'Yojimbo' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2010, 12:58 PM

Default 'Yojimbo' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed the Criterion Edition release of 'Yojimbo.' He says this is great cinema from Kurosawa. This Blu-ray is dynamite, with fantastic video and audio and many enlightening extras. Recommended, though you may want to buy the two pack that includes 'Sanjuro.' http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2901...bosanjuro.html

FULL REVIEW HERE:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2902/yojimbo.html
Old 03-17-2010, 01:47 PM

watched this last week with sanjuro and liked them both a lot, but i personally don't know how much replay value they have for me. however, i watched Throne of Blood last night and loved it, and it's 5ish years older than Yojimbo, so maybe i just needed to watch a few more 50s Kurosawa.

if the 2 pack gets $20 cheaper i'll buy (never happening).
Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
watched this last week with sanjuro and liked them both a lot, but i personally don't know how much replay value they have for me. however, i watched Throne of Blood last night and loved it, and it's 5ish years older than Yojimbo, so maybe i just needed to watch a few more 50s Kurosawa.
Throne of Blood is one of my favorites, maybe because it's a Shakespearean rendition. Regardless, you may enjoy Rashomon, Red Beard, Hidden Fortress, or Ikiru - all of which are unique in their own individual ways.

As to the review, I'm glad people appreciate the commentaries by Dr. Stephen Prince. Personally, I feel he's one of the best in the industry and I tell him so often.

I have my pre-order placed for Yojimbo and Sanjuro! Can't wait!

Last edited by pandemonium; 03-17-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:46 PM

Can't wait for these!

Old 03-17-2010, 05:42 PM

I give this review two thumbs up!

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 03-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Akira Kurosawa is one of those directors where all of their work is pretty much perfect in my eyes.
Old 03-17-2010, 08:21 PM
Former Member

most of his work is damn near legendary, and many are quintessential. however, perfection, i'd give to 1, maybe 2 of his films, even as good as he is. right time, right place, right actors, right topic, right script, it's a hard damn combination.

glad people are enjoying and agreeing, and that no one is upset that i'm doing another kuroasawa after a few felt said way about the RAN review. i'm not one to believe that criterion = better, i don't believe that hype and don't take that placebo. this is just a mighty fine disc, while RAN wasn't. since we may never see RAN in the CC ever again, it's unlikely we'll ever know how much better, if at all, it could/would have been.

Pandemonium- Stephen Prince makes FANTASTIC audio commentaries, and the way he comes off, not like an arrogant ass in the tracks, or a know it all, with so many facets being hit, he earns instant respect. Amazingly, his track for Sanjuro is probably even better than this one. more complete, well rounded, considering he compares both films quite often.

Twonun, i give your comment giving this review two thumbs up two FONZIE thumbs up

Old 03-18-2010, 10:48 AM

Man, being European (and not being able to play region A discs) I'm so pissed it's Criterion releasing this.
I recently bought the "25 Films By Akira Kurosawa" DVD box set from Criterion and would gladly double dip for this..
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliber View Post
Man, being European (and not being able to play region A discs) I'm so pissed it's Criterion releasing this.
I understand your frustration, but for this kind of thing I'd much prefer to pay for a region-free player and import a disc if it means that movies like Yojimbo are in the hands of people who really care about presenting them well and I can enjoy them in this kind of quality.

Sure, it's more expensive, but this disc looks better than a grey-market release print I would have to pay maybe a couple thousand dollars for (if I could even find one).
Old 03-18-2010, 11:32 AM
Watcher of stances

great review, sanjuro and yojimbo are 2 or my favorite films, will definitely order the 2 pack.

glad to see ikuru getting mentioned above, a beautiful film.