Tron, will it be coming to Bluray? - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-17-2010, 03:29 PM

I was fortunate enough to get the 20th Anniversary DVD several years ago, but would like to have it on Blu-ray as well, if possible. I haven't heard or read much about that though.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
TRON is an interesting movie. Unfortunately they way the movie was made hurt the master. I would be curious to see if the ever release a remaster of the movie on blu. There was a comparison of the HDTV edition of TRON vs the pal DVD and the HD wasn't sharper by much in most respects. Easy upconvert DVD to match the quality.

Found the comparison link Tron PAL DVD | Full bitrate HDNet

You know there were two versions of the DVD, the first release had a metal tin around it, imagine that one is very rare, and the other released later without the tin. They were everywhere for awhile and not more than $12 for a long time.
Looks significantly better to me and thats just an old HDTV version, i bet if they made a new 4K scan of the negative it would look a lot better still. It's not just about being sharper, it's about better compression and being more faithful to the original filmed look.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder View Post
i bet if they made a new 4K scan of the negative it would look a lot better still
Or 8k, for that matter. It's a 65mm negative, remember.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM

Yeah, they're price gouging for the 20th anniversary.

http://catalog.ebay.com/?_pid=337043...id=p5197.l1428
Old 11-17-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Yeah, they're price gouging for the 20th anniversary.

http://catalog.ebay.com/?_pid=337043...id=p5197.l1428
Wow, I wonder if anyone has desperately bitten.....
Old 11-17-2010, 04:53 PM

Wow, that's crazy... I got the special edition for £2.99 on play.com a couple of years ago. The hype around the new tron is so big, and to be honest a lot of kids (big part of the target marker) wouldn't like the original, it is very much a product of it's time.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
You know there were two versions of the DVD, the first release had a metal tin around it, imagine that one is very rare, and the other released later without the tin. They were everywhere for awhile and not more than $12 for a long time.
There were two releases (maybe more?), yes. But the first was a bare-bones single disc in a white dvd case. The second release was a 2 disc special edition (remastered I think) in the fatty dvd case. I don't recall the tin case one. Was it just a reissue of the 2 disc edition? Either way, yeah I think these are all OOP.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepartyover View Post
There were two releases (maybe more?), yes. But the first was a bare-bones single disc in a white dvd case. The second release was a 2 disc special edition (remastered I think) in the fatty dvd case. I don't recall the tin case one. Was it just a reissue of the 2 disc edition? Either way, yeah I think these are all OOP.
The tin was just a slip over deal (like T2) the case and content were identical to the non tin edition.. I don't remember the white case. I think it was on DVIX too.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:05 PM

well, with 13minutes to go and 20 bids now at $58......

makes me wonder about throwing mine up.

meh, forget it, don't want to let it go without a definitive blu date yet. I disagree with Dinsey's approach to this. Get the blu out concurrent to the theatrical run of the current movie. Delivering the new film and then following up with the original to fill in the gaps with the disc release of the new movie is just a shitty way to treat potential fans. I understand the probable argument that those who have seen the first know if they want to see this one, and that kids will potentially be turened off by it but intrigued by the mystery of it all, but treating fans shitty is still treating fans shitty
Old 11-17-2010, 06:46 PM

In Germany you can get the double DVD with English audio for 13,50 US-Dollars without shipping. It is widely available:

http://www.amazon.de/Tron-Deluxe-DVD...0033832&sr=8-1

And that is a completely new DVD. Used ones should be even cheaper.

So if anyone is in need of the DVD just import it :-).