'X-Files: I Want to Believe' -- pre-release thread - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Godstar's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 23,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Banister View Post
Hey Guys,

I have been coming here for a couple of years now and finally decided to jump in to warn you not to blind buy this one. I am a huge X-Files fan and have all 9 seasons but this movie is beyond bad. There is absolutely no action. Not one gun shot is fired, in fact, Moulder and Skully do not even have guns. There is no X-File in the film. You can tell there was no budget. An episode of Lost or 24 has better production value then this film did. The plot is a mash up of ER and CSI on a really bad day. If you need any more reasons to not pick this up I will be around. For those that liked the film....I've got nothing.
That sounds really dissapointing.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Super-VHS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Banister View Post
Hey Guys,

I have been coming here for a couple of years now and finally decided to jump in to warn you not to blind buy this one. I am a huge X-Files fan and have all 9 seasons but this movie is beyond bad. There is absolutely no action. Not one gun shot is fired, in fact, Moulder and Skully do not even have guns. There is no X-File in the film. You can tell there was no budget. An episode of Lost or 24 has better production value then this film did. The plot is a mash up of ER and CSI on a really bad day. If you need any more reasons to not pick this up I will be around. For those that liked the film....I've got nothing.
Bah, different strokes for different folks.

Sure, it wasn't great - trust me it wasn't - but at the same time Anderson and Duchovny have such amazing chemistry it almost makes up for the lacking story. Plus, I don't really know what people were expecting - a budget of 30 million dollars and a total production time of less than a year should've tipped people off that it was going to be less than stellar.

Also (about the bolded) did you ever actually watch the show? Who gives a crap about guns..... it was always about the flashlights.... duh. And even if Mulder or Scully had guns they'd either get it knocked out of their hand or get attacked by something in the shadows before a shot could get fired anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:38 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Bah, different strokes for different folks.

Sure, it wasn't great - trust me it wasn't - but at the same time Anderson and Duchovny have such amazing chemistry it almost makes up for the lacking story. Plus, I don't really know what people were expecting - a budget of 30 million dollars and a total production time of less than a year should've tipped people off that it was going to be less than stellar.

Also (about the bolded) did you ever actually watch the show? Who gives a crap about guns..... it was always about the flashlights.... duh. And even if Mulder or Scully had guns they'd either get it knocked out of their hand or get attacked by something in the shadows before a shot could get fired anyway.
Haha, very true about the flashlights. They were no where to be found either though. The budget is no excuse for this mess. Cloverfield had a budget of around the same I believe and tv shows can manage some pretty cool scenes with a lot less. The flash and effects were just a small part of why the movie was so pathetic. The plot was dreadful. Skully now Googles for answers? Why the hell does the FBI need Moulder?

I keep hearing about the great chemistry in the film but the two leads were barely together in the movie. Half of the time Skully was in the hospital on the terrible sub plot.

Weather we agree or not on the quality of this "movie" would you honestly recommend someone pay $35 to see it in HD?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
grangergamer's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 179
Default

I bought the boxset last year, watched as much as I could of the show until the movie came out, and was extremely disappointed. Don't buy before you at least rent it. I Wanted To Believe
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
Super-VHS's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,570
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Banister View Post
Haha, very true about the flashlights. They were no where to be found either though. The budget is no excuse for this mess. Cloverfield had a budget of around the same I believe and tv shows can manage some pretty cool scenes with a lot less. The flash and effects were just a small part of why the movie was so pathetic. The plot was dreadful. Skully now Googles for answers? Why the hell does the FBI need Moulder?

I keep hearing about the great chemistry in the film but the two leads were barely together in the movie. Half of the time Skully was in the hospital on the terrible sub plot.

Weather we agree or not on the quality of this "movie" would you honestly recommend someone pay $35 to see it in HD?
No, no I wouldn't recommend they spend that much to see this film in HD. I would never recommend anyone spend that much on near any film.... let alone I Want to Believe.

We don't necessarily disagree on the quality of this film. It certainly was disappointing and there is a lot wrong with it.... Compared to a lot of the series it blows (but that's mostly because the series is great) and compared to the other movie it is a disappointment (but that film had over twice the budget and a connecting story arc from the series).

And on budget:

Yes, Cloverfield did have a budget of around the same (and in many ways it is a better film) but honestly if you really think about it, Cloverfield was able to be made for that much (that little) because everything is unfocused, upside down, sideways, shaky-cam that masks a lot of the budgetary limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-16-2008, 03:04 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
No, no I wouldn't recommend they spend that much to see this film in HD. I would never recommend anyone spend that much on near any film.... let alone I Want to Believe.

We don't necessarily disagree on the quality of this film. It certainly was disappointing and there is a lot wrong with it.... Compared to a lot of the series it blows (but that's mostly because the series is great) and compared to the other movie it is a disappointment (but that film had over twice the budget and a connecting story arc from the series).

And on budget:

Yes, Cloverfield did have a budget of around the same (and in many ways it is a better film) but honestly if you really think about it, Cloverfield was able to be made for that much (that little) because everything is unfocused, upside down, sideways, shaky-cam that masks a lot of the budgetary limitations.
Agreed. Bottom line is that Fox and Carter company rushed this movie out the door since they had no summer flick. It was under budgeted, under produced, under marketed and really just a waste of time on everyone's part. I am really hoping they get another go at this for the 2012 mythology but this movie deserved to tank in theaters and should on DVD as well so I highly doubt we will see another flick. Oh well, it looks like "Fringe" maybe the next generation of X-Files how the show has started up.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 25
Default

Some of the backlash against this film is ashame. Clearly they went for a season 2-3 feel and played up the atmosphere, creep factor, and chemistry of M & S and those were always the elements that made the show so effective. X-Files was never an action show and if I remember a lot of people were against the first film for being an action spectacle so with the second they went back to the smaller elements that made the show a success. I loved both films, especially considering they cover both ends of the spectrum and I think compliment the different elements of the X-Files well. I agree its not the greatest x-file ever told but after 200 plus hours how could it be. I felt it was a story with engaging ideas and great atmosphere that was mis-marketed and poorly timed in its release date. Maybe if this came out in October expectation for it would have been different and people could have given it a chance. They also should not have played up the secrecy so much because it created expectations they couldn't reach. I actually think this will do well on video were people may be more apt to give it a chance and complete their collections.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:27 PM
ben1080p's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 11,520
Default

Never was a huge fan of the series and I heard this flick was a letdown so Ill pass!
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:39 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 37
Default

Crappy movie, really. The show was so much better.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
jurassic_pork's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 477
Default

Well I'm happy to hear Fight the Future is coming out on the same day with DTS-MA. Imagine the exploding building and to see John Locke get blown up just sitting in front of that bomb.

Based on all the other chatter I'll have to rent the second one and see if its worth it.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The X-Files - Fight the Future/ I Want to Believe (Zavvi) The Limey SteelBook / Iron Pack 0 04-26-2013 12:26 PM
Believe it, or not!...True or False? Thread. Blu-Bliss The Water Cooler 1 07-14-2009 05:39 PM
'The X-Files: I Want to Believe' - High-Def Digest Review Attebery Blu-ray Software General Discussion 33 12-31-2008 08:08 PM
Since we believe in OAR why don't we also believe in ORR? Sarang Film Forum 9 11-17-2008 03:00 AM
The X-Files: I Want to Believe-One of the worst films of the summer diggumsmax Film Forum 9 07-29-2008 03:40 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off