'X-Men: The Last Stand (Special Edition)' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-19-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
TDK (non IMAX scenes) and The Matrix are not 5 star worthy either. TDK has uber-thick edge halos and DNR that runs rampant across the entire non IMAX runtime. The Matrix has EE as well.... and a few moments of noticeable blocking.
Agree 100%! I don't know why people point to The Matrix. Nowhere near 5 star PQ...and it's the best of the bunch probably! There are some truly awful looking scenes throughout the Matrix trilogy. Remember when Neo stops the Sentinels? That looks like your worst of the worst MPEG-2 macroblocking! Completely unacceptable.

The Dark Knight is, IMO, at best a 4.5, and that's when you factor in the IMAX material. Shadow delineation is a big fat fail on that disc as well.

As for the original X-Men 3 disc, I didn't think it was that bad. I'd say maybe a 4 or 4.5. The movie was just so friggin gay! Not that there's anything wrong with that... Seriously though, it played like a not-so-thinly-veiled homosexual allegory with a big fat social/political message mishmashed into the final installment of a comic book adaptation.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:46 AM

Just finished watching all three films and i think X2 was the best of the bunch for story wise but for PQ this transfer is the best out of the three.There is more grain than the others but the sharpness of the transfer is top notch.It reminds me of the QOS transfer.
One and two had good transfers but both felt a little soft and i never really got that wow factor.X3 sold me on so many occassions with fine detail and sharp textures.
Love how we can all watch the same Blu ray transfers and differ on what makes a good pq and aq transfer.Also my view on the TDK is that the tranfer is average at best without the Imax parts.Feels like its gone through some kind of processing and a part from a few scenes like the close ups of the Joker the transfer looks very flat.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy b View Post
Just finished watching all three films and i think X2 was the best of the bunch for story wise but for PQ this transfer is the best out of the three.There is more grain than the others but the sharpness of the transfer is top notch.It reminds me of the QOS transfer.
One and two had good transfers but both felt a little soft and i never really got that wow factor.X3 sold me on so many occassions with fine detail and sharp textures.
Love how we can all watch the same Blu ray transfers and differ on what makes a good pq and aq transfer.Also my view on the TDK is that the tranfer is average at best without the Imax parts.Feels like its gone through some kind of processing and a part from a few scenes like the close ups of the Joker the transfer looks very flat.
Which player are you using? I liked this movie too much to not get solid results from this BD as many reviews were scoring. I couldn't change my display obviously but I tried a different BD player and I agree now it is 5.0 PQ regardless of non Imax scenes.
Old 04-26-2009, 04:00 PM

The reviewer of this needs to go back an correct some mistakes he made. First, there are over 20 deleted scenes I believe, not the 13 or so he said. The deleted Scenes are also in HD, not SD as the review stated. Plus that X-3 Xcitement Continues or whatever is also in HD, not SD.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Im Blu View Post
Yes.

I already have the Trilogy on order. Cant beat $48 for 3 good movies
It took more than 2 years but the Trilogy is now $19.99 at Fry's. I think it is time for me to get it.