Tron, will it be coming to Bluray? - Page 6 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-12-2011, 11:27 AM

The "Original Classic" is so redundant that they should have added "The Original Classic One from 1982". I hope that box art isn't legit too. But I do hope it does come out soon seeing as the DVD is out of print.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:05 PM

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this looks on Blu. Can't wait for it and Legacy to come out. Just wish my local IMAX could handle Legacy...tried twice in a three week period and they still had bad issues.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
I was disappointed seeing that they weren't using the original artwork for the cover as well...

I recently got The Art of Drew Struzan(Basically one of the most respected and famous film poster artists, though I'm sure everyone knows that! ), which while incredibly inspiring, is also somewhat a depressing diary of the general demise of the classic 'painted' film poster. I think the DVD/Blu Ray covers that avoid using original movie artwork are symptoms of the same trend.

The suits simply do not like traditional posters. If it wasn't pieced together by a tech guy in Photoshop, at the suit's complete control, then they don't like using it. It's scary to read how much control they have, to screw things up. For example, Drew did the original artwork for both Hellboy I & II at Guillermo's request. Guillermo then got over-ruled on both films, for typical boring/soulless Photoshop comps. Even after he had posters printed up and surveyed which ones people preferred at Comicon, and almost unanimously had people saying they much preferred the traditionally painted poster art. Even Lucas got over-ruled on his favourite poster for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull!!

It's a sad state of affairs, but the way things are in Hollywood at the moment, where the art is slowly getting sapped out of everything in favour of 'formula' in the hopes of making the maximum buck.
That is certainly indicating a shocking state of affairs. I wonder when these studio execs lost their passion for movies... or did they even have it in the first place??

I am fully aware of Drew Struzan, one of the absolute masters!! I have most of his work already (albeit only in low to high res jpg's, have yet to pick up The Art Of Drew Struzan). My fave piece of art is a textless version of Drew's The Thing poster. I have it in 2000x3000 and am hoping to get a full size print of it when i can afford it!

If you are equally enthusiastic about poster art... check out MoviePosterDB.com where you can get textless hi-res version of many classic posters. Falling Down is another highlight!
Old 01-13-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
That is certainly indicating a shocking state of affairs. I wonder when these studio execs lost their passion for movies... or did they even have it in the first place??

I am fully aware of Drew Struzan, one of the absolute masters!! I have most of his work already (albeit only in low to high res jpg's, have yet to pick up The Art Of Drew Struzan). My fave piece of art is a textless version of Drew's The Thing poster. I have it in 2000x3000 and am hoping to get a full size print of it when i can afford it!

If you are equally enthusiastic about poster art... check out MoviePosterDB.com where you can get textless hi-res version of many classic posters. Falling Down is another highlight!
Thanks for recommending that! I love movie poster art, so I'll enjoy that site. Another good book of Struzan's stuff is 'The Movie Posters of Drew Struzan', just lots of of full page prints of his work. Great for getting some inspiration!

I don't think any of the studio execs have a passion for movies, unfortunately... I think it's just a money making business for them. And while, yes, I know it has to be profitable otherwise nobody would be making them, they should aim at it being a profitable artform, not simply a profitable business.

Reading that book, it's shocking to realise how little control even the big directors (who we expect to have the final say on almost everything) have over their films. Some of the stories he tells about how he and the work was treated by studio execs is just flat out shocking. Definitely a great book!
Old 01-13-2011, 03:05 PM

Damn I wish they had released the original before Legacy, now I don't want to buy or rent either.
Old 03-25-2011, 08:36 PM

Finally:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Tron-B...6/#Screenshots

Looks promising, the only real live action shot at the end has lots of detail. Hope a comparsion comes along.
Old 03-26-2011, 04:43 PM

I must say that I still love so much the images of the first tron, maybe the movie is nothing great, but the combination of the images with the music is so cool, the music I just love the music, much much more than the new one, I remember watching some of the computer scenery with the music and it transport me.