Rumor: '300' Re-issue Already Planned? - Page 3 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-02-2007, 01:06 AM

It's not even that I mind buying the first one, or that I'm insulted at them throwing extra extras around or anything - it's just it makes me angry when they try to con consumers with two versions ... especially the ones released again right before the sequel releases ...
Old 08-02-2007, 01:09 AM

On the 300 Comic Con panel on Xbox live they said this true coming later with IME and then the made a joke about it coming to betamax
Old 08-02-2007, 01:16 AM

dude, it's already on betamax.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:07 PM

Check out this link first to see how great BR java system is...

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/movies/pr...ers-266923.php

Now the rest...

This is just another example of the advantages of HD DVD over blue ray. BR may have more storage space, but HD DVD is obviously easier to produce and use and create interactive features.

How many times has a film been released now on both HD DVD and BR and we have seen the HD DVD be fully interactive, while the BR copy is limited because they cant get the Java interface to work properly.

Should this not be sounded alarm bells for alot of BR fanboys and the companies who have decided to be BR exclusive?

Its an insult to the BR buyers who have to run out and re-buy a re-issued copy or have to wait longer for the BR copy to be released.

It wouldnt fill me with confidence if I was in the BR camp (which im not) and I knew the HD DVD camp was getting fully interactive stuff, while they werent and they were being expected to wait longer or buy a re-issued copy.

Im sure BR is a wonderufll format and most films do have the interactivity, but does the fact that some DONT and some films are being re-issued not make you uncomfortable?

BR fanboys talk about how all this extra storage space means better interactive features, but what does it matter if those interactive features dont even work yet?

I think this is a sure sign that BR is too complicated for its own good. And its going to cost companies more in the long run to re-issue films and/or take longer to produce the DVDS.

HD DVD may have less storage capacity, but atleast its a FULLY functioning format, unlike BR which ISNT always. The end result is that HD DVD is cheaper to produce and works 100% on all aspects including interactivity.

BR is a format that has basically been released before it 100% works. How is that good business?

From a BR buyers perspective, does that honestly not annoy you that BR isnt always 100% interactive while the HD DVD copies are?

Last edited by freekedoutfish; 08-05-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:37 PM

One statement...Studio Support. That interactivity stuff will be academic by the end of this year. My point is, the spin can go on indefinitely. Both formats have their advantages. But one chooses which format has the better chance of success, right? And I'm talking long-term success. Blu-ray appears to have the advantage there.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrob View Post
One statement...Studio Support. That interactivity stuff will be academic by the end of this year. My point is, the spin can go on indefinitely. Both formats have their advantages. But one chooses which format has the better chance of success, right? And I'm talking long-term success. Blu-ray appears to have the advantage there.
But if BR continues to have these interactive issues for the next few months and costs the companies money to make re-issues or pro-long releases, then might it not incourages alot to jump ship and look towards HD DVD?

You cant really say the interactive features arent that important at this time, because one of the major points of these new HD formats is the flashy new interactivity you can use.

If all you get are the bog standard SD interactivity, then how is that truly worth the money for a player and the films?

Yes it may get fixed in months to come or a year, but by then alot of buyers and companies might have been discouraged and gone elsewhere.

If I was a BR supporter and I had gone BR instead of HD DVD I would be extremely p'd off at how many BR films dont have the 100% HD experience. I certainly wouldnt want to buy a re-issue of a film that already cost me 17.99.
Old 08-05-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekedoutfish View Post
How many times has a film been released now on both HD DVD and BR and we have seen the HD DVD be fully interactive, while the BR copy is limited because they cant get the Java interface to work properly.
First of all, this isn't smackdown, so reserve those kind of fanboy bashing comments for that.

Second, the features aren't on the BD not because "they can't get the Java interface to work properly," it's because BD players haven't the capabilities nor are required to have BD-J 1.1 specs until after October. So it doesn't make sense for companies to issue BD-J 1.1 enhanced features if there aren't any players currently on the market to play them.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
First of all, this isn't smackdown, so reserve those kind of fanboy bashing comments for that.

Second, the features aren't on the BD not because "they can't get the Java interface to work properly," it's because BD players haven't the capabilities nor are required to have BD-J 1.1 specs until after October. So it doesn't make sense for companies to issue BD-J 1.1 enhanced features if there aren't any players currently on the market to play them.

How was that a fanboy bashing comment?

Its a fact that films are being released on HD DVD with full interactivity, while identical BR films are being released without 100% interactivity.

Im not bashing anything, im being honest.

But how is "it's because BD players haven't the capabilities nor are required to have BD-J 1.1 specs until after October" an acceptable state of affairs?

