High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   Wal-Mart can go F themselves. (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/13679-wal-mart-can-go-f-themselves.html)

Shibblet 07-31-2007 10:44 PM

Wal-Mart can go F themselves.
 
I go into Wal-Mart this morning to get a copy of 300 on Blu-Ray. They were out of stock. I kind of expected that to happen, but when I asked when they were going to get more, the employee told me...

"We are going to have some more next week, probably the same amout we had today."

And I had to ask, "How many was that?"

He replies with "8"

I said, "8 copies? Please tell me you mean 8 boxes."

"Nope." he replied, "Only 8 copies."

So I left and called Best Buy in Anchorage. They told me they had 2 left. And after hearing that I had to ask the question, "How many did you order?"

"About 1000." the guy on the phone says, "It's a really popular movie, sir."

"Oh, I get that, and the fact that you ordered 1000 means something. Wal-Mart only ordered 8."

And the dude at Best Buy says "8 boxes, you mean?"

I laughed and said, "Nope, just 8 copies."

winstonshu 07-31-2007 10:45 PM

lol. that's hilarious.

well... i suppose walmart's target demographic isn't exactly the HDTV owning type...

bone crusher 07-31-2007 10:54 PM

The poster is right, 300 is a friggin' huge movie and they shoudl have a huge amount of copies. Seriously they should start buying tilt back shippers of these movie like they do for SDVD. I absolutley guarantee you that when Transformers hits BD it will sell through the roof...at least as good as 300.

Shibblet 07-31-2007 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bone crusher (Post 228420)
The poster is right, 300 is a friggin' huge movie and they shoudl have a huge amount of copies. Seriously they should start buying tilt back shippers of these movie like they do for SDVD. I absolutley guarantee you that when Transformers hits BD it will sell through the roof...at least as good as 300.

Not only is it bad for customers, but it's just plain stupid. If Best Buy could sell 1000 in their first 4 hours of opening, then Wal-Mart could have too.

Secondly, Wal-Mart did have 2 Pallettes of the DVD version. But only 8 copies of the HD-DVD Version as well.

CaptainCanuck 07-31-2007 11:03 PM

Walmart isn't exactly dealing with upscale clientelle for the most part so i'm not surprised.

bone crusher 07-31-2007 11:11 PM

I don't know how many my Futureshop got but when I went there at about 7:30pm they only had three copies of it left on BD. My guess is that they only ever has about 10-15 copies.

I live in a smalller city and there is only two places to buy BDs...Walmart and Futureshop. So when somebody runs out of something there are not a lot of other places to try and check.

Shibblet 07-31-2007 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck (Post 228435)
Walmart isn't exactly dealing with upscale clientelle for the most part so i'm not surprised.

I couldn't agree more.

However, if Wal-Mart is trying to do this cheap HD-DVD drive stuff, you'd at least think they would have more copies of the HD-DVD version.

8 of each?!?!?! That's it, they actually think that 16 whole people have the ability to play HD or BD's?

They've sold over 500 XBox360 Add on Drives, they've sold over 500 PS3's at this location. Who the hell did they think was buying those units?!?! PS3's I can understand thinking it's just a game console, but the Add On Drive for the Xbox? THERE IS NO OTHER REASON TO HAVE IT, BESIDES TO PLAY HD-DVD MOVIES!!!

Wal-Mart is retarded.

mrkiller 08-01-2007 12:10 AM

Walmart, HMV, EBgames, MusicWorld, CinemaWorld, ect. ... they all SUCK in HD, they only have a few movies with high prices.

Future Shop and Best Buy are the best, they have low prices and every new release

mrkiller 08-01-2007 12:12 AM

i was lucky at Future Shop and i got 1 last copy of Hot Fuzz, I asked and the guy said there were around 10 copies and i got it at around 3 PM,

ERICHroxx 08-01-2007 12:20 AM

My FS has about 100 BD's and 40 HD DVD's. And this was at four O'clock.

GhostRider 08-01-2007 12:45 AM

My Wal-mart actually had 8 Blu-ray 300's in and one HD-DVD one some one hid behind the regular 300's. I wonder if they only ordered 8 as well?

