Soylent Green (1973) Coming To Blu-Ray! - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-24-2010, 08:04 AM

Can't wait for this! I love Soylent Green, even if it is very much a film of its time. It's a perfect companion piece to The Omega Man, and means that we now have Chuck's proper science fiction trilogy (Apes, Soylent, Omega) all in HD!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:31 PM

Soylent green is indeed a great movie, but I have to wonder about how well this movie has aged. I wasn't too happy with the Omega Man release, maybe somethings are better left in the past.
Old 12-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Banned

If it was Digibook I'd be down. But...eh. Rental. Maybe.
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 AM

Yes, a must have pair of films for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
It's a perfect companion piece to The Omega Man
Old 12-26-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Not a fan of the film. I don't think it aged well. It's ideas are cool, but the execution is extremely dated. No, I'm not talking about the effects. I'm talking about the pacing and staging of the scenes. It moves slower than molasses going up hill.
I can think of very few films where the pacing and staging of scenes AREN'T date. It's like prose the film reflects when it was made and even if it were cutting edge in terms of the pacing of the film at the time it was made, it would STILL not be seen that way. Pacing is very much reflective of the era a film was made in.

Aside from the obvious reveal, I think the film has aged just fine. It was slow paced back in the day and worked at establishing the mood of the piece. Michael Bay style cutting would not work for a mystery thriller like this.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosul210 View Post
Soylent green is indeed a great movie, but I have to wonder about how well this movie has aged. I wasn't too happy with the Omega Man release, maybe somethings are better left in the past.

Just had a quick question for mosul210. I am curious as to why you were not happy with Omega Man?
If you are a fan as much as me I would have thought under the circumstances you would have been blown away. This is not a movie that WB is ever going to do much too other than just port over to the new media that’s current.

Compared to the DVD, I thought this was a revelation in terms of video quality. Just within the first 5 minutes there are 15 or more standout visual moments like….the city shot is so clear you can finally make out some dude coming out of a bar early that morning while they were filming the supposedly empty city scene, I mean it’s plain as day now. ….how about being able to read “Frank Sinatra” title clearly on the 8 track that Chuck puts in the car player……or that he is wearing a white shirt with very thin red strips (I always thought he was wearing a kind of pinkish shirt due to the fact the red lines were blurring into the shirt on VHS and DVD……same with the prison mattress laying on the side of the street. On the DVD the lines on the mattress are waving like a flag hanging up at old Candlestick Park on a windy day and on the BD they’re almost perfect. How about being able to see the nicks and scratches on the chrome hubcap when Chuck kicks his flat tire.

Med-low budget Sci-Fi movie of the 70’s shot a lot of time in the dark or nighttime hours should not look even close to as good as this BD does. So I’m saying that you not being happy with it is not wrong….I just didn’t really understand why a fan would not be happy with it. Sure I’d love to see it look like Zhivago or Apocalypse but unfortunately this isn’t going to happen.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:14 PM

I would imagine that the Blu-ray would probably have a new high def transfer simply because it was issued so long ago (or at least I hope so) on DVD. Even if the extras are ported over from the previous edition, I'll be a happy camper. Sadly, director Richard Fleischer is deceased so we won't be able to get a new commentary track. Novelist Harry Harrison IS still around so I would hope that Warner would do something with him but I doubt we'll see anything new.

It seems to me if you love the film, you love the film and can forgive how it ages.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:33 PM

Soylent Green is made from kittens, cute little kittens:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Soylen...6/#Screenshots
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film3/blu-r...en_blu-ray.htm

Looks like an old DVD master was used. Barely ok, not great by any means. Omega Man looks better, maybe that was why it was released first.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:01 AM

Looks and sounds good, but the movie is no better than I remembered it. Should have passed on this one.