'Slumdog Millionaire' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-06-2009, 04:09 PM

Easy.

Skipping this one, will be getting Yes Man.

And THANK YOU for not giving this film a 5/5.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:14 PM

"He also liberally employs indigenous Hindi dialogue during the early sequences, which adds further authenticity."

I feel like this statement gives credit to the director for knowing when to employ an artistic choice, when the decision was more likely imposed on him:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/16/mo....html?ref=asia "The decision to go with Hindi stemmed from a need to find child actors who could be true to the characters in the script. Ms. Tandan, who is Indian, said it was impossible to find English-speaking Indian children who could play hard-knuckles slum kids. Mr. Boyle immediately understood that, she said, and agreed to rewrite the script into Hindi. Ms. Tandan ended up hiring real kids, some of them from the Mumbai slums, to play the three lead child characters."

I think he (and the people financing the movie) would have felt more safe selling an all English speaking movie to the public. They even put the subtitles up in a decorated way instead of the typical type found at the bottom of the screen, to keep the stigma of foreign dialogue to a minimum.

Ironically, the use of Hindi probably ended up increasing the grosses, because it hyped an okay movie into faux art-house status. I think that people fell under the belief that they were seeing a truly foreign movie, instead of a British film production that just happens to be set in India.

When it turned out that they could not only follow it, but also enjoy the story (well look at that, a happy ending), the hype became the emperor's clothes that the movie wore all the way to the Oscars. On the IMDB message boards, people who can't see what the fuss is all about are told that they "just don't get this type of movie", when they probably get a great deal more.

The performances of the children in this movie were brilliant, and the depiction of their poverty and abuse is gripping. But the stale "separated lovers" story and dialogue as acted by the adults was very run of the mill, and the lead actor exhibited about one fourth of the charisma that his child counterpart did. It's an injustice that those kids aren't getting more in return for carrying this movie as far as they did.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:15 PM

that post is probably better for a laugh than yes man
Old 04-06-2009, 04:35 PM

Boyle discusses adding the Hindi dialogue and having the script rewritten in the commentary track. True, Boyle did not come up with this idea himself, and I apologize if the line in my review makes it seem that way. But I don't think it was imposed on him either. Like a good director, he listened to the advice of those around him and made a decision based on the information he was given. Ultimately, he decided which direction to take. I'm happy he favored the integrity of the film instead worrying over the impact such a change might have on its appeal or ability to find a distributor. I'm sure it was a tough decision to make, but he made the right call.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:45 PM

I cant wait to watch this! Im waiting to see it with a friend over spring break.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:54 PM

Academy got it right two years in a row now...
Old 04-06-2009, 05:01 PM

so does the BD have the stylized(i gues you could say that) subtitles, or does it just have regular subtitles? I think these subtitles were pretty similar to the ones used in Nightwatch(which didn't have stylized subtitles on the BD/DVD) being on different parts of the screen and in an unusual font and what not, i understand why it wouldn't work using regular subtitles but im sure they could get it to work either by burning them onto the video or potentially using BDJ like a pop up track or something... So does it even have the stylized subtitles and if so are they burned in or can you turn them off?
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squall4008 View Post
so does the BD have the stylized(i gues you could say that) subtitles, or does it just have regular subtitles? I think these subtitles were pretty similar to the ones used in Nightwatch(which didn't have stylized subtitles on the BD/DVD) being on different parts of the screen and in an unusual font and what not, i understand why it wouldn't work using regular subtitles but im sure they could get it to work either by burning them onto the video or potentially using BDJ like a pop up track or something... So does it even have the stylized subtitles and if so are they burned in or can you turn them off?
as far as i could tell the subtitles are part of the movie and can't be turned off
Old 04-06-2009, 05:06 PM

The BD has the stylized subtitles and they seem to be burned in. I didn't play the disc with the English subtitles option turned on, so don't know whether the subtitles play differently that way.
Old 04-06-2009, 05:08 PM

Watched it again yesterday with some friends. Good parallel story line going on with the movie, giving it a different feel than most other movies out there. I didn't know what to think of it in the first 30 minutes, but then the movie gets you.