'Escape From L.A.' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-06-2010, 07:48 PM

Default 'Escape From L.A.' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael Palmer has reviewed 'Escape From L.A.' He says the film is still a mess. Russell's Plisskin is still a badass, but much of the movie is ass bad. This Blu-ray has pretty bad video, pretty weak audio, and a trailer. Buyer, beware.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2511/escapefromla.html
Old 05-06-2010, 07:53 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

No thanks! ...I'll pass!
Old 05-06-2010, 07:54 PM

Love this film.

I also forgot about Michelle Forbes, she's hot.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:09 PM

I do have to say that if you like the film it is a substantial leap above the old POS "nearly unwatchable" non-anamorphic dvd copy.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
I do have to say that if you like the film it is a substantial leap above the old POS "nearly unwatchable" non-anamorphic dvd copy.
Not hard to do.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Blind Buy once it hits $9.99.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakersvh View Post
Blind Buy once it hits $9.99.
Just make sure you watch it blind as well.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:38 PM

I watched this last night, for the first time in a few years, and I didn't think it was as bad as the first time I saw it....

Of course its nowhere close to Escape From New York, its special effects are pretty damn bad, and the movie is cheesy as all hell...but its just undeniably fun to watch. I agree with the reviewer's statement that it IS a B-MOVIE, but its definitely WORTH WATCHING. Hell, I watched it last night, and as soon as it was over I chapter skipped back to the beginning and watched it again LOL. Snake Plisskin and Steve Buscemi are worth the price of admission

Also, I thought the picture quality was better than this reviewer states...but thats just my opinion.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:44 PM

I don't hate this movie, I would much rather have seen a blu-ray of Escape from New York first though. But I kind of see this one as a spoof of the original not so much a true sequel.

To be honest it kind of reminds me of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (although Army of Darkness is a much better movie than Escape from LA) but Evil Dead 2 was a much more raw gritty film with some great moments of silly humor weras Army of Darkness went overboard with the slapstick a little too much for my liking.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bish View Post
To be honest it kind of reminds me of Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness (although Army of Darkness is a much better movie than Escape from LA) but Evil Dead 2 was a much more raw gritty film with some great moments of silly humor weras Army of Darkness went overboard with the slapstick a little too much for my liking.
This is actually a fairly good comparison. Escape From L.A. does take what New York did, and just skewers it; just for the hell of it. lol.

I might just think that Escape from L.A. is a lot of fun too, because I'm from SoCal, and its a good deal of fun to recognize all the in jokes about L.A. thrown in. Its too hilarious, not too enjoy.

EDIT - Also, do people seriously think that "Ghosts of Mars" is a better film than this? I keep reading about how "Escape From L.A." is one of the low points in Carpenter's career, but (bringing back that same argument from the Armageddon thread) EFLA seems like one of AFI's top 100 films of all time, compared to "Ghosts of Mars."