Japanese and Korean movies on Blu-ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-24-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Japanese and Korean movies on Blu-ray?

Why is there so few domestic Japanese and Korean movies on Blu-ray? Considering Sony is a Japanese company, and Blu-ray has a good foundation there you would think they released atleast a couple of the more popular Japanese movies on the format (something like Returner, Battle Royale, Nana, Ju-On The Grudge etc..). I'm sure even people outside Asia are interested in those, especially considering the Blu-ray install base consists mainly of cinema enthusiasts.

Anyway I'm happy that there is atleast a bunch of Anime and JPop music concerts on Blu-ray, I bought a few of those
Old 06-24-2007, 02:01 PM

im not that intersted in Asian films except movies like Kung Fu Hustle which were pretty fun,
Old 06-24-2007, 02:06 PM

i wish they'd put infernal affairs on BD. The American remake just doesn't do it justice.
Old 06-24-2007, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkiller View Post
im not that intersted in Asian films except movies like Kung Fu Hustle which were pretty fun,
I like those too, Blu-ray has a pretty good line-up of the Chinese/Hong Kong movies

Korean and Japanese movies are a bit of an acquired taste, unless you are somewhat familiar to the culture it might be difficult to understand or comprehend certain things. Then the Korean and Japanese are good at different things when compared to hollywood.

Koreans for example in my opinion make good Horror, Drama and Comedy. But generally suck at action movies.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM

it would be nice if more reviewers had access to all those BDs so we can read some reviews on them. the only one i found that isn't a domestic release was GitS: Innocence.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabiose View Post
Koreans for example in my opinion make good Horror, Drama and Comedy. But generally suck at action movies.
They do good action-Dramas though, like A Bittersweet Life

I would definitely pick up a Blu-Ray player if more Asian movies get released on BD. Be warned though, Japanese DVD releases are notorious for not having English subs, but maybe some of the studios will start to catch on
Old 06-25-2007, 06:14 PM

^^ Yea that is true about the subtitles. Atleast with DVD's there is usually a Korean or Chinese version released shortly after with English subs. So when things get rolling I would expect things to be similar with Blu-rays .