High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   'Star Trek: The Animated Series' - High-Def Digest Review (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/146817-star-trek-animated-series-high-def-digest-review.html)

Attebery 11-28-2016 03:34 PM

'Star Trek: The Animated Series' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has reviewed 'Star Trek: The Animated Series'. He says fans should find a lot here to savor here. Recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3881...tedseries.html

Julian 11-29-2016 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Josh Zyber
The Chekov role was replaced with a new navigator named Lt. Arex, an alien with three arms and three legs.

Couldn't they just turn Chekov into a non-speaking character, if they wanted to cut costs?

eastx 11-29-2016 11:37 AM

Great read! I hear this doesn't look much different from the DVDs, owing to the show's general ugliness. But I still wanna get it sometime.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 2602680)
Couldn't they just turn Chekov into a non-speaking character, if they wanted to cut costs?

They'd probably still have had to pay for his likeness.

ragebot 11-29-2016 02:27 PM

One pedantic comment. The music in the show - 30 mins. worth in total - was written for the series by Filmation's regular composers. It's "original" music, per se, albeit obviously pastiche on the style of the TOS music.

gravis778 11-29-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Julian (Post 2602680)

Many times, you also have to pay actors to use their physical likeness. I would assume if he was a non-speaking character, he still would have had to have been paid.

ragebot 11-29-2016 02:43 PM

In fact, the original plan was to just have Shatner and Nimoy reprise their roles. When it was discovered that Filmation would be using the likenesses but not the voices for the rest of the cast, Nimoy quickly intervened.

One thing I appreciate about TAS: In TOS's run the 'head writer' position rotated between John DF Black, Gene Coon, John Meredith Lucas and Fred Freiberger. For TAS it was finally Dorothy Fontana's turn.

ShannonNutt 11-30-2016 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragebot (Post 2602705)
In fact, the original plan was to just have Shatner and Nimoy reprise their roles. When it was discovered that Filmation would be using the likenesses but not the voices for the rest of the cast, Nimoy quickly intervened.

Yep, Nimoy was the reason we got any of the other actors at all. Guy was a class act!

Believe it or not, I've never seen ANY of these animated episodes...waiting for the price to be around $25 on this set and then I'm all-in. :)

Julian 12-01-2016 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gravis778 (Post 2602701)
Many times, you also have to pay actors to use their physical likeness. I would assume if he was a non-speaking character, he still would have had to have been paid.

Hm, true. They could have slightly altered his physical likeness ;) Just like some toy companies do.

Han Solo looked like Harrison Ford in the 'Power of the Force II' line, but the 'Crystal Skull' Indiana was a mere deformed Harrison Ford-esque character. The Indiana Jones figure sold in Disneyland (next to the attraction) also looks nothing like Harrison Ford. For shame, of course.

Josh Z 12-01-2016 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ragebot (Post 2602700)
One pedantic comment. The music in the show - 30 mins. worth in total - was written for the series by Filmation's regular composers. It's "original" music, per se, albeit obviously pastiche on the style of the TOS music.

I have removed that line. Thanks for the clarification.

El Bicho 12-01-2016 07:06 PM

"the franchise's first visit to Spock's Vulcan homeworld."

Speaking of pedantic comments, what about "Amok Time"?

Somehow I've only seen clips, maybe the first episode. Will have to finally check them out.