'The Untouchables' - High-Def Digest review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 06-22-2007, 01:11 AM
HDD Founder

Default 'The Untouchables' - High-Def Digest review

Just posted Peter's review of 'The Untouchables.' He says the film holds up as a very commercial, very entertaining mob picture, and that this Blu-ray release is a solid catalog effort from Paramount. Though the transfer isn't as strong as some of the studio's other recent catalogue titles, the surprise inclusion of a DTS 6.1 soundtrack, and a nice batch of recycled making-of featurettes helps pick up the slack.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/untouchables.html
Old 06-22-2007, 12:49 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to this release. My only little nitpick with the review is that Peter kept talking about a 2-disc special edition DVD, but it was only a single disc release (at least in R1). Besides that, it's a good review, and I can't wait to pick this one up.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:08 PM

I like De Niro's performance as Al Capone, but Kevin Costner kind of ruins the movie for me.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryinpan1 View Post
I like De Niro's performance as Al Capone, but Kevin Costner kind of ruins the movie for me.
Ditto. I like De Niro in this film, but I think Costner was the wrong choice for this part in this movie. I liked him in WYATT EARP and THE GUARDING was ok. I thought his best movie was JFK. That is about it for me liking Costner movies. I thought he was dull in THE UNTOUCHABLES.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Ditto. I like De Niro in this film, but I think Costner was the wrong choice for this part in this movie. I liked him in WYATT EARP and THE GUARDING was ok. I thought his best movie was JFK. That is about it for me liking Costner movies. I thought he was dull in THE UNTOUCHABLES.
Don't forget about Dances with Wolves, I enjoyed that movie with him in it..JFK was a great movie!
Old 07-03-2007, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fryinpan1 View Post
wow bought blind even though i cant stand costner i swear i think he is only good in The War and Tin Cup (Chris Griffin i wish i knew how he keep getting work too)
Old 07-03-2007, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Das Koopa View Post
wow bought blind even though i cant stand costner i swear i think he is only good in The War and Tin Cup (Chris Griffin i wish i knew how he keep getting work too)
I forgot about THE WAR. That one was pretty good.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkM383 View Post
Don't forget about Dances with Wolves, I enjoyed that movie with him in it..JFK was a great movie!
I tried to watch WOLVES twice and both times I fell asleep. Never really caught on with that movie. Maybe if I get around to it....nah. I will let that wolf lie. I am glad you enjoyed it, just not for me.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:01 PM

Can anyone else confirm that this is indeed DTS-HD HR? It makes no mention of anything other than standard DTS in the packaging or menus.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
I tried to watch WOLVES twice and both times I fell asleep. Never really caught on with that movie. Maybe if I get around to it....nah. I will let that wolf lie. I am glad you enjoyed it, just not for me.
Exactly the same thing happened to me. I tried watching it twice with the wife and both times I fell asleep. Then I decided that I should watch the movie in two sitting and that way I was able to watch it completely in two days.

Good movies but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to long.