'X-Files: I Want to Believe' -- pre-release thread - Page 14 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-16-2008, 03:41 PM

I just watched "I want to believe" twice on Blu-ray, the second time with PIP commentary. I liked it. It's a worthy effort, it adds to the series.

I know people were expecting something different, but Mulder and Scully were exactly in character, and it provides continuity. It didn't do as well as hoped theatrically, and maybe that's because people have moved on.

I hope they do make a third film though, to tie in the roll over of the Mayan calendar in 2012. That might draw in action fans, too.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:43 PM

I watched I Want to Believe the other night and really enjoyed it. Maybe it had something to do with all the poor reviews lowering my expectations but it was just great to see Mulder and Scully getting into some old-school X-Files investigating. I know a lot of people were hoping for closure to the mythology in this movie, but in my mind the mythology was over with at the end of "One Son" in season 6, all attempts to continue it beyond that were failures. I found that having that attitude made a huge difference in my enjoyment of the last three seasons on DVD as well. I hated them when they originally aired because I was looking continuation of the mythology, but once I let go of that I found them very enjoyable standing on their own. My hope is that the sales of I Want to Believe do well enough on DVD and Blu-ray that Chris is able to do intermittent standalone TV specials or straight to DVD movies.

Has anyone checked out the complete X-Files Timeline feature on the BD yet? It's pretty great, it has details on what looks like every episode as well as video clips from the shows, indexed via episode number, date, character and phenomena.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:29 PM

Watched 'I Want to Believe' on Blu last night and as with previous poster I enjoyed it for what is was. Partly because of lowered expectations I think but this film is best suited to the 'small screen.' It's definite focus is Mulder/Scully (great to see em back in action) with a few nice tips to the show's legacy. As someone mentioned it is a fine 'epilogue' to the series. X-Files blazed new trails but it's time is over. The movie's subject matter just wasn't fresh (Fringe/CSI/11th Hour ish) with very few scare/edge of seat moments. 'Fight the Future' is a great X-Files blockbuster-type film with 'I Want to Believe' a different animal but satisfying in it's own right. Time to lock the File cabinet for good...

btw - I was playing around with the X-Files timeline feature and this does seem to be great supplement. Gonna take more than a few hours to get to it all. Anyone know how to activate the blue 'links' at the end of the timeline entries (like when it says 'See ICE' or 'See CLONING'?)
Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djwcaw View Post
Anyone know how to activate the blue 'links' at the end of the timeline entries (like when it says 'See ICE' or 'See CLONING'?)
Same question here.