Films are being released on BR that arent compatable with older players, and possibly recent players. And because their are no standards for BR players to have network connections, consumers are expected to manually update their machines.

Can you see a technophone being able to get online, copy some software to a CD and then be able to update their home machine?

If you check the link to the youtube video I posted above, the BD-JAVA update didnt even fix the issues with that particular film.

So whether or not BR films are being delayed or released with full interactivity because...

1) The BD-JAVA doesnt work or
2) The machines are unable to play the latest BD-JAVA

...makes no diference.

The entire situation is a joke, because you have players on the market that are uncompatable with newer films, or you have BR films on the market without any BD-JAVA interactivit and you can only update them manually if you know how.

While every HD DVD film is able to play on ALL machines, with FULL interactivity working 100%. And even if issues do arrise (which are rare) they are able to update their machines very easily through the machine itself. All because its standardised to have network connections on ALL hd dvd players.

So im not bing a fanboy, im being honset. BR is not a fully working format and its unnacceptle to be releasing different versions of BD-JAVA when older machines cant use it or be updated easily.

Its also unacceptable to expect consumers to have to manually update their expensive BR machines because they dont have network connectivity to the internet as standard.

BR is a flawed format, and its only benefit over HD is its capacity. In terms of interactivity and working as "new format" HD DVD wins. HD DVD does what its meant to everytime and when issues do arrise, machines are very easily updated.

But issues with HD DVD are rare, compared to the issues with BRs interactivity.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:29 PM

Quote:
From a BR buyers perspective, does that honestly not annoy you that BR isnt always 100% interactive while the HD DVD copies are?
Not one bit. I want the movie, with outstanding audio and video quality, and that's it. I never watch bonus materials, previews, games, or other fluff they include. In fact, I'd MUCH prefer to buy a cheaper version of a Blu-Ray movie that has nothing but the movie on it.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Films are being released on BR that arent compatable with older players, and possibly recent players.
Films are not being released that aren't compatible with any BD player. As of this typing there is not one BD title on the market that has BD-J 1.1 interactive features. When these titles do hit the market, the films will still be compatible with current players. The only thing that won't work is the PiP features. Paidgeek, a Sony Pictures insider, has stated that the content viewable in the PiP features on future Sony BD's will also be available to watch seperately so BD supporters won't be missing out on any features.

As for BD-J 1.0, all players support this functionality, some better than others. And while some players may need updates to function properly, at least they are able too. Ideally, for both formats, players shouldn't need updates to be fully functional. When you buy a DVD player or even the original Xbox that even had a built-in ethernet port, you get what you get: a fully finished product by the manufacturer that once you had the hardware that's what you got until you buy the newest model. So to finish off my little side rant, neither side should be releasing inferior players that need any kind of updating to work properly - they should be working with all their potential capabilities from the get go. We've seemed to get along fine through many generations of technologies without needing to download updates to our players.

Issues w/ HD DVD's are more common than you think, see below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freekedoutfish
But issues with HD DVD are rare, compared to the issues with BRs interactivity.
Go tell that to a 360 add-on owner...oh yeah you are. There are so many bugs with new releases on the add-on it's not even funny. The first HD DVD players that came out could only do 2.0 Dolby TrueHD and required updates for 5.1. Sluggish playback and compatiblity issues arise all the time with stand alone units as well. There are still many players that don't support 1080p/24 output - the native resolution/framerate of the discs whereas all but about 3 BD players don't do 24fps, but all at least support 1080p. True, HD DVD players have built-in ethernet to help, but like I said, not everyone has high speed internet and to access these features of the "far more advanced" HD DVD, you have to send for an update disc.

Both formats have their short comings - that's to be expected this early on in a format's life. But, you came in here trying to rub it in BD supporters' faces by boasting what you call flaws in the BD technology. Did you ever stop to think that not all of the BD supporters consider them flaws? Many of them could give a rat's ass about BD-J 1.1 and within a couple of years, it will be so common place that it's compatibility will essentially be a non-issue.

When BD-J 1.1 titles hit the market, current supporters can still be happy that they can still watch the content that is available for the PiP feature as well as the BD-J 1.0 interactive features. So as much as you like to think they are, current supporters are not going to be S.O.L. when it comes to BD-J 1.1 enhanced features. The BDA is not that consumer unfriendly. BD supporting CE manufacturers and studios won't want to alienate any BD owner and they aren't going to.

No one seemed to complain about DVD-ROM enhanced features on DVD where you needed a DVD drive and a computer with internet access to access additional features. That is an example of true incompatabilty, where's the consumer outcry over that?

HD DVD supporters just love to brag about how great their format is with PiP when many BD supporters could care less, so having BD-J 1.1 will essentially give HD DVD one less pointless thing to brag about.