'What Dreams May Come' is coming May 3 - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Wait, its available on HD-DVD? Heading to Amazon now!

edit: Nevermind, I will wait for the Blu-Ray. There is NO reason this day and age that a used HD-DVD should run $35, and $40 for it new!
Wow, that is HUGE! I didn't know it was that expensive.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, I have to point it out. Why wouldn't I? Does it make sense for people to buy a $20 film on a currently existing format when you can or could have just bought it for pennies on the dollar? Of course it doesn't make sense, but people, for whatever reason, want a more "uniformed" collection which is a cop out to some OCD issues. People should have kept their hardware and scooped up some $3 movies. Don't blame me for that.
Yes because everyone who buys the bluray is paying full retail price for it and has OCD issues. Sometimes the transfer is better, sometimes there are more extras and who the hell pays full retail price for blurays especially catalog titles?

The problem we have with your hd-dvd posts is that you come off as some person who thinks he's smarter than everyone. You don't know if it's going to be a worse transfer or a better transfer or the same transfer. LIke someone said it's annoying, we know you love HDDVDs.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
Yes because everyone who buys the bluray is paying full retail price for it and has OCD issues. Sometimes the transfer is better, sometimes there are more extras and who the hell pays full retail price for blurays especially catalog titles?

The problem we have with your hd-dvd posts is that you come off as some person who thinks he's smarter than everyone. You don't know if it's going to be a worse transfer or a better transfer or the same transfer. LIke someone said it's annoying, we know you love HDDVDs.
I've yet to see a any Blu-ray port be "better" than the HD-DVD counterpart. Who said retail? Even at the rock bottom price of $19.99 vs. $3, there is no comparison. Do the math.

Uh, I'd look in the mirror if I were you before you start spouting of on who's trying to be smarter than anyone else.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:32 PM

Decent movie, never read the book. Also I agree with others, the visual effects are fantastic! I think I may try to scoop this up on HD DVD.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_9999 View Post
The DVD was just awful. EE everywhere and any sort of fine detail just looked like mush. I'll be getting this one.
Yeah, the DVD was an old "THX Mastered" disc, which is code for Edge Enhancement city. The HD DVD had some e.e. problems, but nowhere near as bad as the DVD. I gave it a solid 3.5 out of 5 when I reviewed it at DVDTalk. I'd expect the Blu-ray to be the same transfer as the HD DVD.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:55 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Yeah, I have to point it out. Why wouldn't I? Does it make sense for people to buy a $20 film on a currently existing format when you can or could have just bought it for pennies on the dollar? Of course it doesn't make sense, but people, for whatever reason, want a more "uniformed" collection which is a cop out to some OCD issues. People should have kept their hardware and scooped up some $3 movies. Don't blame me for that.
i think of it like a game. will the thread have G saying 3 dollars, ninja!!!!!, or won't it? will people get all pissy when he says he did, or won't they.

so far i'm pretty dead on. i don't like to jinx threads by saying "incoming G at 3!!!," since that may prevent the people freaking out when you do.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I've yet to see a any Blu-ray port be "better" than the HD-DVD counterpart. Who said retail? Even at the rock bottom price of $19.99 vs. $3, there is no comparison. Do the math.

Uh, I'd look in the mirror if I were you before you start spouting of on who's trying to be smarter than anyone else.
I don't come off as smarter than anyone else, I come with reasoning for my opinion, and i believe there were a few transfers better than HDD but i could be mistake but only a few people still have HDD players, so good for you got the HDD no reason to go around and parading about it.

And as for the blu, actually it does hit less than 19.99, that's low for a new release but catalog titles usually hit 10 dollars sometime down the road.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idioteque... View Post
I don't come off as smarter than anyone else, I come with reasoning for my opinion, and i believe there were a few transfers better than HDD but i could be mistake but only a few people still have HDD players, so good for you got the HDD no reason to go around and parading about it.

And as for the blu, actually it does hit less than 19.99, that's low for a new release but catalog titles usually hit 10 dollars sometime down the road.
Who's parading? I'm making a statement. Nothing more.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:

There are actually a few EARLY HD-DVD releases that are better than their Blu-Ray counterparts (I'm looking at you, Phantom of the Opera - no lossless audio on the Blu-Ray). That being said, I got about 25 movies on HD-DVD, and I doubt that will grow.

I bought my HD-DVD player a month before the end of the format wars, mainly because I saw the end coming. I only paid full price for The Matrix Trilogy and Transformers - EVERYTHING else I picked up for under $15, and in many cases, under $10. Why? Because they were either not available on Blu-Ray at the time, or there was a HUGE difference in price (Sleepy Hollow for $8, versus $25 at the time, on Blu-Ray). My HD-DVD collection is mostly what I consider B movies. I do have a few exceptions, the beforementioned Transformers, Matrix, Constantine, and Willie Wonka, but most of the rest of the movies I rarely watch. Probably wouldn't have paid more than $10 for them on any format. As such, my HD-DVD player does not get nearly as much action as my PS3, and as such, I expect the player to last at least another five years or so. By the time it finally breaks, I expect that I can get my movies on Blu-Ray or the next format for about $5-$10 a piece.

That being said, I will pick this up on Blu-Ray, as apparently the HD-DVDs are going for insane prices now. Didn't realize this movie was in such high demand.
Old 01-20-2011, 04:17 AM

I am glad to see I am not alone in liking this film, despite being far from perfect!!

I have always found the biggest problem with this film to be casting. I don't know what it is, but Robin Williams and Annabella Sciorra just don't make a believable couple, which effectively kills the suspension of disbelief for the whole film.

There are other issues as well, like clunky dialogue and some continuity errors... but I think with a change of cast, these other problems wouldn't have been as noticeable.

In terms of imagination and visual wonderment, the film delivers in spades... and anyone who hasn't seen it should certainly give it a chance. The score is quite possibly my favourite Michael Kamen score too... so the film is usually a pleasure to watch (for me at least).

I have the HD-DVD (didn't pay $3 though... full price back in the day). Maybe I should sell it and get two blu-s for it??!?