'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Collector's Edition Box Set' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
this title was never sent as a screener. it came out of my own pile. it won a vote to get a special review, but it took a damn long time to do, since i had to do 3 reviews, basically, to do it. was hard to find enough down time to do it in.

we haven't lost reviewers, and we actually post more reviews now than before. the normal week here is 10 reviews (1 friday, 1 sunday, 2 each monday through thursday), but we've had some weeks recently with 16 or more.
No rush since I know you are busy, but is Almost Famous next on the list of fan voted reviews?
Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
and romeo + juliet is going to go live this week. fox sends titles day of release.
Ah cool! Makes sense. I was just assuming Romeo + Juliet and Moulin Rouge would have been reviewed before street date, but that makes sense if they don't send the releases early. I guess they figure fans, like myself, will do a first day buy with or without a review. :-)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:06 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
No rush since I know you are busy, but is Almost Famous next on the list of fan voted reviews?
supplements are done. that one and tideland are the only ones left, both are 1/2 done. the problem with almost famous is i'm doing 2 reviews in one, as i have the japanese AND uk releases of the film, in its longer cut (which will be my first time viewing said cut, having seen the TC 2 times).

since i'm so far behind on those, i'm not running anymore vote threads until i'm 100% caught up. i didn't want to further backlog myself. American History X went up faster, because i can do that one in my sleep, have seen teh film so many damn times.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
supplements are done. that one and tideland are the only ones left, both are 1/2 done. the problem with almost famous is i'm doing 2 reviews in one, as i have the japanese AND uk releases of the film, in its longer cut (which will be my first time viewing said cut, having seen the TC 2 times).

since i'm so far behind on those, i'm not running anymore vote threads until i'm 100% caught up. i didn't want to further backlog myself. American History X went up faster, because i can do that one in my sleep, have seen teh film so many damn times.
Cool, thanks for the update
Old 11-01-2010, 03:12 PM
Former Member

yep. or as Vanilla would say, word to your mother!

man...casting Vanilla in this series is still miles worse than Spider-Man having Macy Gray, or if Predators had Tranny Gaga. (i'd like to apologize to all trannies who take offense to being lumped in with that Gaga creature.)
Old 11-01-2010, 03:44 PM

Quote:
yep. or as Vanilla would say, word to your mother!

man...casting Vanilla in this series is still miles worse than Spider-Man having Macy Gray, or if Predators had Tranny Gaga. (i'd like to apologize to all trannies who take offense to being lumped in with that Gaga creature.)
When I was 10, Casting Vanilla Ice in there was seen as awesome, dude! This movie I guess just does not live up well to the passage of time.

BTW, thanks again for the updates. I guess most of the reviews I have been interested in lately have been Fox and minor studio releases, so that is probably why I haven't seen them yet. I know Josh has said he's been busy with the blog, and hasn't reviewed a movie in a while, and you said in this review that TMNT was reviewed by someone who is no longer reviewing, so I got the impression that there were not as many people reviewing.

Thanks again for ya'll's work. There have been a few movies I picked up solely on reviews here, and some movies I were interested in picking up .that I actually changed to rentals based on your reviews. You guys saved me a small fortune for not picking up LOTR.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:54 PM
Former Member

Josh has commented as much, yes, and mister Ken did stop reviewing for this site at the end of 2008/beginning of 2009. since then, many people (including myself) have come in to keep the ball rolling, and the crew is MORE than double the longtime crew size.

thank you for reading! keep your eyes peeled for R+J, and a few other big goodies in the works!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:48 PM

Guess I'll have to decide if a nostalgia-kick is worth the price of admission for this set - from the review it looks like anyone but the most serious of fans should probably just wait for a big price drop.

Since the conversation on this thread has kinda turned this way, I'd have to add my two cents that I've been very disappointed with this site not getting reviews out on (if not, before even) the release date for some relatively "big" movies; e.g. Predators, Alien Anthology. I'm sure I'm not the only one who wants to get a good review of the P/AQ before buying (and I hate blowing $ on a rental before buying - just adds to the total cost), so I have to wonder why blu-ray.com pretty consistently gets their reviews out before release date, and this site can't. What's up with that? I'd prefer to get my reviews from this site, but they tend to be old news by the time they get put up...
Old 11-01-2010, 06:10 PM

No mention of Baltimora (Tarzan Boy) in the Turtles 3 section?

Song was awesome, yo.

Part of The Finer Things Club, The Ghostbusters Club, The American Psycho Club, The SDF on 360 Club
Old 11-01-2010, 06:25 PM

Been a very long while since I saw part 1, I remember it was always decent. I think I saw 2 in the theaters once and that was enough "Go ninja, go ninja, go". I had grown out of them by the time that 3 was put out, I think I'll still stay away from that one. I'll definitely be renting 1 and I guess I'll give the CG one a try.