'Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2012, 01:57 PM

Default Picture is great, and audio has the original tracks if needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I honestly do not understand all the negative reviews on the audio I have seen. The remastered audio properly fills the sound-field while staying as true as possible to the source material. The sound of the warp engines are amazing. Music is crisp and has an incredible depth to it. The sound is well mixed. I just don't get what more people were expecting from the audio - this disc not only met, but surpassed my expectations.
I Can't possibly see what people could complain about with these sample episodes. Number one, it's a sampler it's not the final product and I can bet that by the time that the Season one set comes out they will probably have addressed any framing issues that come about.

As far as the audio, the Blu-Ray contains the original audio. So if people don't like the 7.1 remixes they don't have to listen to them and can let their Audio Receiver do the work. I for one usually HATE when they remix audio but I found the blu-ray to be perfectly balanced when it came to dialog and music and it sounded superior in every way (simply due to the extra bandwidth I imagine) to the DVD's.

All I know is the picture quality is like watching an entirely new show and whatever issues one may have with minor framing flaws or changes they should really just get over it and understand the work that went into making this possible. A few years ago I was telling my friends that we would likely never see TNG in HD because of what would have to happen to make it so.

Now not only has CBS gone and done what I thought they would never pony up for, but they look to have really done a great job. There are alot of other shows I would love to see take this route but unfortunately many won't ever get this due to cheap studios and not enough interest. At least Star Trek TNG will hold up for at least another decade or so.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:00 PM

That show is a lot better than most of you give it credit for. I'll bet most of you that complain about it never gave it a shot or watched it all.

In fact I would say that Voyager has one of the best two parters of any of the series. It's called "The Year in Hell" and has some of the best action and story of all the incarnations of Trek.

If you haven't seen it you owe it to yourself (if you call yourself a Trek fan) to watch it.
Old 02-23-2012, 05:55 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I doubt Paramount will revisit it - but hopefully by the time they do the season for Sins of the Father that they have sorted thru their reels of film and somehow miraculously find the missing 13 seconds and do the episode correctly. I am sure at this time there's bound to be minor glitches here and there, that won't affect my purchasing the series, I just hope it's minimal.
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM

For those concerned/complaining about price, I'm assuming you have forgotten what TNG seasons cost when they were first released on DVD. There was some variance in price, but they were all around $150 PER SEASON for 7 SEASONS. That's over $1,000 plus tax to buy all of the seasons, and we all know lots of people did.

Hopefully they're not that out to lunch again on pricing, but the full series on dvd still costs around $300 so It'll probably be pretty out of reach for a while.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post
For those concerned/complaining about price, I'm assuming you have forgotten what TNG seasons cost when they were first released on DVD. There was some variance in price, but they were all around $150 PER SEASON for 7 SEASONS. That's over $1,000 plus tax to buy all of the seasons, and we all know lots of people did.

Hopefully they're not that out to lunch again on pricing, but the full series on dvd still costs around $300 so It'll probably be pretty out of reach for a while.
I picked up TOS on HD-DVD and Blu-Ray for about $30-$40 a seson on Amazon (of course, retail was much higher, and those were probably sales, because I just checked, and they are currently $70 or so on Amazon). I am hoping for the lower prices. I am sure people will pay the higher prices, but $70 a season is just too high for me. I MIGHT do $50.
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 AM

I'd gladly do about 50 a season on Blu. I bought the DVD set for about 200, used. It may have been 250, in either case, that comes out to 29-36 a season. And that was about a year ago, a long time past release. If we think of this as the same as Twilight Zone on Blu, we could expect a launch price of around 100, and then shortly after release, a drop to around 50.
But they've been protective of the ST property. It took a really long time for the DVD prices to drop, and even then, they milked it with multiple releases.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

If you think of how many minutes (or hours) there are per season and how much work is involved in this project, I think $50 per season is a pipe dream.
Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
You actually bought that show?
Yes I did. It's a great show, now be quiet >_>
Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 PM

Whilst I would agree that it was season three where the series really took off I think there were some episodes in earlier seasons that showed a great deal of promise. Contagion, Time Squared and Q-Who are good examples.
Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 PM

That is one of may favorite episodes of any star trek. Ive seen every episode of voyager over 3 times since they aired. 2 years ago I re-watched all DS9 and recently re-watched enterprise. I like them all. TY netflix