Nicodimus22 08-01-2007 12:48 AM

The part of this that amazes me is this:

8 Wal*mart customers bought a Blu-Ray movie, on the same day.

That just blows my mind. If I was Wal*mart I probably would have ordered 0
copies since it just seems like trailer trash with little or no money is the
vast, vast majority of its customers, and they'd never own a HDTV or a Blu-Ray player.

Then again, there is always the possibility that they were purchased by
people who thought they were DVDs and will be returned after they try to
play them in standard DVD players (or VCRs if you're in a REALLY rural
location.)

Nicodimus22 08-01-2007 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vooswing (Post 228627)
I bet if we were to do a poll most of the people on this site go to Walmart atleast once a month for something. Saving money isn't something only poor people like to do.

Most of the things at Wal*mart can be found cheaper online. I guess if you
go there for groceries or something...I dunno. I just can't stand the whole
scene. Have to park very far away, walk through lines of cars, wade
through the humanity to find what you want inside, wait in line to get
checked out, through more cars, all the way back to where you parked,
and for what? Something you bought was $14.87 instead of $14.99? Ugh.

Shibblet 08-01-2007 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 228634)
Most of the things at Wal*mart can be found cheaper online. I guess if you
go there for groceries or something...I dunno. I just can't stand the whole
scene. Have to park very far away, walk through lines of cars, wade
through the humanity to find what you want inside, wait in line to get
checked out, through more cars, all the way back to where you parked,
and for what? Something you bought was $14.87 instead of $14.99? Ugh.

I completely agree. Wal-Mart does that in my town all the friggin time. Brand New Movie comes out, and they have it for a smokin' $19.35, instead of $19.99 at Fred Meyers.

Blow those savings out your ass. It's not like I'm going to be buying mulitple copies of the same damn movie.

It's good to know that the company who holds 40% of the U.S. DVD sales marketshare, could care less about BD or HD.

I'll say it again. Walmart can F themselves.

TaiwaneSTUD 08-01-2007 01:12 AM

the futureshop here had 100 HD DVD copies of 300, by noon there's about 75 left. (25 copies gone in 1.5 hrs.)

taygan315 08-01-2007 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck (Post 228435)
Walmart isn't exactly dealing with upscale clientelle for the most part so i'm not surprised.

Agreed. Half the time when I ask a Walmart employee where are there blu ray movies, I get looks of confusion and a irritating sound from them saying ''what?''

Patsfan123 08-01-2007 09:44 AM

Hey, whats with all the Wal-mart bashing?? I used to work there and although it wasn't the greatest place, it wasn't half bad. All the movies and players I have bought came from Wal-Mart's payroll. Why bash Wal-Mart so bad when Target is the same way? We went to 2 Targets last night looking for 300. The first had 0 BD and 0 HD. The second one, in a poorer area had 3 BD and 1 HD copy. I think Target and Wal-Mart are about equal in their HD offerings since both had clueless employees(besides me), and limit selection with high prices.
Even when you go to Best Buy, it seems half the people don't know what you are buying when you bring up an HD DVD or Blu-ray. Plus I hear more misinformation being spread there than anywhere else. At least at Wal-Mart and Target they don't know anything.

bsweetness 08-01-2007 09:50 AM

My Blu-ray copy is on it's way from Amazon, but after work yesterday I stopped by Wal-Mart to see if they might have a copy (I was going to pick that one up, if they had it, and return the one that will come in the mail later this week). My local Wal-Mart occasionally gets a Blu-ray movie or two, but it's usually stuff no one wants and it sits there forever ("Ghost Rider," "The Guardian"), and they don't even carry HD DVD's at all. Well, they had a huge display right up front for "300" with tons of dvd's. Down at the bottom there was a lone slot with a tag for the Blu-ray version, but no discs. So I walked back to electronics and asked if they had any copies. The employee, who actually knew what I was talking about, said: "No, sorry, we sold out of all of them. We only got five copies and they were all gone as soon as we set up the display around midnight. I don't know why, but this store really underestimates the number of people around here who are into high def. You're literally the forty-second person to ask about that today. I've been keeping track so that I can show the manager that there is a big demand for them."

