Titanic - Blu-ray / 3D Blu-ray to be released on September 10 - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
It is strange that people view this kind of subject matter over time.

If you were to ask people a hundred years ago if they would like to see the people on the Titanic die in 3D, you could probably guess the response. What was once the biggest man made disaster in history is now entertainment and cash machine.

I suppose in 90 years, people will look at 9/11 in the same way. It wont be a horrific disaster that killed thousands of innocent people, it will be a Friday night at the movies.
It's terrible. But, even at the time of release there were "slide rides" of Titanic.

I had this idea for a short sketch that was about a family visiting a new theme park that is designed around histories greatest tragedies. They are the only ones there that see it for what it is. Everyone else is "having fun."

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:08 PM

since there arent 56 commentaries for this movie like the LOTR series, i wonder if they'll be nice enough to fit the whole movie onto one disc. i mean if Hellboy 2 can fit a 2hr movie plus 3hrs or more of extras onto one disc...i wanna believe fitting one movie wouldnt be too hard....unless you're producing the LOTR discs. :P

as for the tragedy comment about this and 9/11....well we already got 2 movies made on that subject. granted they werent "entertaining blockbuster" types and more serious works but still. i still recall being in a chatroom on 9/11 and saying they;d make a movie soon enough and everyone was so pissed and apalled and was "positive" it would never happen.

but of course hollywood has shown that one generation's tragedy is another's night at the movies. i'm sure there will one day be a michael bay-esque 9/11 movie. not necessarily from him but whoever his equivalent of that time is. lol
Old 04-15-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
It's terrible. But, even at the time of release there were "slide rides" of Titanic.

I had this idea for a short sketch that was about a family visiting a new theme park that is designed around histories greatest tragedies. They are the only ones there that see it for what it is. Everyone else is "having fun."
Sounds like a great idea! Yeah! there could be Hindenburg balloons. Instead of being filled with Helium, they could be filled with Hydrogen.

I think when a period of time passes after a great tragedy, society are generally not sensitive to it anymore. I am surprised however about Titanic though because that was the result of a blend of stupidity and arrogance combined, Im not sure if you could call it an accident.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:12 PM

Quote:
was the result of a blend of stupidity and arrogance combined, Im not sure if you could call it an accident.
well they didnt intentionally try to hit that iceberg so it is an accident you know? lol but the irony is that according to many, had they simply hit it head on as they originally would have had they not tried to swerve....the boat would have survived fine. now i'm not sure about the damage to anybody in that front section but yeah.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:43 PM

Quote:

If you were to ask people a hundred years ago if they would like to see the people on the Titanic die in 3D, you could probably guess the response. What was once the biggest man made disaster in history is now entertainment and cash machine.

I suppose in 90 years, people will look at 9/11 in the same way. It wont be a horrific disaster that killed thousands of innocent people, it will be a Friday night at the movies.
Well.......we already had United 93 and World Trade center within 5 years of the event.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
well they didnt intentionally try to hit that iceberg so it is an accident you know? lol but the irony is that according to many, had they simply hit it head on as they originally would have had they not tried to swerve....the boat would have survived fine. now i'm not sure about the damage to anybody in that front section but yeah.
If they had of hit it head-on, they would have damaged maybe just a couple of the holds or whatever they are called. Not sure if they had a reverse on the boat though (been a long time since I seen the movie), but if they didn't have reverse, how would they have gotten away from it. But, yeah, since they hit it on the side, it pretty much cut a hole in several of the holds or whatever they are called, letting in more water than it was designed to handle. So, yeah, if they had of hit it head on, it may not have sunk.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
Yes, the Hull would have taken the a large amount of the shock from a direct impact and the iceberg would have not torn a great hole in the side.

There were lot of other noteable issues though that contributed to the Titanic even heading directly towards an iceberg though.

1) The lookouts didnt have binoculars

2) The Captain was instructed to light all the boilers and move at full speed. (at night)

3) The rudder on the Titanic was far too small to allow the vessel to turn fast enough.

The other factors involved that contributed to the carnage after the collision were....

1) The slag content of the iron rivets in the hull was far too high, at the time and location in which the Titanic sank they might as well have been made of glass.

2) Lack of suitable lifeboats

I dont know if this was all negligence or stupidity. I would say however that the chairman. of the Whitestarline is directly responsible for it though.
Old 04-16-2012, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveS1138 View Post
Well.......we already had United 93 and World Trade center within 5 years of the event.
Yes Dave

There has been a series of horrific events. As morbid as it sounds though, Hollywood will pick the event that had the most suffering and fatalities. What does that say about us who enjoy these movies though?

We dont like disasters happening for real, but we do want to see them emulated as realistically as possible. In a way, Hollywood are exploiting the suffering of thousands to make money.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:

I think it is the same reason people like to watch WWII movies and series like Band of Brothers and The Pacific. It is drama in its purest form because we also know it is history.

Titanic is one of my top five all time favorites. Sure, I know how it will end and, of course the real event was a tragedy but a lot of the appeal of this film for me are wonderful performances of DeCaprio and Winslet and the sheer awesomeness of the skill of James Cameron.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roblove11 View Post
I watched it in 3D a few days ago, but the 3D imo is non-existent, or 'subtle' as some reviewers put it. At times I would lower my glasses to compare, and much of the scenes were pretty much the same as the regular movie, with a character's face or something else being blurry with the 3D effect. I'd recommend watching it in theaters again though since it's an epic movie. But I'm also looking forward to it in BD.
I'm of the opposite opinion. Aside from some questionable scenes and an artifact or two, I thought the conversion was very impressive. A lot of scenes had depth and dimension instead of looking like layers in a pop-up book. I do find that after a while, my eyes get adjusted to the 3D effect and it "disappears" until a new shot with a different perspective is introduced. It's at these transistions that I'm often reminded that I'm watching a 3D film.