'W.' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2009, 11:39 AM

Well, lets not forget that Bush and Cheney flew the planes into the buildings and they probably tried to eat your children too.

O-Spenda will fix it all... enjoy your new President. And your massive inflation.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:42 AM

wow. it did'nt take long for the rightwing wankers to turn up.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Office Ed View Post
wow. it did'nt take long for the rightwing wankers to turn up.
Nah, Im kind of joking. Relax. Oh wait...Lefties dont relax...they are constantly pissed off about some "inequality" or "injustice" and get relief from taking money from other people that have earned it.

Im middle wing. They're all crooks. Please tell me you understand that.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
O-Spenda will fix it all... enjoy your new President. And your massive inflation.
ha. Cuz Bush was so fiscally conservative. He left us with more debt than any other president in history.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
I think the point was about lines like this.

Quote:
As a movie, 'W.' never goes after Bush full-bore as you'd expect (or want) it to.
That's hardly "discussing a few of the political aspects". Thats saying that the reviewer thinks that people want the film to be a tear down attack on Bush.

Is it fair that he can make that comment in the review but if anybody made the same comment whilst discussing the review they could pick up an infraction?
I took that comment in context with his opening paragraph:

Quote:
Love him or hate him, Oliver Stone is rarely predictable and never timid. The man has balls to spare. Despite his reputation as one of the most hard-leaning Lefty filmmakers in Hollywood (second only to Michael Moore) and the knocks he's taken for that over the years, the director made perhaps the most audacious decision of his career by taking on 'W.', his bio-pic of sitting President.
Knowing Stone's political views, I also wanted Stone to go after Bush "full bore" because that was my expectations going into the film. Those expectations don't necessarily reflect my political views. It's like Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" - knowing Moore's political views & style, I fully expected - and wanted - him to go full bore against the NRA and Charleton Heston. That also doesn't necessarily reflect my personal views, I can handle opposing views (Hint: I own guns). It's about expectations in a movie.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Nah, Im kind of joking. Relax. Oh wait...Lefties dont relax...they are constantly pissed off about some "inequality" or "injustice" and get relief from taking money from other people that have earned it.
Yes, lump all liberal minded people into one big over-stated category. Way to lend yourself credibility. I don't think that every conservative is a war mongering bible thumper. The extremes get all the attention, but there's plenty of normal minded people on both sides of the isle.

Quote:
Im middle wing.

Yeah, right.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I took that comment in context with his opening paragraph:

Knowing Stone's political views, I also wanted Stone to go after Bush "full bore" because that was my expectations going into the film. Those expectations don't necessarily reflect my political views. It's like Michael Moore's "Bowling for Columbine" - knowing Moore's political views & style, I fully expected - and wanted - him to go full bore against the NRA and Charleton Heston. That also doesn't necessarily reflect my personal views, I can handle opposing views (Hint: I own guns). It's about expectations in a movie.
fair point. And I'm not bashing his review at all, I thought it was a good review.

I was more pointing out the double standard that exists when you can make a comment like that in a review but not in the thread discussing the review.

Although after reading the last few posts I think HDD are right to keep the ban going. Clearly its a subject that shows how few people here are ready to sit at the grown up table.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin Jack Ross View Post
[snip]
Quote:
[snip]
C'mon guys, you're gonna get the thread locked & infractions handed out; just discuss the movie, thanks.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:
C'mon guys, you're gonna get the thread locked & infractions handed out; just discuss the movie, thanks.
Its hard to talk about a movie that is politically charged with a politically charged review without getting political. Im done though...I think the Bush hatred-crowd has made their point. Duly noted.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
sorry.

So as far as the movie goes, I totally agree with Josh. The movie was entertaining and well made. But it tended to stick to stuff we already knew about the pres, and ignored some of the more "controversial" elements that might have made it more interesting. I was actually relieved that it wasn't a Bush Bashing fest, and it really wasn't about his presidency as much as it was a movie about a father and a son. I liked the movie, but I could see another "W" movie coming out in a few years that really goes into the details of some of the more secretive elements of the man. It might take awhile though, maybe an HBO miniseries would be more appropriate.