My local Wal-Mart is a little nicer than most, and it's located right down the street from a major university, so there's a big gaming/technology community around here. I can't believe they only got five copies of what will be one of the biggest sellers of the year.

Patsfan123 08-01-2007 10:05 AM

BTW all of the stocking is done by computers at Wal-Mart. So all of the stores that get a few copies is not because of a manager. The computer automatically places orders so that people don't have to. Unless a manager goes in and overrides an order, it's completely automated. Also, if they do place an order, it takes weeks for the stock to come in..

sadisterotica 08-01-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 228634)
Most of the things at Wal*mart can be found cheaper online. I guess if you
go there for groceries or something...I dunno. I just can't stand the whole
scene. Have to park very far away, walk through lines of cars, wade
through the humanity to find what you want inside, wait in line to get
checked out, through more cars, all the way back to where you parked,
and for what? Something you bought was $14.87 instead of $14.99? Ugh.

This is exactly why I don't go there. Plus, the emplyees are not all that friendly or even care that you are there. Although, I did find a Wal*Mart that is too far away from me to think about going to that isn't all that busy, the customers are a little more respectable, but I am not going to waste $5 on gas to save 50 cents.

glocks out 08-01-2007 01:02 PM

I haven't been to Wal-Mart in almost 2 years.

taygan315 08-01-2007 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patsfan123 (Post 229125)
Hey, whats with all the Wal-mart bashing?? I used to work there and although it wasn't the greatest place, it wasn't half bad. All the movies and players I have bought came from Wal-Mart's payroll. Why bash Wal-Mart so bad when Target is the same way? We went to 2 Targets last night looking for 300. The first had 0 BD and 0 HD. The second one, in a poorer area had 3 BD and 1 HD copy. I think Target and Wal-Mart are about equal in their HD offerings since both had clueless employees(besides me), and limit selection with high prices.
Even when you go to Best Buy, it seems half the people don't know what you are buying when you bring up an HD DVD or Blu-ray. Plus I hear more misinformation being spread there than anywhere else. At least at Wal-Mart and Target they don't know anything.

I will say this Patsfan123...Walmart does have great prices on bd and hd dvd. BB and CC do spread alot of misinformation as well. Not all Walmarts are bad I realize but the people that work at mine either dont care what your looking for or dont know.

HD Guru 08-01-2007 04:46 PM

that's pretty cool that your local bb ordered 1,000 copies

this is going to eclipse the departed as the best sellling hd disc within a very short period of time

HD Guru 08-01-2007 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patsfan123 (Post 229125)
Even when you go to Best Buy, it seems half the people don't know what you are buying when you bring up an HD DVD or Blu-ray. Plus I hear more misinformation being spread there than anywhere else. At least at Wal-Mart and Target they don't know anything.

that is a very good point and i 100% agree with you

Arkadin 08-01-2007 04:50 PM

[QUOTE]
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 228634)
Most of the things at Wal*mart can be found cheaper online. I guess if you
go there for groceries or something...I dunno. I just can't stand the whole
scene. Have to park very far away, walk through lines of cars, wade
through the humanity to find what you want inside, wait in line to get
checked out, through more cars, all the way back to where you parked,
and for what? Something you bought was $14.87 instead of $14.99? Ugh.

What do you mean? that's the fun part.

squall4008 08-01-2007 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkiller (Post 228544)
Walmart, HMV, EBgames, MusicWorld, CinemaWorld, ect. ... they all SUCK in HD, they only have a few movies with high prices.

Future Shop and Best Buy are the best, they have low prices and every new release

Best Buy is definitely more expensive than Wal-Mart
300 Wal mart $23 Best Buy $30
usual suspects Walmart $27 bestbuy $35
but since walmart has terrible stock thank god for pricecheck

Shibblet 08-01-2007 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patsfan123 (Post 229125)
Hey, whats with all the Wal-mart bashing?? I used to work there and although it wasn't the greatest place, it wasn't half bad. All the movies and players I have bought came from Wal-Mart's payroll. Why bash Wal-Mart so bad when Target is the same way? We went to 2 Targets last night looking for 300. The first had 0 BD and 0 HD. The second one, in a poorer area had 3 BD and 1 HD copy. I think Target and Wal-Mart are about equal in their HD offerings since both had clueless employees(besides me), and limit selection with high prices.
Even when you go to Best Buy, it seems half the people don't know what you are buying when you bring up an HD DVD or Blu-ray. Plus I hear more misinformation being spread there than anywhere else. At least at Wal-Mart and Target they don't know anything.

