'Doctor Who: The Complete Specials' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-25-2010, 07:54 PM

Default 'Doctor Who: The Complete Specials' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed 'Doctor Who: The Complete Specials.' This set took him from newbie to fanatic just about instantly! This Blu-ray collection has varied video -- some good, some standard def -- better audio, and plenty of extras. Recommended, though newcomers may want to dip their toes into the blu-waters before making a purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3059...ospecials.html
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
Nate has reviewed 'Doctor Who: The Complete Specials.' This set took him from newbie to fanatic just about instantly! This Blu-ray collection has varied video -- some good, some standard def -- better audio, and plenty of extras. Recommended, though newcomers may want to dip their toes into the blu-waters before making a purchase.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3059...ospecials.html
Can't wait to read Nate's "Toshwood" reviews. The quality of that series deviates even more than Who does, but unfortunately the main problem with "new Who" has been the series main writer - Russel T Davies. The guy retreads cliche's badly, continually writing himself into a corner and having to write deus ex machina endings. Unfortunately he wrote even more of the Torchwood episodes than he did the Doctor Who ones, but Season 3 (actually not a season at all but a five part story that played out over 5 consecutive nights) smoothed out the crazy variations in quality somewhat.

I think Nate will enjoy the new Who (broadcasting in April in the UK) more because Stephen Moffat is taking over as chief writer. He has been responsible for just three stories during Tenant's reign - but all three received fan favourite reviews. He knows how to write, where Davies just relies on gimmicks and breaks all the rules set over the last 50 years to dig himself out of a hole (so a Time Lord who had no powers has suddenly become some one who can walk through rotating metal fans, levitate himself and fire sparks from his hands - ridiculous!). Unfortunately Doctor Who is such an institution in the UK that it's regarded as treachery to criticise the show in any way. So as head scriptwriter/chief Davies has got away with infantile script editing and stories ever since Who returned, relying on endless gimmicks (especially in casting pop stars or comedians) rather than good story telling.
Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM

That's a little harsh on Davies. Sure he's not exactly Shakespear when it comes to the writing but he deserves incredible credit just for being able to revive the show and bring it back to the prominant position it has today. For all of us fans that had to suffer through the death of 1000 cuts that the show suffered through it's Colin Baker/Sylvester McCoy days the idea that anybody would ever be able to bring it back seemed impossible.

He also wrote 'Midnight' which is one of the best new-who stories to date.

I agree about Steven Moffat though his 4 stories to date

The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances
The Girl in the Fireplace
Blink
Silence in the Library/Forest of the Dead

Have me incredibly excited to see what he can do as show runner

Nate.....Now you have discovered the awesomness that is Doctor Who it's time for you to check out some of the old Tom Baker classics......still the best Doctor we have seen
Old 02-25-2010, 11:05 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
That's a little harsh on Davies. Sure he's not exactly ShakespearE when it comes to the writing but he deserves incredible credit just for being able to revive the show and bring it back to the prominant position it has today.
fixed

Quote:
Nate.....Now you have discovered the awesomness that is Doctor Who it's time for you to check out some of the old Tom Baker classics......still the best Doctor we have seen
now that i discovered Doctor Who, and David Tennant beyond a crappy role in the Harry Potter films....the new Hamlet, and Torchwood are my next ventures, hopefully but yeah, will try to find some classic Doctor soon. doubt we'll see any older Who on BD, considering the source, so i'd have to stream it or something
Old 02-26-2010, 12:48 AM

Nate if you liked Tennant you'll LOVE Eccleston. He was the first Doctor, before Tennant, in the revamp. He's witty as all get out, just fucking brilliant. Charasmatic as can be.
I'm afraid of the new Doctor Who myself as this kid looks like a teenager and I don't know what the BBc was thinking. I don't want Doctor Who Jr., I want a fucking adult.
Can someone also tell me WHY the audio is not Lossless? Given that EACH special seems to be on a separate disc and reading the extra specs. there's no fucking excuse. I'm sick and tired of BBC, or more to the point in the U.S., Warner pulling this bullshit.
Old 02-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Former Member

i won't judge the new guy until i see him in action. fair's fair.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:25 AM

Does anyone know what res the series is not filmed in? Is it 1080i/50?

A shame the BBC have opted for DTS-HR instead of DTS-MA, likely a decision on all releases as this is what Life had.
Old 02-26-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irascian View Post
Can't wait to read Nate's "Toshwood" reviews. The quality of that series deviates even more than Who does, but unfortunately the main problem with "new Who" has been the series main writer - Russel T Davies. The guy retreads cliche's badly, continually writing himself into a corner and having to write deus ex machina endings. Unfortunately he wrote even more of the Torchwood episodes than he did the Doctor Who ones, but Season 3 (actually not a season at all but a five part story that played out over 5 consecutive nights) smoothed out the crazy variations in quality somewhat.

I think Nate will enjoy the new Who (broadcasting in April in the UK) more because Stephen Moffat is taking over as chief writer. He has been responsible for just three stories during Tenant's reign - but all three received fan favourite reviews. He knows how to write, where Davies just relies on gimmicks and breaks all the rules set over the last 50 years to dig himself out of a hole (so a Time Lord who had no powers has suddenly become some one who can walk through rotating metal fans, levitate himself and fire sparks from his hands - ridiculous!). Unfortunately Doctor Who is such an institution in the UK that it's regarded as treachery to criticise the show in any way. So as head scriptwriter/chief Davies has got away with infantile script editing and stories ever since Who returned, relying on endless gimmicks (especially in casting pop stars or comedians) rather than good story telling.
Actually, I think that says it all perfectly. I was never a huge Dr. Who fan, but as a kid I did enjoy the originals. What they lacked in budget they made up for usually with a sincerity of script and effort. They tried. Apart from the occasional viewing due to people who keep telling me I'm missing something, I gave up on the new Dr. Who after that first series with Eccleston. Sheesh, was that dire!

As has been said, only Moffat really seems to have managed to raise any of the stories above the level of puerile idiocy. Davies not only ruined a lot of it due to his over-use of clichés and Deus-Ex-Machina (I'm so tired of that term, but it really is all that Davies seems able to write) endings, but he just made it all so juvenile.

Sure, the old ones were usually semi-kid friendly, but they were never made with 3-5 yr olds in mind, the way Davies seems to think.

Now Moffat's in charge, I may give them another chance, and see if he removes the juvenile elements and gives the show back some bite.

As for Torchwood... yikes, the less said the better. It's so bad, I'm ashamed that other countries have to see what we've created lol!
Old 02-26-2010, 10:26 AM

Doctor Who is an amazing series and these specials are no different. I can understand where the reviewer is coming from, as these specials really should not be watched if you have not watched the previous seasons, but that does not mean they are bad at all. In fact, they are all great except for The End of Time Part 1, which just seems like it was meant to be two episodes with the entire saga being three episodes. Other than that, the finale was top notch and Russel Davies is a pure genius. The entire new series has had only 2 bad episodes in its entirety, and that is something that is hard for a series to do. While I am very skeptical on the new guy playing the Doctor, I look forward to Stephen Moffat being the head guy because he did some of the series most incredible episodes.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM

Nate I'd recommend watching the Moffat episode mentioned above "Blink"... right now if you want to see what a proper modern Dr Who Episode can be. All these specials suck by comparison. It's really a masterpiece of sci-fi/time travel writing. Plus it has a great central performance by the lovely, then "pre-famous", Carey Mulligan. It's an episode that requires no prior Who knowledge at all. He's not in it much actually