Sweeney Todd Blu-ray - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-04-2008, 03:32 PM

I broke down and bought the SD version. I like this film too much to let it slip by, seeing as we've heard absolutely nothing from Paramount about an eventual BD release.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:50 PM

I refuse to buy the DVD no matter how much I love the film because Paramount does not deserve my money for both a DVD and Blu release just because they happened to not announce one before the release of the other. I'll wait. Thankfully I have a digital copy on my iPhone that holds me over.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM

If Paramount doesn't give a US release date by May 19 I'll just order the UK version... Total price with shipping is $36...
Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM

Can someone here who generally hates musicals actually say they really enjoyed this movie?
Old 04-04-2008, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Hucksake View Post
Can someone here who generally hates musicals actually say they really enjoyed this movie?
I did. I don't suggest you blind buy it, but I thought the mood of this movie was splendid. The atmosphere and the characters were all rich and everything just seemed to be in perfect order and pace. Almost like a work of art.

I appreciate musicals, I really do, but Hairspray, Across the Universe and Rent just disgust me in a way.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Can't say I really hate them, but I definitely don't rank them as my favorites. The director, however, is said to truly hate musicals (go figure ... and all the music was recorded, by each actor in his own voice, before any filming took place). Overall, a decent movie (if a bit campy).
Old 04-04-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0uble0se7en View Post
I refuse to buy the DVD no matter how much I love the film because Paramount does not deserve my money for both a DVD and Blu release just because they happened to not announce one before the release of the other. I'll wait. Thankfully I have a digital copy on my iPhone that holds me over.
+1. There are a lot of movies that I'd buy on DVD (Hot Fuzz, etc) but I am going to wait until they are on BD.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Well, you gotta qualify how you hate musicals? All of them?

Rogers and Hammerstien?

Can you tolerate Grease/Hairspray/Rocky Horror as campy musicals?

Sweeny Todd definitely falls into the latter group. It's a dark and moody movie. I didn't even know that this was previously a stage production before seeing it.

It's very well made. Songs are fun and inventive. It's not a musical that's 100% dependent on songs to tell the story, though it does do it frequently.

And LORD, is it bloody. I might break down and import the UK version just to see how much nastier the uncut version is. I've seen both the rated and unrated versions of Natural Born Killers, and for all the added violence in the uncut version of that film, it didn't hurt it or help it narratively, but it was slightly more unsettling.

Sweeny Todd is unsettling enough as an R rated film.

I would recommend you rent it first or at least give some of the songs a listen so you know what you're in for.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:42 PM

I'm a lovefilm member so can rent asmuch as I like, so i'll probably go down that route first.

Tbh, the setting is amazing. When I heard it was announced as a Burton flick I was all over it until I found out the concept had been spoilt being a blasted musical.

Can't get enough of gothic London horror ala From Hell.
Old 04-04-2008, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvddesign View Post
It's very well made. Songs are fun and inventive. It's not a musical that's 100% dependent on songs to tell the story, though it does do it frequently.
The songs are well written but not performed well.... The cast was weak in vocal talents, hell they could have dubbed the singing voices if they wanted big names for the thing.

Lovatts songs on the stage, in concert all incorporate comedic lines which need delivery, Carter just couldn't deliver that so it was kinda lost in her high pitched monotone squawk....