Simple fact of the matter is... If you worked at Wal-Mart, then you should know how ignorant people in the electronics section are.

Secondly, if you are on this forum, you do not fall into the common place intellegence.

glocks out 08-01-2007 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by taygan315 (Post 229058)
Half the time when I ask a Walmart employee where are there blu ray movies, I get looks of confusion and a irritating sound from them saying ''what?''

Maybe it's because they didn't understand what you were saying because of the mis-spellings. I kid, I kid.

Biosynthnut 08-01-2007 08:10 PM

My store had neither version HD or BR. Which surprised me since this is probably the biggest summer dvd release this year.

illegalprelude 08-01-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 228622)
The part of this that amazes me is this:

8 Wal*mart customers bought a Blu-Ray movie, on the same day.

That just blows my mind. If I was Wal*mart I probably would have ordered 0
copies since it just seems like trailer trash with little or no money is the
vast, vast majority of its customers, and they'd never own a HDTV or a Blu-Ray player.

im with this guy lol

Shibblet 08-01-2007 09:05 PM

They control 40% of the US DVD Marketshare. Trailer trash could make or break HD or BD.

squall4008 08-01-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibblet (Post 230860)
They control 40% of the US DVD Marketshare. Trailer trash could make or break HD or BD.

how many trailer trash people do you know with HDTVs?
aand assuming you do know some do you think they would know that there is a magical device that outputs HD content or do you think they would connect a dvd player over composite

Nicodimus22 08-01-2007 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patsfan123 (Post 229125)
Why bash Wal-Mart so bad when Target is the same way? Even when you go to Best Buy, it seems half the people don't know what you are buying when you bring up an HD DVD or Blu-ray.

I've never seen a Best Buy or Target, so I can't fairly compare them to Wally World. I am aware of their existence, but I guess they're not in this area (rural PA.)

Shibblet 08-01-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicodimus22 (Post 230977)
I've never seen a Best Buy or Target, so I can't fairly compare them to Wally World. I am aware of their existence, but I guess they're not in this area (rural PA.)

There are no Target stores in Alaska as of yet. We should have a few in the next year. And I will be incredibly happy when we get one! I will never go to Wal-Mart again.

As far as intellegence goes... Wal-Mart apparently hires people who don't have a clue about whatever position they are put in. Electronics aside, go to the garden center and ask a garden question. You will get the same response that you get in Electronics. Er, der dee der dee der...

I actually watched a dude buy an HD-DVD at Wal-Mart once, and the guy at the counter asked him if he had an HD-DVD player. The customer said "No, I didn't know that I needed one." So the Wal-Mart employee decided that this was the best time to sell him an HD Up-Conversion DVD player. "This will play that DVD" said the employee.

I felt so incredibly bad for the situation, I had to pipe in and say "No, it won't. That unit plays DVD's only, you need an HD-DVD player."

"But this one says HD Conversion right on it. I know my job."

I responded curtly with "I'm sure you do." Then I glanced at the customer. "Sir, if you buy that player, it will not play that HD-DVD. Period."

And the customer looked at me, and then looked at the Wal-Mart employee and asked "Is he right about this?"

The Wal-Mart employee said... and I quote. "He doesn't know what he's talking about."

I responded with "Whatever F*cktard." And happily left Wal-Mart!

I truly wish I could have been standing at the returns counter the next day... I would have LOVED that.

bone crusher 08-01-2007 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glocks out (Post 229477)
I haven't been to Wal-Mart in almost 2 years.

Congrats, i wish I could say the same. I'm not a fan.

