'Lola Montès' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-02-2010, 12:41 PM

Default 'Lola Montès' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Lola Montès.' He says the Criterion Collection has finally given fans a chance to see this beautiful film in its unbutchered form. This Blu-ray looks and sounds tremendous. Extras are also a must watch for fans. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/2835/lolamontes.html
Old 03-02-2010, 12:46 PM

Awesome! I've got this on deck. I'll probably watch it before week's end.
Old 03-02-2010, 01:56 PM

my VHS copy from the library wouldn't work yesterday so i ordered the dvd version from a further source. it'll take more time to come in but i'll have it for a month.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:40 PM

Is there any kind of quality control regarding the quality of writing on the site? Case in point: "Straight to the point: 'Lola Montès' is quite possibly one of the greatest and best films ever made..."

'Greatest' AND 'best'? Must be a good film.

I have been put off from reading so many reviews on HDD because the writing is often horrible.
Old 03-04-2010, 01:52 AM

First of all, this is NOT the first time this transfer has been available - I've had it for close to a year on a region 2 DVD. It's amazing to me that this sort of thing occurs in a review printed on a website. I realize that most of those doing the reviews are not professionals, but a little Google time really does wonders.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:49 AM

Professionals?

Unfortunately, I will have to leave that discussion alone because revealing your ignorance of the writers and brash attitude to condescend the staff is far too easy.

As for the transfer, I am fully aware of its release in Europe from Second Sight. How foolish of me to not recognize that standard definition DVD is comparable to a Blu-ray disc. How about also mentioning the fact that the subtitles are half in the picture and half in the black bar? Is that really how Ophuls wanted his film to be shown?
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-04-2010, 09:09 AM

Haters gonna hate.
Old 03-04-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesheik View Post
First of all, this is NOT the first time this transfer has been available - I've had it for close to a year on a region 2 DVD. It's amazing to me that this sort of thing occurs in a review printed on a website. I realize that most of those doing the reviews are not professionals, but a little Google time really does wonders.
We are an American-based web site. Unless explicitly stated otherwise, our reviews are about discs released in the United States. What E wrote in the review is accurate. This is the first time this transfer has appeared on video in this country. The previous Region 1 DVD from Fox Lorber was terrible.

And, are you really sure that it's the same transfer? Or is it just based on the same film restoration? Criterion may have performed their own transfer of the film elements, which may or may not be different than the one on your Region 2 DVD. Not to mention that the Blu-ray is of course high definition for the first time.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.