kudos to Warner also on an amazing package whereby you get two amazing war classics on two separate discs for under $20.
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
Former Member

at deep discount, in the eastwood set, both films would be 8.2 apiece. i'm still having an internal tug-a-war on that one. want, but don't want to dick with duplicates, and uncertain about packaging.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:50 PM

are these movies pretty good? love Clint., Just picked up the Man with no name blu box and hang em high. Curious about this..
Old 06-04-2010, 12:32 AM

I picked this up today, due to the sole reason that my Dad pleaded with me to buy this. I was going to skip this release entirely, because there were a ton of new releases...but I figured, since my Dad doesn't watch Blu-Rays, that buying these films might be a good introduction to the format for him.

Now the question is, will I enjoy these movies?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:33 AM

Glad to hear that Kelly's Heroes looks so good. I did not scan that one the other night, only Where Eagles Dare. Plan to watch them both this weekend. To those who ask if they will like these films, I would answer that if you like Eastwood, you will like these films. I especially love Eagles. It is one of my favorite films. It has action that sort of plays like a Raiders of the Lost Ark in that our heroes keep jumping out of one frying pan into another as they try to escape capture by the Nazis. One of Richard Burton's best films ever and and an early success for Eastwood. It also owes a lot to Guns of Navarone both having been written by Alistair McLean. Kelly's Heroes, while still having some great action sequences, is a bit lighter in tone with some interesting comedic moments from Donald Sutherland and Don Rickles, to name a few. Carrol O'Connor has a nice turn (pre-Archie Bunker) as a befuddled commander. Both films were made by the same director, Brian G. Hutton.