'Nine' is coming May 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-08-2010, 10:31 AM

Default 'Nine' is coming May 4

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3124/nine.html
Old 03-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

A must have for me.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:08 PM

A definite buy for me as well. It's too bad the original musical wasn't better material to work with, and I don't think the changes Marshall made helped, but I think the film is worth seeing again.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:14 PM

I'll probably give it a rent.
Old 03-09-2010, 04:04 AM

As you can see from my icon, I'm a big fan of Chicago.
However, I heard very negative things about this one. But since I missed it in the theaters, I look forward to this home release. I'm setting my expectations to "medium".
Old 03-09-2010, 12:26 PM

I really wanted to see this but it got such a small release window in my area (2 weeks).

A big gang of us tried to see it on the second Friday of release and the cinema was shut due to snow (Huh?), with the other cinema being full (by the time we got there). To find the next w/e it had gone .

I'll be picking it up.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:00 AM

I think it's a little too "special" for a lot of people's taste. It's definitely not Chicago. Chicago had very likable characters but it's tough to like Guido in Nine. So, don't go into it thinking that you're going to see another Chicago. And if you're familiar with the stage version, it's very different in tone (and they replaced the best number, dammit).

It's definitely not a musical comedy. BUT, it's a stunning-looking film. Everyone is more beautiful than is legal. Penelope Cruise gives a really excellent performance. And some of the musical numbers are staged extremely well (especially "Be Italian"). Lots of nods to 8 1/2 (maybe more than nods).

I saw it twice in the theatre. And will buy the Blu-Ray.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisquilty View Post
I think it's a little too "special" for a lot of people's taste. It's definitely not Chicago.
"Chicago" had the benefit of a fantastic Kander and Ebb score, a clever book and the template of Fosse's choreography. "Nine" - well. Not so much.

That being said, I knew even as I was watching it that it was the one big holiday release I would definitely be buying on Blu-ray. It's probably of most interest to those who know "8 1/2," like Italian cinema or movies about making movies. Or musicals, I suppose. Anyway, more than anything, it made me wish I could live in Italy in the 1960s.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Quote:
the template of Fosse's choreography.
Marshall didn't use Fosse's choreography. The template he used, though, was Fosse's in Cabaret by isolating all musical numbers to stage performances.

This is an annoying trend that's only meant to trick people into thinking that they're not watching a musical.

They did it with Chicago (but as all numbers are presentational anyway, it works). They did it with Dreamgirls (and cut some stunning recitative and wasted some potentially electrifying performances). And now they've done it with Nine.

Marshall obviously had plans to continue his trend of tricking audiences by trying to get the film version of Follies on his plate...another musical with presentational numbers that he could stage in the same way.

Sniff...sniff...what's that I smell? Is that a one-note director? Or just a formulaic hashjob?

Last edited by whoisquilty; 03-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.