High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   Tekkonkinkreet... Holy God. (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/19662-tekkonkinkreet-holy-god.html)

DrAndonuts 09-26-2007 04:14 AM

Tekkonkinkreet... Holy God.

What an incredible flick. Full of heart and visuals, and one of the best animes I've seen in the past 2 or 3 years.

The Blu-ray is phenomenal. The PQ is 5/5. At times, I thought that there was compression artifacts on the image, but I took a closer look: it was individual brush strokes on some of characters. It's really one of the best PQ's I've seen yet, HD or BD. The sound is uncompressed Japanese, and also has a pretty solid dubbed track, as well. It's got an hour's worth of featurettes, which are actually pretty solid, and a commentary.

Movie: 4.5/5
PQ: 5/5
AQ: 4.25/5
Extras: 3.75/5
Overall: 4.5/5

Definetely give this one a shot.

polyh3dron 09-26-2007 04:59 AM

I noticed that unlike when most BDs are inserted into the PS3, it actually displays the title for this one in the XMB and it has a Tekkonkinkreet icon.. Also, the whole timeline & bookmark thing that WB only does with their HD DVDs is present on this BD. The only thing I didn't like about this disc and Black Book is the fact that they have reverted to putting the subtitles on the very bottom of the screen instead of keeping them in frame with the picture. This is a step backwards from The Lives Of Others for Sony.

Also, Sony's box art styling seems to be getting worse. The Spider-Man font is seriously premeating everything Sony these days it seems, just check out the back of the cases on Tekkonkinkreet and Black Book.

Bandai Visual needs to take a cue from Sony though. $70 for Wings Of Honneamise? God damn!! Sony's got this and Paprika coming out for $28 street price each.

ag2ke 09-26-2007 09:17 AM

Is the movie any good tekkonkinkreet I wonder if I should netflix it.

Godstar 09-26-2007 01:36 PM

I was actually quite suprised with the movie, as it delivered more than expected. I thought it was going to be a typical Japanese style blow em up, lots of wierd mechanical guys, type of anime (hey I love those too) but it wasn't! It was a story about kids growing up in a hard life, how they need each other, and how in the end they find a way out. The character animation style I wasn't too partial too, but on a whole the movie was beatifull, and the music was phenominal. It's really a gem in the rough, and I actually liked this as much if not more than Wings of Homminaise.

4.5/5 PQ
5/5 Audio

polyh3dron 09-26-2007 06:40 PM

I only briefly checked out the opening scene of this last night, so I've got a question for anyone who has seen the whole film.. Is the English dub on this movie any good, or should I just stick with the Japanese?

Godstar 09-26-2007 07:08 PM

I always always watch the subtitled version.

DrAndonuts 09-26-2007 09:54 PM

I just let the english dub run, and I really enjoyed it. There weren't any high pitched anime voice actors, and everyone was pretty convincing.

Arkadin 09-26-2007 11:48 PM

I know VERY little about anime, but I would like to check this out. Are Blu-Ray's anime titles so far considered anime "classics"? What are the 15 best anime title of all time in ya'lls opinion?

Dead Pixel 09-26-2007 11:55 PM

My Best Buy still lever got the BR version in yet...SOOOO MAD

DrAndonuts 09-27-2007 12:05 AM

Yeah, my Best Buy didn't get it either... ended up going to Moviestop and got it for 25 bucks.