StoogeFan1118 08-02-2007 12:02 AM

I dont really like Wal-Mart I may go there occasionally if I am in the area of a local one (i always feel so dirty and hickish when i leave so I avoid going there I fear if I stay there to long i will come out lookiing and acting like a local spanish hick, the majority of that area is loaded with poor spanish people0other than that I go to Newbury comics, Target, or Amazon for my BD or HD DVD movies. Last Time I went ti the local wal-mart they only BD movie in the whole damn store was one copy of Premonition so I bought it. I copy of one movie. I work at Target and we are now starting to carry more Blu-ray movies. We have tons of copies of each new release now. when the format first came out that was a different story. I am not sure if it is the same at Targets where you arebit it is at the ones that I have been in around here(Massachusetts), So PatsFan Target and Wal-mart are not the same when it comes to blu-rays or HD DVDS. I bought my copy of 300 at the Target that I work at we had about 250 copies on each high def format and tousands od SD DVDS.

messin18 08-02-2007 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shibblet (Post 228403)
I go into Wal-Mart this morning to get a copy of 300 on Blu-Ray. They were out of stock. I kind of expected that to happen, but when I asked when they were going to get more, the employee told me...

"We are going to have some more next week, probably the same amout we had today."

And I had to ask, "How many was that?"

He replies with "8"

I said, "8 copies? Please tell me you mean 8 boxes."

"Nope." he replied, "Only 8 copies."

So I left and called Best Buy in Anchorage. They told me they had 2 left. And after hearing that I had to ask the question, "How many did you order?"

"About 1000." the guy on the phone says, "It's a really popular movie, sir."

"Oh, I get that, and the fact that you ordered 1000 means something. Wal-Mart only ordered 8."

And the dude at Best Buy says "8 boxes, you mean?"

I laughed and said, "Nope, just 8 copies."

I smell BULLL SHIT. No way a single best buy is going to order 1,000 copies of any single blu-ray movie. I doubt they'd even order 1,000 copies of SD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray combined. And you're trying to tell me your best buy SOLD 992 copies of 300 in 2 days? :D :-#

They have room for what 100-200 copies max on the shelf?

How much inventory would they hold in the back? I know fry's inventory is almost nearly all that's on the shelf and none in the back.

CaptainCanuck 08-02-2007 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by messin18 (Post 231219)
I smell BULLL SHIT. No way a single best buy is going to order 1,000 copies of any single blu-ray movie. I doubt they'd even order 1,000 copies of SD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray combined. And you're trying to tell me your best buy SOLD 992 copies of 300 in 2 days? :D :-#

They have room for what 100-200 copies max on the shelf?

How much inventory would they hold in the back? I know fry's inventory is almost nearly all that's on the shelf and none in the back.



Probly a 1000 of them total. Blu ray/hd dvd aren't nearly that popular .

Shibblet 08-02-2007 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by messin18 (Post 231219)
I smell BULLL SHIT. No way a single best buy is going to order 1,000 copies of any single blu-ray movie. I doubt they'd even order 1,000 copies of SD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray combined. And you're trying to tell me your best buy SOLD 992 copies of 300 in 2 days? :D :-#

They have room for what 100-200 copies max on the shelf?

How much inventory would they hold in the back? I know fry's inventory is almost nearly all that's on the shelf and none in the back.

Smell Bull shit all you like. I didn't say they had 1000 copies. I said that the clerk claimed they had 1000 copies. More than likely he was exaggerating. However the point was they clearly purchsed more than 8.

You also haven't seen the buying power of an Alaskan public. We have one Best Buy in the entire state. One in Anchorage. People from all over this state mail-order from there. And when a new release movie of that magnitude hits the shelves, they're gone. You should have seen what happened when Return of the King was released... pandemonium.

pkremer 08-02-2007 02:14 AM

I think it is pretty unfair to say that only trailer trash shop at Wal-Mart. I am a medical professional with a very decent salary and I do a large grocery and miscellaneous trip to Wal-mart at least once a month. Just because I make better money than an average Wal-mart customer doesn't mean I don't like saving $1 on EACH grocery item I buy there over the local grocery stores...

I also bought Casino Royale on Blu-ray there as their price was $24.99, even cheaper than Amazon.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:53 PM.