'Stagecoach' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-10-2010, 02:52 PM

Default 'Stagecoach' - High-Def Digest Review

Drew has reviewed the Criterion edition of 'Stagecoach.' He says this classic film is given respectful treatment on Blu-ray, with work done to restore the image, but nothing done that would leave "digital soap scum." The extras are out of this world. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3055/stagecoach.html
Old 05-10-2010, 02:57 PM

hmmm, sort of reads like a shill review

Thanks for the "grain of salt," view regarding the transfer, Drew, it's much appreciated, I'll probably give this a try now.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:58 PM

Classic movie. This review makes me want it be in my hands already. That's right. I'm impatient.

I didn't expect it to look like The Wizard of Oz or something, but it's nice to know the transfer does the movie justice.
Old 05-10-2010, 04:31 PM

sounds like a great release considering what they had to work with.
nice review!
Old 05-10-2010, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher & Sons View Post
Classic movie. This review makes me want it be in my hands already. That's right. I'm impatient.

I didn't expect it to look like The Wizard of Oz or something, but it's nice to know the transfer does the movie justice.
yeah that's how i feel. i recently saw the film for the first time so i would know whether or not to buy it, and the transfer on that DVD seems to be lightyears from this. looking forward to it.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:57 PM

While I usually like Criterion I will NOT be picking this up. After watching the documentary "Real Injun" and hearing about the portrayals of Indians in "Stagecoach" I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarang View Post
While I usually like Criterion I will NOT be picking this up. After watching the documentary "Real Injun" and hearing about the portrayals of Indians in "Stagecoach" I don't want to touch it with a 10 foot pole.
To each their own.

Were this film made last year, I would very likely agree with you, but given the context (era) this was made in, I don't.

Ignoring that rascism and stereotyping not only existed to this extent, but was considered acceptable at one time is dangerous. It IS a part of history, one that can be learned from, so while I certainly respect your choice not to watch this, I will be.
Old 05-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Is that you, John Wayne.
Old 05-11-2010, 03:55 AM

I already have the 2006 Special Edition 2 DVD set. The Special Edition 2 Disc DVD Set was "Newly remastered from best available film elements".

I remember watching the SE 2 Disc Set, and thinking to myself how fantastic it looks compared to the last time I saw it on television.

While I'm sure the Bluray would be an improvement, after looking at the screenshots on DVD Beaver, I'm really not that interested, as the difference just isn't that great on a film where the original elements are so screwed up to begin with.
Old 05-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike171979 View Post
I already have the 2006 Special Edition 2 DVD set. The Special Edition 2 Disc DVD Set was "Newly remastered from best available film elements".

I remember watching the SE 2 Disc Set, and thinking to myself how fantastic it looks compared to the last time I saw it on television.

While I'm sure the Bluray would be an improvement, after looking at the screenshots on DVD Beaver, I'm really not that interested, as the difference just isn't that great on a film where the original elements are so screwed up to begin with.
screenshots don't tell the story and do not work as a way of telling how good the movie looks. at least give it a rent.