'What Dreams May Come' is coming May 3 - Page 4 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-20-2011, 10:25 PM

With the economy in the crapper like it is, I have no intention of replacing my HD-DVD either. Plays just fine, the BD will not be significantly better, if at all. I've bought WAY too many box sets on LD, DVD, HD-DVD & BD for full price close to release date, only to see them in a bargain bin for a 1/4 the price two months later. I have no mercy for the studios, they made their bed, they can sleep in it. Bargain bins are all I buy from now, no more replacing old formats with new unless significantly better, with the exception of Criterion, they at least have a hope of holding some sort of value. Keep on telling us how cheap your HD-DVD's were, I for one am glad to hear there are other smart consumers out there.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grain View Post
With the economy in the crapper like it is, I have no intention of replacing my HD-DVD either. Plays just fine, the BD will not be significantly better, if at all. I've bought WAY too many box sets on LD, DVD, HD-DVD & BD for full price close to release date, only to see them in a bargain bin for a 1/4 the price two months later. I have no mercy for the studios, they made their bed, they can sleep in it. Bargain bins are all I buy from now, no more replacing old formats with new unless significantly better, with the exception of Criterion, they at least have a hope of holding some sort of value. Keep on telling us how cheap your HD-DVD's were, I for one am glad to hear there are other smart consumers out there.
That's all I'm doing. Some people are just bitter.
Old 01-21-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesaintsarecoming View Post
Do you have to point this out in every thread?

Daylight:

Fear and Loathing:

Lost in Translation:

Hot Rod:

Great. We all understand you paid $3 for a movie on a dead format. Congrats! Good for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Yes because everyone who buys the bluray is paying full retail price for it and has OCD issues. Sometimes the transfer is better, sometimes there are more extras and who the hell pays full retail price for blurays especially catalog titles?

The problem we have with your hd-dvd posts is that you come off as some person who thinks he's smarter than everyone. You don't know if it's going to be a worse transfer or a better transfer or the same transfer. LIke someone said it's annoying, we know you love HDDVDs.
A lot of us importers will say something similar when a movie that's been available overseas for a while finally gets a stateside release. "I got the ______ import. Not planning to double dip" is a common refrain. You guys gonna complain about this, too?

Bravo to Cheez for getting while the getting was good.

Also, I loved this flick in theatres. Can't wait to see it again in HD!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
As a dual format owner I fail to see why myself, or any other HD DVD owner would pay a higher price for a comparative product. I agree in saying HD DVD is no longer an active format, but please don't say it is an inferior format.
I completely agree here. In fact, in response to another post, I like hearing about the imports. As a dual-format owner, and someone who has imported a few titles, I like hearing about getting a discount here and there. I think I have tapped what I want out of the HD-DVD pool, but I honestly did not know this title was ever released - don't know how I missed it.

Also, as a dual-format owner, I like seeing in reviews how a movie on BD compares to its HD-DVD counterpart. If there is a better transfer or a significant amount of new material that I am interesting, I'll double dip. If the BD, as is usually the case, is simply recycling the HD-DVD transfer, what is the point of double-dipping? My HD-DVD player works fine (although its way slower than my PS3, boo-hoo). So please, let us know if a movie is also available on HD-DVD or as an import.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:47 PM

Just started watching this and so far its dvd quality at best....a shame really.

Edit: The transfer was ok....colors not as vivid as I would have liked, not eye popping as one would want with such a colorful movie. In some parts the video was not that great while in others it was spot on. Sound was excellent tho I found.

3.5/5

Last edited by Tachaeon; 05-03-2011 at 06:38 PM.