'Days of Heaven' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-16-2010, 01:20 PM

Default 'Days of Heaven' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Days of Heaven.' He says this is arguably director Terrence Malick's best work. This Criterion Edition Blu-ray features newly mastered video and audio produced with extensive involvement by Malick himself. The exceptional video and audio is supplemented by some solid extra features. This is a must for fans and highly recommended for everyone else.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2900/daysofheaven.html
Old 03-16-2010, 01:30 PM

You mean DAYS of Heaven.

Old 03-16-2010, 01:45 PM

cannot wait to see this.
an absolutely breathtaking film, and the kind of film blu-ray was made for.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:55 PM

Thanks for the review! A couple concerns...

Quote:
For this Blu-ray edition of the Terrence Malick favorite, Criterion struck a new high-definition transfer from the original 35mm negative
Quote:
the high-def picture is not likely to make an impact on those looking for the latest demo material since it's fairly inconsistent and the print definitely shows its age
So... was this transfer made from the OCN or from a print?

Quote:
Nighttime exteriors maintain better brightness levels, but they also tend to come off a tad too strong, which is the result of intentional photography to shoot in natural firelight.
I'm having a little difficulty with your mixed criticism of the film's rendering on BD and of the production of the film itself. I think you'd provide a lot more clarity here, if your video review focused entirely on the rendition on disc and left out critique of film's images, themselves.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:04 PM

I agree with E. This is my favorite film from Malick. I won't hesitate when Criterion gets their prices back in to my range.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Blind Buy, even though I could have seen the SD DVD, but am thrilled the BD is around the corner.

My favorite Malick film is Thin Red Line--TRL is one of my GF's favorite films of all time.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM

Im scared to rent this because Malicks other works has left me wanting to end my life in a violent fashion. The New World still haunts me for it stotal lack of anything happening. I mean nothing.

Does this film at least have some story of narrative to hang your hat on? Please confirm. I cant chance another slow moving camera fest with no plot or purpose.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:19 PM

probably best to rent this one first Road if your concern is with a slow moving picture with lots of pretty scenery.
that sounds about right.....
maybe get stoned first;
will make it seem profoundly interesting to you.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM

Imo Thin Red Line is his best. Though I think this was a really good film. It focuses on imagery for a while, I think if you shut it off in the middle you will not like it. You have to sit through the whole film and at the end it feels good. Nice score too and a very good simple story. Gere's acting was very weak though, Malick was upset with his performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Im scared to rent this because Malicks other works has left me wanting to end my life in a violent fashion. The New World still haunts me for it stotal lack of anything happening. I mean nothing.

Does this film at least have some story of narrative to hang your hat on? Please confirm. I cant chance another slow moving camera fest with no plot or purpose.
There is a plot but it slowly kicks in. It's got some beautiful imagery for the first 30 minutes. You get to see what's going on and you're introduced to the Farmer. It slowly progresses and the last 30 minutes becomes about the plot but it works. You will want to shut it off but Malick instead satisfies. I went from thinking, "boring where's the plot", "okay I got a handle, now don't cheat me" "nice things are getting good, ah man don't end it now" to "this was a great movie"
Old 03-16-2010, 02:36 PM

As for films and the idea of a story told through visuals, this is one of the best. The Criterion dvd is very good and, like others have said, shows off the beautiful cinematography very well. The BD will just make it that much better from a visual point of view. The storyline of the movie is simple, but that seems to be what Malick intended, as the imagery is what the picture was all about. I believe his idea of 'Heaven' was in the visual in this picture.