'X-Men' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-01-2009, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarvin View Post
Ray Park was pretty bad as Toad (not that they gave him much to work with). Storm was definitely weak. They tried to flesh her character out more in X2 and build a connection with Nightcrawler with only middling results. I want them to make part 4 and bring Singer back to the project. The franchise can be saved and I want to see some Sentinels!!
The Sentinels, hell yeah!! Better yet, an adaptation of Days of Future Past!!
If you didn't read the comic, here is some info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Days_of_Future_Past
Old 05-01-2009, 11:12 AM

Actually it would be pretty easy to pop out a 4th. They would just accelerate the time to have Apocalypse as the villain and have Magneto lead the X-Men.

Unfortunately, that bypasses the Sentinel...
Old 05-01-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
Actually it would be pretty easy to pop out a 4th. They would just accelerate the time to have Apocalypse as the villain and have Magneto lead the X-Men.

Unfortunately, that bypasses the Sentinel...
as long as i don't have to hear "i'm the juggernaut bitch" again i'm fine with it
Old 05-01-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
I didn't have any problem with Ray Park. I mean, he was playing THE TOAD, did you really want to see THE TOAD fleshed out more as a character?

I pretty much agree about Halle Berry though- she was the one cast member I didn't feel reflected the character from the comic that well. As for Storm's infamous line, Bryan Singer actually apologizes for it in the commentary! They should release a director's cut where the only change is removing that line- I'd probably buy it

Oh, and I totally agree with your sentiment about a 4th movie- Let Singer come back and end the series with some class before they get too wrapped up in prequels and spin-offs.

Wow, how embarrassing.
Old 05-01-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmcmahan52 View Post
as long as i don't have to hear "i'm the juggernaut bitch" again i'm fine with it
I'm the Juggernaught, Bitch!
Old 05-01-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snadinator View Post
I'm the Juggernaught, Bitch!
it saddens me to hear this
Old 05-01-2009, 01:45 PM

i'm curious about Cyclops being in the Wolverine movie.

maybe they never interact but if they do, i dont care how younger he was, i think Cyclops would remember or least make a connection about Logan from meeting him in the first X-Men movie.

its probably just another case of bad continuity but i hope its explained somehow.
Old 05-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
i'm curious about Cyclops being in the Wolverine movie.

maybe they never interact but if they do, i dont care how younger he was, i think Cyclops would remember or least make a connection about Logan from meeting him in the first X-Men movie.

its probably just another case of bad continuity but i hope its explained somehow.
Storm's in it too, so that would be the case as well.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Wow, trying to understand the Halle hate in this picture. While she's not a major player in this film, neither were the other's outside of Rogue and Wolverine so far as the "Good" mutants. It isn't till X3 where they really let Storm come to the forefront.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
‘X-Men’ doesn’t truly embrace the ideal of acceptance of others to the extent that the sequels did. The main conflict in this film doesn’t involve the anti-semitic, anti-gay/lesbian feelings that have real life parallels that are less than veiled in the later visits to the material. It is not out of the ordinary to see a group of people want to exterminate an entire other group, which is the plot of both sequels, and a recurring theme in history. If anything, ‘X-Men’ has more of a religious parallel than a social one, as the story more closely parallels the idea of converting the masses to a new doctrine and lifestyle, rather than slaughtering them.

What ‘X-Men’ did right is to portray the fear-mongering done by politicians against those they fear, influencing those around them to their rallying cry. Homosexuality is an important analogy in the comics, with the “mutations” developing later in life, that can lead families to disown the family member who is “different.” There are groups championing rights, while others are rallying for more and more ways to remove rights from these people. The comics even went so far as to introduce a mysterious, possibly incurable virus that was believed to only affect a specific group of people, paralleling the AIDS virus and the early misconceptions of those that believed the disease was exclusive to gays. The theme put forth in this first film, as somewhat of a coming out party, where being open about being different leads to persecution, was perfected in ‘X2,’ but is presented in a matter that doesn’t beat one over the head with its obviousness.
You'd think this was a Bracke review.