'W.' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM

I agree with Josh 120%. I think it's too early for a movie of this type. We want to know his dirty secrets. I really don't care if he was a drunk or a rejected family cowboy.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:43 AM

Well, I'll admit that like Josh & Stone I find my self in disagreement with Bush's politics. Unlike Josh I'm glad the film wasn't a slam fest and I hope to never see one. I guess like Stone believes, I also feel that for better or worse (this depends on POV I suppose?) Bush is in fact one of the most important presidents we've had. He really did change washington, and america's place in the world, it's important I think to have as fair a look into that administration as we can get.

Now it probably is a bit early to get the kind of information I would really love to have... Certainly way too early to get the kind of 100% serious performances we would expect out of such a subject matter. But I'll give Stone big props for trying, and major kudo's for leaving his politics out of the film making. That I think, would be nearly impossible for about any other director in the world.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:47 AM

I'm a fan of Oliver Stone so I gave it a whirl. Probably made me like Bush even less so I don't see this empathetic side the movie portrays... Well... to be fair, It really made me hate his administration more so then Bush himself.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 AM

5.1 or 7.1 dts hd ma?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarefanatic View Post
As I've come to expect from High-Def Digest, another unflinchingly biased review. I started coming to this site to read Blu-ray disc reviews, but as the reviews deteriorate further and further into absurd left-wing politics I'm not sure for how much longer. I'd be more interested in a site that left the "movie review" (if you want to call it that) out completely.

Blu-ray disc reviews = Good
Using movie reviews as a podium for politics = Bad
I guess this is your idea of what a "proper" review should look like:

W. (Blu-ray)
Lionsgate Home Entertainment / 2008 / 129 Minutes / Rated R
Street Date: February 10, 2009
List Price: $39.99

The movie: The movie is about George W. Bush, who was a U.S. President.
The Video: 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 transfer, 2.35:1 aspect ratio. The video is good.
The Audio: DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 The audio is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
I think it's a bit hypocritical that the reviewer can spout politics and such in his review, but we can't talk about them in the forums??
Can a reviewer review a comedy film without discussing comedy? Review a horror film without discussing the horror genre? "W" is a film about one the most prominent politicians so far in the current millennium; it's a little difficult to discuss the film without mentioning a few of the political aspects. Whether or not one agrees with the reviewer's point of view on some of those aspects is not the point of the review and irrelevant here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetorian View Post
The film itself was ok, I thought it was entertaining. [snip]
After watching W. I don't think I'll rewatch it (no reason to imo) so I don't think there is any reason to get it on BD.
I rented the BD and would agree it was just "Ok", it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. Regardless of my political views, I agree with the reviewer's opinion here: "Yet it's also a less interesting movie than it might have been. Honestly, at the end, I was left wondering what the point was."
Old 02-24-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
As I've come to expect from High-Def Digest, another unflinchingly biased review. I started coming to this site to read Blu-ray disc reviews, but as the reviews deteriorate further and further into absurd left-wing politics I'm not sure for how much longer. I'd be more interested in a site that left the "movie review" (if you want to call it that) out completely.

Blu-ray disc reviews = Good
Using movie reviews as a podium for politics = Bad
I thought Josh's review was excellent. Care to tell us exactly what was so offensive to you? I'm not seeing these "absurd left wing politics" you seem to be so offended by....?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
I rented the BD and would agree it was just "Ok", it wasn't nearly as good as I was expecting. Regardless of my political views, I agree with the reviewer's opinion here: "Yet it's also a less interesting movie than it might have been. Honestly, at the end, I was left wondering what the point was."
He missed the ball.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
Unlike Josh I'm glad the film wasn't a slam fest and I hope to never see one.
I didn't want the movie to be a slam-fest. I just wanted it to tell me something about Bush I didn't already know. I feel like I, or anyone here, could have made this movie. I don't really know what point Oliver Stone was trying to make with it.

Quote:
As I've come to expect from High-Def Digest, another unflinchingly biased review.
This is a political movie, and you expect a review to not mention politics?

Quote:
I started coming to this site to read Blu-ray disc reviews, but as the reviews deteriorate further and further into absurd left-wing politics I'm not sure for how much longer.
You don't need to be "left-wing" to recognize that George Bush was a bad President. There are plenty of Conservatives in agreement on that point.

Quote:
I'd be more interested in a site that left the "movie review" (if you want to call it that) out completely.
Nobody's forcing you to read that part of the article. The technical portions are clearly labeled if you want to skip down to them.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CochiseGuy View Post
Can a reviewer review a comedy film without discussing comedy? Review a horror film without discussing the horror genre? "W" is a film about one the most prominent politicians so far in the current millennium; it's a little difficult to discuss the film without mentioning a few of the political aspects. Whether or not one agrees with the reviewer's point of view on some of those aspects is not the point of the review and irrelevant here.

I think the point was about lines like this.

Quote:
As a movie, 'W.' never goes after Bush full-bore as you'd expect (or want) it to.
That's hardly "discussing a few of the political aspects". Thats saying that the reviewer thinks that people want the film to be a tear down attack on Bush.

Is it fair that he can make that comment in the review but if anybody made the same comment whilst discussing the review they could pick up an infraction?
Old 02-24-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickoakdl View Post
Also, I think the movie is PG-13 and not R.
You're right. That part of our template is usually pre-filled based on information in the studio's release announcement, which is not always accurate. I've fixed that now. .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruckus81 View Post
5.1 or 7.1 dts hd ma?
It's 7.1. I've corrected the typo in the specs column as well. Thanks for catching that.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.