High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'X-Men: First Class' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/119610-x-men-first-class-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 09-09-2011 04:59 PM

'X-Men: First Class' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'X-Men: First Class' has just been posted. Aaron is a big fan, and he says this Blu-ray is exceptional, with topnotch video, mindblowing audio, and plenty of extras, this is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4502...irstclass.html

rahjelli 09-09-2011 05:32 PM

ran to best buy today at lunch to get it, loved this one in the theaters, can't wait to watch it, glad the audio and video were top notch, that was my only concern

Motorheadache 09-09-2011 06:10 PM

Totally agree with the review-- I thought this was definitely the best superhero flick of the year by quite a lot. I mean, I enjoyed Thor and Captain America well enough, but I think X:FC had a bit more going on in it then just being a silly entertaining movie (although it could get silly at times and of course was entertaining).

By the way, I think it's funny Aaron pointed out two characters he hates, both of which were created by Grant Morrison during his highly regarded "New X-Men" series. The characters work much better in the context of those comics, but I agree that in and of themselves they are pretty lame mutants. Any other X-Men fans hoping we get to see Maggot in the next film? :tongue:

LordoftheRingsEE 09-09-2011 06:59 PM

Where's the 3D? :frown:

Bouncy X 09-09-2011 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordoftheRingsEE (Post 2235402)
Where's the 3D? :frown:

the movie wasn't 3D.

cooltobeyou 09-09-2011 10:13 PM

I just watched this for the first time, and this is EASILY in the top tier of comic book movies with the likes of Batman Begins, Spider Man 2, Iron Man, and Hell Boy 2 (my personal favorite).

After watching this movie, the previous three X-Men films barely exist to me now. I never counted "X-Men Origins: Wolverine" because that film was totally disposable cheese.

What I really liked about this movie, was that the storyline had a lot of weight to it! There was some truly tragic stuff in this movie, and I feel that some of the scenes will stick in pop-culture memory with the same weight as the "Luke I Am Your Father" scene in Empire Strikes Back.

I thought the cast in this was superb too. Whoever it was that played Magneto kicked all kinds of ass! His acting was great, and some of the things they made his character do were just mind blowing. What I really liked about the cast though, was that they worked great as an ensemble. The previous 3 X-Men films really came off as being "The Wolverine Show," because Hugh Jackman just carries those movies and everybody else is fairly weak in comparison. In first class, nobody steals the show from anybody else. This feels like a real X-Men TEAM!

I have to give some respect to Kevin Bacon as well. He could have really hammed it up if he wanted too, but he kept his role more low key. I didn't even know he was in this movie, and when I first saw him on screen I feared the worst. I thought he would be like Gene Hackman in the 70s Superman movies. I guess it's a testament to how well he played this part, that I didn't hear anything about him being in the movie before hand.

My only complaint with this movie is a very minor one. I thought the makeup on Beast looked pretty bad. In some scenes it kind of reminded me of Jim Carey's makeup in the live action Grinch film....

Besides that little quibble, this is a 5 star comic book movie all the way.

Boston007 09-09-2011 10:19 PM

Gotta own this bitches!!!!!!

LordoftheRingsEE 09-09-2011 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouncy X (Post 2235426)
the movie wasn't 3D.

Very unfortunate! :frown: ...And from FOX studios!

rahjelli 09-10-2011 12:02 AM

After audyssey recalibration and some tweaks to my PJ (this viewing had to be perfect) I am happy to say that man this review was on point! Audio was very crisp and deep, the video superb 99% of the time. I loved this movie all over again, will be watching it again over the weekend, who's with me in saying they purposely wrote the scene for michael fassbender strictly off his unforgettable scene in inglorious basterds? Man I hope they forget the other xmen (as good as the first two were) and sequel this asap.

eastx 09-10-2011 12:45 AM

I loved this movie. Xavier and Magneto were great. Some of the other characters needed more development, and the two silent enemies, Riptide and Azazael, might as well just be weapons instead of characters. But the overall story and the performance of the leads makes up for its shortcomings. Can't wait to buy it.