'Redbelt' - High-Def Digest Review - Page 2 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2008, 01:54 AM

Definitly a Rental. Possible a blind buy
Old 08-20-2008, 11:27 PM

Superb review by Josh Z. I will definitely rent this.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:40 PM

I'll probably blind buy this whenever it goes on sale sometime. I was really wanting to see this in theaters but didn't get a chance.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:42 PM

sounds interesting may have to blind buy this one
Old 08-25-2008, 03:07 PM

I'll be blind buying this tomorrow. Been looking forward to watching this.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:30 PM

Looking forward to this, Mamet can be hit or miss sometimes.
Though Chiwetel Ejiofor is always amazing.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:35 PM

gonna miss the first few minutes of my morning class because i'm picking this up. saw it in the theater and it was a great movie.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:53 PM

Just watched this movie last night, and though I thought it was fun, the plot was just horribly flawed and corny.

Spoiler
The relationship with the main characters wife seemed a bit unhealthy, if not strange. The wife didn't seem very close to her husband, and the fact she betrays him for people she doesn't even know, even after they screw her over is a bit rediculous. Why in the hell was the attorney he just met rushing out to give him a hug and not his wife? Very strange.

Then there is the relationship with the bar owner. Why was he unable to pay is friend? Couldn't have owned him more than a couple grand. Then you have the crooked, almost omnipotent producer who ends up colluding with the fight organizers, steals all of the main characters ideas, then colludes with his wife to betray his best friend and drive him to suicide.

Finally, the end of the movie makes no sense at all. Why did the Professor give him the belt? He hadn't even said anything yet about the backhandedness of the whole fight! Why the hell did the Japaneese guy present him with the belt? Then the movie just ends. So many loose ends and things that made absolutley no sense. The movie was well produced, but badly written and tied together.

Josh Z, not sure why you liked this movie so much - while the character acting was pretty strong, the bad writting and the mangled plot end up destroying the cohesiveness of the film.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Default redbelt

fantastic film...Mamet is a genius...Now i hafta go watch his collection of gems this week...Heist...Spanish Prisoner...Spartan...and of course Glengarry
Old 08-27-2008, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
Just watched this movie last night, and though I thought it was fun, the plot was just horribly flawed and corny.
I think you missed a lot of what was going on in the plot.

Spoiler
> The relationship with the main characters wife seemed a bit unhealthy, if not strange. The wife didn't seem very close to her husband, and the fact she betrays him for people she doesn't even know, even after they screw her over is a bit rediculous. Why in the hell was the attorney he just met rushing out to give him a hug and not his wife? Very strange.

That's basically the point. Their marriage was already strained due to their financial difficulties. She was upset with him for sticking with his ideals when he could have made some easy money. Her betrayal of him is the end of their marriage.

The attorney, though he only met her recently, understands and respects his idealism. That's why she's the one who runs and hugs him, while his wife is hanging out with the movie star.

>Then there is the relationship with the bar owner. Why was he unable to pay is friend? Couldn't have owned him more than a couple grand.

The bar owner is Mike's brother-in-law. He doesn't really like Mike, but hired Mike's friend the cop as a favor to his sister (Mike's wife). He didn't pay the guy because he's a scumbag. I thought that was pretty clear.

> Then you have the crooked, almost omnipotent producer who ends up colluding with the fight organizers, steals all of the main characters ideas, then colludes with his wife to betray his best friend and drive him to suicide.

Yes, and....? What's the complaint here?

> Finally, the end of the movie makes no sense at all. Why did the Professor give him the belt? He hadn't even said anything yet about the backhandedness of the whole fight! Why the hell did the Japaneese guy present him with the belt?

He gave Mike the belt because Mike defeated the reigning champion with skill and honor, in a fight that was clearly stacked against him.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.