High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Starship Troopers' -- pre-release buzz (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/13495-starship-troopers-pre-release-buzz.html)

JustFrozen 08-03-2007 12:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kowhite (Post 230778)
It's an interesting film, if for no reason than what they managed to do with the budget. Funny seeing a 6 million dollar film that's the sequel to a 100 million dollar film...granted, it shows, but they get a lot done given the price. but yeah, it's straight up B movie monster stuff...with the Starship Troopers sheen.

Agreed. I also agree it's really difficult to make it through the first part, especially considering how great the first one was. It does start to pick up about halfway through though, and yeah you described it perfectly - it's like a B monster horror movie, so if you like that kind of stuff or you're a huge fan of Starship Troopers, then yeah it's worth it. Just don't expect anything like the original (sad but true). Also you can get it used on SD DVD for between 5 and 10 bucks at a local Blockbuster (or other stores that sell used movies, this is one that plenty of people will ditch)

kowhite 08-03-2007 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustFrozen (Post 233199)
Agreed. I also agree it's really difficult to make it through the first part, especially considering how great the first one was. It does start to pick up about halfway through though, and yeah you described it perfectly - it's like a B monster horror movie, so if you like that kind of stuff or you're a huge fan of Starship Troopers, then yeah it's worth it. Just don't expect anything like the original (sad but true). Also you can get it used on SD DVD for between 5 and 10 bucks at a local Blockbuster (or other stores that sell used movies, this is one that plenty of people will ditch)

Pretty much. You could swap out the Troopers and it'd work as just another pap horror movie. But nonetheless, for a low budget straight to video movie...the production value is impressive, and the gore is fun.

Jakkis 08-03-2007 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Z (Post 231669)
The movie is distributed by Disney in the UK, who are releasing it on Blu-ray August 6th.

Nice. Even got the scandinavian subs, I'm in heaven:D. Gotta get it by next weekend.

JustFrozen 08-03-2007 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kowhite (Post 233249)
Pretty much. You could swap out the Troopers and it'd work as just another pap horror movie. But nonetheless, for a low budget straight to video movie...the production value is impressive, and the gore is fun.

One thing that bothered me is the recasting of the captain of the main starship of the movie to one of the grunts. If you aren't going to use any of the original characters, then please don't cast the same people! IMHO, it breaks the suspension of belief (for those who did see the original)

tempura 10-09-2007 05:11 AM

I live in Japan and starship troopers has been here since mid september. A little info it looks amazing. PCM for both English and Japanese tracks. Lots of subtitle choices. Mainly asian languages. There was only one scene that didnt look good. They where in the drop ship for first time and the commander was giving them a pep talk. But other then that very very nice looking. It done by buene vista over here so same people that handle the pirates movies. Has the same quality transfer as they do.

Side note off subject. Lots of big releases are coming to Japan first then america. Spider man box set 10/17, Harry Potter series 11/21, there are others but those come to mind right now. Do you think it is because Blu-ray is 95% share in Japan or is it just distribution?