We need more classics on Blu-ray! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2010, 03:30 PM

Default We need more classics on Blu-ray!

We really need more classic films on Blu-ray with stars such as Marilyn Monroe, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland, Joan Crawford and Audrey Hepburn. Blu-ray is perfect for classics, just look at "Gone With The Wind", "Casablanca" and "The Wizard Of Oz". They look amazing!

I can't wait to see more classics in high definition! Who's with me?
Old 05-12-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimboBoy View Post
We really need more classic films on Blu-ray with stars such as Marilyn Monroe, Bette Davis, Ingrid Bergman, Greta Garbo, Judy Garland, Joan Crawford and Audrey Hepburn. Blu-ray is perfect for classics, just look at "Gone With The Wind", "Casablanca" and "The Wizard Of Oz". They look amazing!

I can't wait to see more classics in high definition! Who's with me?
Right now it's a one studio show: Warner. So I am hoping that the others classics holders like MGM and Universal decide to really get in the game soon.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Default Yeah

That would be amazing. I'm really looking forward to the release of "Psycho", "King Kong" and "A Star Is Born".

I would love a MGM musical collection too.
Old 05-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimboBoy View Post
That would be amazing. I'm really looking forward to the release of "Psycho", "King Kong" and "A Star Is Born".

I would love a MGM musical collection too.
With MGM trying to sell off their studio to the highest bidder at the moment. Let's hope that it's Warner that gets the deal.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:22 PM

Like anything, its money. Id love to see Lawrence of Arabia come out, as an example.

The problem unfortunately is that many of these titles just dont sell well. Casablanca didnt sell well at all. More copies of Avatar were probably sold in like 30 seconds than copies of Casablanca have sold since its release. Its that bad.

You can blame us young whipper-snappers or whatever. The titles just dont sell well.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Like anything, its money. Id love to see Lawrence of Arabia come out, as an example.

The problem unfortunately is that many of these titles just dont sell well. Casablanca didnt sell well at all. More copies of Avatar were probably sold in like 30 seconds than copies of Casablanca have sold since its release. Its that bad.

You can blame us young whipper-snappers or whatever. The titles just dont sell well.
I bet if Casablanca had gotten an oversize fancy box like GWTW and Oz that it would have sold noticeably better. I mean it just floored me how much stuff is in those boxes and how great the artwork is on the covers.
Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
I'm not a huge fan of the classics (anything pre-1970), but, if done well, Lawrence of Arabia would be the one disc I would definitely purchase. This would be the ideal classic for Blu.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Goofnut View Post
I bet if Casablanca had gotten an oversize fancy box like GWTW and Oz that it would have sold noticeably better. I mean it just floored me how much stuff is in those boxes and how great the artwork is on the covers.
'Casablanca' did get the super-deluxe box set treatment back in December of 2008. It included a leather passport holder and luggage tag, as well as a hardback book and archival reproductions. A very handsome set. Here's a link to HDD's review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/923/casablanca_uce.html
Old 05-12-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
'Casablanca' did get the super-deluxe box set treatment back in December of 2008. It included a leather passport holder and luggage tag, as well as a hardback book and archival reproductions. A very handsome set. Here's a link to HDD's review: http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/923/casablanca_uce.html
But it was not the same size box as the The Wizard of Oz and Casablanca. I am saying that it would have matched those two releases it would have sold better.
Old 05-12-2010, 06:43 PM

Sony needs to get Lawrence of Arabia on Blu yesterday dammit.