'Star Trek: The Original Series - Season 2' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-07-2009, 02:54 PM

I second that Ark, whenever something like this is done (enhaned fx or any other alteration) there should always be a seamless branching with the original artwork available. I applaud Paramount for doing right what Lucas has done wrong all this time.
Old 10-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
for me, it's really about keeping the show rooted in the time it was made.
Now, of course, the show has proven to be timeless, but I just prefer to experience the original piece of art.
For people that like the "new" effects I have no problem.
That's what is so great about this set--we have both, and can choose which we prefer.
As long as both options are included all is good.
But if the "original" effects had been totally lost to history that would have been a terrible loss.
just like the fact the we will NEVER see the "original" "Star Wars" on bd.
It is a real travesty that the "real" movie is basically lost forever except for a crappy laserdisc transfer.
thank god ST didn't meet a similar fate.
I thoroughly agree Ark. In this case, I agree about the old effects being better as well. Aomething about the particularly dated effects add to the charm/nostalgia in a way that the CGI effects take away.

Whatever the case, I applaud the inclusion of both, and wish other folks cough Lucas cough would wise up.
Old 10-07-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Those pesky Tribbles return in this 1973 episode of 'Star Trek: The Animated Series'. The episode is presented in high definition video, but unfortunately the aging source print is covered in dirt and debris.
I haven't seen this yet, but I suspect Joshua has made the common mistake of confusing cel dust with print dirt/damage.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadwell View Post
I haven't seen this yet, but I suspect Joshua has made the common mistake of confusing cel dust with print dirt/damage.
Exactly my thoughts.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
very nice review!
kind of a shame they couldn't have done something to improve the clarity of the old effects, as I can't watch the "new" stuff.
It just takes me right out of a show from the 60's.
It's funny. When this remastering project first started, the original intent was just to clean up the source elements. But it turned out that the old FX shots were just so dirty and so grainy and in such bad shape, that each and every shot would have required not just a frame-by-frame, but even a pixel-by-pixel digital retouching. The results of which would probably not have looked very good at all. Ultimately, it was faster, easier, cheaper, and yielded better results to just cut them out and start over with brand new FX instead.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treadwell View Post
Very possible. Regardless, it looks filthy.
My opinions are strictly my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employers, whomever they may be.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:02 AM

Picked it up the other day. I've only watched the Trouble With Tribbles so far and the bonus DS9 episode that was on the disc. I have to say, that I was really surprised at how bad the quality of the DS9 episode looked. The external FX shots were sooo blurry and the video quality (playing on thePS3) was far inferior to the standard def DS9 episode playing on my denon up-converted to 1080i.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papallo101 View Post
Picked it up the other day. I've only watched the Trouble With Tribbles so far and the bonus DS9 episode that was on the disc. I have to say, that I was really surprised at how bad the quality of the DS9 episode looked. The external FX shots were sooo blurry and the video quality (playing on thePS3) was far inferior to the standard def DS9 episode playing on my denon up-converted to 1080i.
Yes, they've applied an obscene amount of DNR to the Blu-ray copy of the DS9 episode. And this is real DNR, not the imaginary kind that the people on AVS blame for any marginally "soft" transfer. The details in this picture smear badly in motion.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 PM

I just borrowed the Tribble disc from netflix and you're right, the DS9 episode looks AWFUL! Smeary is a good word. What's really funny is that the audio is impressive and that the clips they show in the special features look really good. They should have done one of two things. Either do the proper re-mastering of the DS9 episode, or leave the SD version on the disc. Frankly I would have preferred that. It would have been watch-able. I can't sit through this technical mess. It looks like a download a crappy torrent file.
Old 10-10-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obriensg1 View Post
I just borrowed the Tribble disc from netflix and you're right, the DS9 episode looks AWFUL! Smeary is a good word. What's really funny is that the audio is impressive and that the clips they show in the special features look really good. They should have done one of two things. Either do the proper re-mastering of the DS9 episode, or leave the SD version on the disc. Frankly I would have preferred that. It would have been watch-able. I can't sit through this technical mess. It looks like a download a crappy torrent file.
wow wow what deep space 9 blu-ray 1080p is out? as like a preview? which epsiode?