The Black Dahlia - September 7th - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-02-2010, 11:19 AM

Default The Black Dahlia - September 7th

DVDEmpire has the preorder up.

Last edited by timbobarry; 06-03-2010 at 11:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM

Wow, I've had the Dutch import for quite a while. I'm in the minority, but I totally love this film.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Wow, I've had the Dutch import for quite a while. I'm in the minority, but I totally love this film.
yeah. i was disappointed. imo, it's all style and no substance.
Old 06-02-2010, 03:30 PM

I liked this one more than a lot of the (limited) De Palma I had seen, but it will need to get really low in price before I bite.

Had style to spare though and as always the man knows how to rip-off in style.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
yeah. i was disappointed. imo, it's all style and no substance.
Ive heard nothing but bad things about this. What are the problems with it? Specifically?
Old 06-02-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Ive heard nothing but bad things about this. What are the problems with it? Specifically?
i've only seen it once, almost 4 years ago, so it's hard to say exactly what's wrong with it, but i have pretty much the same feeling now as i did then. it's just one of those movies that is just bad. no exact reason why as there's nothing glaringly wrong about it but it's just not a good film. lots of attractive style but when the credits roll you won't be happy. it's worth checking out though, especially if you're a big fan of De Palma.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:11 PM

Quote:
i've only seen it once, almost 4 years ago, so it's hard to say exactly what's wrong with it, but i have pretty much the same feeling now as i did then. it's just one of those movies that is just bad. no exact reason why as there's nothing glaringly wrong about it but it's just not a good film. lots of attractive style but when the credits roll you won't be happy. it's worth checking out though, especially if you're a big fan of De Palma.
Thanks for the info. I am not a DePalma fan at all really so thats strike one. Your comments and other reviews are strike two. Not looking good. Maybe a rental for some rainy weekend....maybe.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Thanks for the info. I am not a DePalma fan at all really so thats strike one. Your comments and other reviews are strike two. Not looking good. Maybe a rental for some rainy weekend....maybe.
yeah that's pretty much what it is.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:38 AM

I have to say that I had high expectations for this film and really wanted to like it. I love detective films that are based circa 1940's LA or San Francisco. Chinatown may be my favorite film of all time. But as mentioned here already, this is a case of all style and no substance. The Black Dahlia Case is one of the most famous mysteries of Los Angeles and DePalma could have done a lot more with the material here. I found this film way too slow. It bored me and when you hold it up against others of the genre (i.e. Chinatown, Farewell My Lovely, or the Bogart films of the time), it pales by comparison. There is actually a better film that touches on The Black Dahlia Case called True Confessions with Robert DeNiro and Robert Duvall. This too was not a great film but better than DePalma's and the great acting by DeNiro and Duvall manage to keep it somewhat interesting.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:53 AM

Quote:
My man, we agree for once this movie sucked. I saw it in the theater. Was looking forward to it. Ended up being one of the worst movies I have seen. Felt like De Palma ripped off the audience. The story isn't really about the black Dahlia! He just used the title to get people in the theater.. such a waste of my time. Glad to see we see agree on this one. See you soon