'Toy Story 3' (4-Disc Combo Pack) - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-28-2010, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie-Wan View Post
Normally I wouldn't even mention a half-star difference between a reviewer's opinion and my own, but in this case I'm making an exception - far from holding it "not quite" as good as the first two, I firmly believe this movie is even better than either of them, making Toy Story the ultra-rare cinematic trilogy that starts off with a great first movie and actually gets better with each installment, and indeed I'd say Toy Story 3 is Pixar's best movie ever (no small accomplishment, that).
Best Pixar movie? I prefer Up! and The Incredibles......but this is probably my favorite of the Toy Stories.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Normally I wouldn't even mention a half-star difference between a reviewer's opinion and my own, but in this case I'm making an exception - far from holding it "not quite" as good as the first two, I firmly believe this movie is even better than either of them, making Toy Story the ultra-rare cinematic trilogy that starts off with a great first movie and actually gets better with each installment, and indeed I'd say Toy Story 3 is Pixar's best movie ever (no small accomplishment, that).
I completely agree. Its also rare that a kids movie gets as dark as this one does.
Spoiler
When the toys are about to die and it looks like no way out. then they flip that emotion on us when andy give up his toys and they get there wish to be played with by him one last time.

Simply amazing.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CriticalMass View Post
I will be the first to say I didn't like this film, and I consider it amongst the poorest of Pixar releases.
Opinions and all that, so that's fine. I'm surprised anyone would take Cars over TS3 but like I said, opinions.

Quote:
in this case, my wife and the majority of my friends also agree that it is rather poor... s
rather poor? That I have a problem with. Even if its not your favorite movie, it's quality should be apparent to anyone. Not your cup of tea? Sure, I'm not that wild about Wall E or Up personally. But I'd never dare call them poor, they're clearly well made.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:01 AM

I would say it is a step up from Cars... that and Monsters Inc. have always been my least favourite Pixar movies.
But Toy Story 3 isn't far behind.

I would imagine that if the quality was apparent to anyone, then I would probably like it more! The animation is world class, to be sure... but the script and humour failed to engage me, let alone impress me.

At least it is no Shrek the Third!
Old 10-29-2010, 04:48 AM

I love all the Pixar movies, although I hated them, when I was a teen (you know...typical Disney-aversion back then).

In Germany the movie will come out on the second of December and I will be one of the first to buy it - preordered already. I never saw it in cinemas, but am expecting it to be as good as the other two :-).

In my opinion Pixar is the only movie studio around on which you can count with every movie: They do all their stuff with so much attention to good stories and characters that it puts the most ambitious drama movies to shame sometimes.

Since Disney took over they seem to go the franchise route now sadly, with sequels to "Monsters Inc." and "Cars" planned, but still...If they are as good as their other movies, what is there to complain?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Couldnt have put it better myself.
TS2 was better than TS1.
TS3 is better than TS2.
every movie in this series better than the previous one, and that is quite incredible.
note: I have seen TS1 and TS2 over 25 times each (thanks to my daughter).

There are always different opinions about these movies (esp Pixar). Most people diss Cars, but it is well loved in my home along with Monsters Inc, Finding Nemo (DVD-only), Wall-E and Up. On the other hand, we were not able to watch "the incredibles" a second time. Ratatouille is nice, but I dont intend to own it. Bolt/Robinsons are the hidden gems often ignored by many.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
I would say it is a step up from Cars... that and Monsters Inc. have always been my least favourite Pixar movies.
But Toy Story 3 isn't far behind.

I would imagine that if the quality was apparent to anyone, then I would probably like it more! The animation is world class, to be sure... but the script and humour failed to engage me, let alone impress me.

At least it is no Shrek the Third!
That explains it, your taste in movies in exactly opposite mine :-)
Monsters Inc is towards the top of my list, and I dislike all the Shrek movies!
Old 10-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Will there be a $10 off coupon floating around for this one?
Old 10-29-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpizzapie View Post
Will there be a $10 off coupon floating around for this one?
No, but there is an $8 coupon currently active.
Old 10-29-2010, 11:01 AM

I'm confused by the ratings for HD Extras (ALL of it was in HD and there was a ton of it...3.5 stars??).