High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   Tron, will it be coming to Bluray? (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/110831-tron-will-coming-bluray.html)

iLuv3M3 11-16-2010 06:40 PM

Tron, will it be coming to Bluray?

With the release of Tron Legacy coming up and the honest fact that i've never seen Tron.

I mean, there is a chance i have..i'm familiar with much of what happens in it do to spoofs in popular television shows & movies (Robot Chicken & Stay Tuned).
and with the fact that i never seem to see it ever on tv, even with it's sequels release approaching. I don't want to buy the dvd just to find out a bluray comes out or is coming (i haven't seen any news on one in the works but i'm just wondering) but i really want to watch it, obviously before i bother with the sequel XD.

Any info on a possible Bluray coming or should i just settle with a dvd for the time being?

taygan315 11-16-2010 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 (Post 2057558)
With the release of Tron Legacy coming up and the honest fact that i've never seen Tron.

I mean, there is a chance i have..i'm familiar with much of what happens in it do to spoofs in popular television shows & movies (Robot Chicken & Stay Tuned).
and with the fact that i never seem to see it ever on tv, even with it's sequels release approaching. I don't want to buy the dvd just to find out a bluray comes out or is coming (i haven't seen any news on one in the works but i'm just wondering) but i really want to watch it, obviously before i bother with the sequel XD.

Any info on a possible Bluray coming or should i just settle with a dvd for the time being?

I thought I did see a post, on another site, that Tron was coming sometime in 2011. If I see the post I will check back with more info for you.

balsho 11-16-2010 07:34 PM

I find it a very odd move that they're not playing up the original and getting a HD release of it out before the sequel hits theaters. I've been a fan of it all my life, but I'm sure there are many in the target audience of the new one that have never seen it. And from the trailers the sequel definitely builds on the original.

craigolopolis 11-16-2010 07:47 PM

The odd thing is that the various DVD versions of TRON are currently out of print. On Amazon, they are going as high as 50 bucks used!!!!

I think that if TRON LEGACY is successful, then we'll see new DVD and BD versions in the late winter or early spring of next year.

iLuv3M3 11-16-2010 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balsho (Post 2057605)
I find it a very odd move that they're not playing up the original and getting a HD release of it out before the sequel hits theaters. I've been a fan of it all my life, but I'm sure there are many in the target audience of the new one that have never seen it. And from the trailers the sequel definitely builds on the original.

Well i mean i remember watching the Sunday morning movies on WB (i believe that was the channel) i remember that's how i saw the original Star Wars & ET..and from the popular references/ spoofs of Tron i can't help but think i've seen it..but long ago so my memory of it is pretty bland..also the trailers do build the sequel to looking amazing. All of which is why i want to see Tron again, just for a fresh start and make sure i have seen so i can have a better understanding if and when i go see Tron Legacy. I guess time will tell and if it comes down to it i shall buy the dvd & if there is ever a bluray, look here for reviews and possibly buy :P

rantanamo 11-16-2010 08:31 PM

It recently aired on HDNet(like August I believe) and looked great. I hadn't seen it in a while and thought it was great and really easy to watch. Really nice pace. Definitely would pick it up on Blu-Ray. Love it when they first entire the light cycles. Just awesome and the effects were perfect for it.

Arkadin 11-16-2010 11:24 PM

the plan apparently is to wait and release the original film when the bd of the new film comes out.
Disney is burying the old film right now because they think people will hate it and not go see the new one.
sad but true.
(apparently Disney has also pulled the old dvds to make them hard to find)
it is all very orchestrated because Disney apparently is very convinced people will not want to see the new film once they have see the original's primitive special effects.

balsho 11-17-2010 12:12 AM

It would be out by now I think if 2 is coming out next month. They should've had it out on blu and even gone for a theatrical re-release on some level. Netflix doesn't carry it, so all they leave people with is the over-priced oop dvd route. I'd check how the latest dvd release even holds up but I sold mine sometime ago, and not for no $50 :doh2:

Its really baffling why they're dropping the ball on this, but yeah I bet they don't have that much faith in the franchise. Part 1 wasn't some huge success, and while the latest trailers still get me excited, there was a chink in the armor that is my anticipation when i saw

Spoiler
Digi-Jeff Bridges. I really hope that they've worked on the look since the trailer, unless "unconvincing/unnatural" is what they're going for.

The_Doctor 11-17-2010 01:01 AM

TRON is an interesting movie. Unfortunately they way the movie was made hurt the master. I would be curious to see if the ever release a remaster of the movie on blu. There was a comparison of the HDTV edition of TRON vs the pal DVD and the HD wasn't sharper by much in most respects. Easy upconvert DVD to match the quality.

Found the comparison link Tron PAL DVD | Full bitrate HDNet

You know there were two versions of the DVD, the first release had a metal tin around it, imagine that one is very rare, and the other released later without the tin. They were everywhere for awhile and not more than $12 for a long time.

Dr Kain 11-17-2010 03:04 PM

Well this blows. I'm not going to go see the new one if I cannot watch the original first. Unlike some people, I want to know what they are referring to when they end up talking about the first one.