What were your Blu-ray blind buy regrets. - Page 11 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2008, 02:16 AM

I don't have any regrets so far, but I'm being far more careful with blind buying than I was with DVD. Most of the time if I missed the movie in theaters, I'll rent the movie on DVD first (my video store does not rent blu-rays).

One movie I did just blind buy but haven't seen yet is First Blood, since I liked the new Rambo movie. So crossing fingers here...
Old 02-22-2008, 02:27 AM

untouchables

stupid movie. not even close to being historically accurate.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:50 AM

The Lookout
Old 02-22-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDefBear View Post
Total Recall.

Incredibly bad transfer.
I have the British HD DVD and thought it was one of the best catalog transfers I have seen. I guess they used a different one for the Blu-ray. Curious.

Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-22-2008, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxcore View Post

Close Encounters, never saw it before and bought it just to have a nice collector's edition of a classic movie and it was really enjoyable. Great story and acting for an old movie.
I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of "old" movies have really great stories and acting.

Glad you like it though.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleJ View Post
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang was fun and rather hilarious. War is one I'm not rushing to see.
I ended up enjoying War enough not to regret it as a blind buy. I LOVED Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (though it has lossy audio )

I also blind bought:

Hellboy (my biggest regret so far. I love guillermo del toro but this was just too...yeaaaaaaah.... for me...i'm not a fan. biggest regret so far)

Donnie Brasco (haven't seen yet)
Dog Day Afternoon (haven't seen yet)
Gone Baby Gone (very good--between this and KISS KISS i've become a big michelle monaghan fan)
Weeds Seasons 1 and 2 (Loved and immediately got a copy of season 3 from my friend; this show REALLY grows on you)
Cars (haven't finished it yet, and while it's really not great, I don't particularly regret it given my love for all things pixar/disney)
Old 02-22-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rragnaar View Post
I regret The Fly quite a bit. The review on this website sold me on it in a big way, but I really didn't enjoy the movie at all.
Really?? I'll gladly take it off your hands. I have been keeping an eye out for a copy locally to no avail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben View Post
Dreamgirls. I should have known better, but
got caught up in the Academy Awards hype.
You know, Norbit was nominated for an Academy Award.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 AM

Definitely, SYRIANA.

Bought it as a 'used copy', watched it once. Gave it away.

PQ quality is top-rate; however, I thought the movie was the most confusing movie I've ever watched.
Old 02-22-2008, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorheadache View Post
The Rotten Tomatoes score was probably for the theatrical version. The Director's Cut on the blu-ray massively improves the movie and would definitely have a much better score on rotten tomatoes.
Yeah I had read that the Director's Cut improved the quality of the film but I was just kind of bored with it although I admittedly didn't give it a fair chance. I'll throw it on my Netflix queue one day. I basically was eager to get it because the PQ was highly regarded but that wasn't really enough for me to be proud of it in my collection. Whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 View Post
Exactly. But if he can't sit through the first twenty minutes, something like Crank might be more his speed.
Or something else awesome like Star Wars Episode III AMIRITE?! Anakin Skywalker is a badass, kewl icon d00d!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfatrobot View Post
I don't know if you've noticed but a lot of "old" movies have really great stories and acting.

Glad you like it though.
Haha, you have a point there. What I meant was that I didn't expect it to be as enjoyable as it actually was. Recently I've been on a binge watching a lot of classic movies that I've never seen before. My cable DVR got a lot of use recording movies on TCM (or AMC, whatever) where they had a month long run of Academy Award winning and nominated classic movies. I'm trying to expand my horizons and it's owning up to be a nice experience.
Old 02-22-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willxcore View Post

Or something else awesome like Star Wars Episode III AMIRITE?! Anakin Skywalker is a badass, kewl icon d00d!
Sarcasm noted, although I never claimed Star Wars was something epic like KOH. If you find KOH that boring, that's your opinion, and I don't really care either way.