Terminator 2 Blu-ray PQ will never look good with a 4K restoration - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-12-2009, 03:59 PM

Like others, I'll be sticking with my German Steelbook edition. Same VC-1 encode and the only audio difference is 6.1 MA vs. 7.1 HR. Is there a difference? Probably, but probably not very significant.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:08 PM

I'm confused, what is the issue? What do you mean by 4K restoration?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:28 PM

4k refers to the number of lines of resolution when they transfer the original film to the digital domain

so basically they are taking a much more detailed picture of each frame of film, and in theory that should make the transfer to Blu-ray better as well
Old 05-12-2009, 05:28 PM

I have the German HD DVD, and I think even today, it kicks the living crap out of other newer fims.

If this is the same transfer used on the BD, I'm buying the Skynet Ed. if only because of the Spanish subs. If it looks worse, then no sale.

Could someone please make a comparison between the German HD DVD and the Skynet BD?? Please, PLEASE!

Also, the promised "8 hours of bonus features" are on the BD disc or only on the Skull Limited edition (and only because that version has the previous DVDs included)?
Old 05-12-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
I have the German HD DVD, and I think even today, it kicks the living crap out of other newer fims.

If this is the same transfer used on the BD, I'm buying the Skynet Ed. if only because of the Spanish subs. If it looks worse, then no sale.

Could someone please make a comparison between the German HD DVD and the Skynet BD?? Please, PLEASE!
+1,000,000 to this request.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfanboy View Post
According to DVDfile:
Cameron's choice to use Super35 restricts the sharpness and clarity by virtue of the film elements themselves, so T2 will never look razor-sharp or crystal-clear even on the best 4K studio master..
What a useless thing to say. There's no way to know unless you try.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:25 AM

Default I never understood this

Please correct me if I'm wrong
anamophic lense=soft
spherical lense=sharp
Almost all movies are Super35 these days but they aren't all soft.
Old 05-15-2009, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonyfanboy View Post
According to DVDfile:
Cameron's choice to use Super35 restricts the sharpness and clarity by virtue of the film elements themselves, so T2 will never look razor-sharp or crystal-clear even on the best 4K studio master.

http://www.dvdfile.com/views/article...-edition-74336
That's nonsense. Many movies shot in Super 35 have a lot of sharpness and clarity.

What do this movies have in common?

Alexander Revisited
Black Book
Black Snake Moan
The Day the Earth Stood Still (2008)
Doomsday
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Enchanted
Frost/Nixon
I, Robot
King Kong (2005)
The Matrix
The Covenant
Mission: Impossible III
No Country for Old Men
PotC: Curse of the Black Pearl
PotC: Dead Man's Chest

1. They were all shot in Super 35
2. They got a 5-star video review on HDD

The problem with T2 is that they should rescan the film elements anew instead of rehashing the old 2003 transfer. Then you'd see a difference.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Man View Post
Please correct me if I'm wrong
anamophic lense=soft
spherical lense=sharp
Almost all movies are Super35 these days but they aren't all soft.
Anamorphic and spherical lenses have different focal properties, but that doesn't mean that anamorphically-shot movies are automatically soft. Nor does it mean those shot with spherical lenses are automatically sharp. The specific lens used in any given shot will determine that.

In general, anamoprhic lenses have shallower depth of field than spherical lenses. So, for example, in a medium shot, the foreground object will be in tight focus but the background may be out of focus. A spherical lens can extend the depth of field further. This comes down to a stylistic decision. The director will decide which he likes better for his movie. He can also choose different lenses to get the effect he wants in any particular scene. There are spherical lenses with shallow depth of field if that's what the director wants in a given shot. And vice versa.

Anamorphic movies utilize a greater portion of the 35mm film negative. Super 35 only uses the middle portion of the 1.37:1 frame. When blown up to the same size, that can cause the image to appear softer and grainier on Super 35. On modern fine-grained film stocks, that's not much of a problem, but it was an issue when Terminator 2 was made.

It's also incorrect to say that almost all movies are shot on Super 35 these days. Anamorphic lenses are still quite popular. And of course there are still plenty of movies shot on "Flat" 35mm for 1.85:1 projection.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by space-monkey View Post
Good thing I'm not a huge fan.

Great story, TERRIBLE dialogue. Typical Cameron (save Aliens and True Lies).
Come with me if you won to leeve.

Hasta la vista, baby.

My CPU is a neural-net processor. A learning computer

Chill out, dickwad.

My body senses injuries. The data would be called "pain".