'Spears & Munsil High Definition Benchmark' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 5 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 05-28-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I wish you guys had called it "Munsil and Spears" instead, because now I have "S&M Disc" all over my search history
It was meant as an inside joke. We had created the DVD Benchmark and Progressive Scan Shootout. In there were tortured a bunch of DVD players.

I was confused for a nanosecond when I looked at the search words used to find our website. Lets just say some people found our site by accident.
Old 05-28-2010, 11:27 AM

Quote:
How so, IYO?
Filters can leak other colors through. When they do that, they are less accurate. We include some basic instructions on our site to help you determine if the filter is leaking colors. http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/artic...ionfilter.html

They are not as good as using a blue only mode. They are better than nothing at all. At this point in time, I believe Samsung may be the only one including a blue only mode. Their 3D displays offer red, green, and blue only modes, which is even better. It helps you verify color decoding is correct.

Quote:
Color control of my display on its factory default (very middle position). However, this seems to be pushing way too much color, and I would like to readjust.
This sounds like a color decoder problem. Once blue is set correclty, red or green may be incorrect. The best thing to do is to turn down color at this point.

Often the correct color decode is tied to a picture mode on the display. Usually cinema, THX, or custom. Other picture modes alter the color decoder.
Old 05-28-2010, 10:19 PM
Formerly Lordoftherings

Thanks Stacey for the useful link and your insights.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:05 AM

Stacey, I own a plasma tv. Will the Spears and Munsil will it help get a better pic out of bluray? Also most calibration dvd's have calibration for many things I know little about other than the sharpness, brightness, color, tint, contrast. Will I know how to use all the other video calibration technics on your dvd or will it be useless on a plasma?
Old 11-23-2011, 02:13 PM

The basic goal if this discs was to cover the basics, which as you mention, are brightness, contrast, color/tint, and sharpness.

The other patterns will help you figure out which color space is best.

I would start by reading the articles on our website. We have a getting started guide, followed by more indepth articles for each pattern. Then we have the choosing a color space article.

I would read through those and decide if you think the disc will be a good fit for you.

We hope to have a 3D disc out sometime in spring. It will add 3D, audio, plus more.

http://www.spearsandmunsil.com/articles.html