High-Def Digest Forums

High-Def Digest Forums (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/)
-   Blu-ray Software General Discussion (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion-16/)
-   -   Rambo First Blood (https://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-ray-software-general-discussion/14342-rambo-first-blood.html)

ed081873 08-07-2007 06:13 AM

Rambo First Blood

Big fan of the movie, and was so disappointed with the picture quality. I know its an old movie and all, but was expecting so much more. Hardly any improvement over the upconverted standard DVD!! :(

CaptainCanuck 08-07-2007 06:28 AM

Rambo 2 was like that as well.
3 was a big improvement though.

Kotatsu Neko 08-07-2007 08:32 AM

How does it compare to the HD DVD Studio Canal version? I have that disc and thought it looked okay given the age. It has a natural looking, very film like picture.

joey0480 08-07-2007 10:05 AM

don't bother buying the blu ray of this. Just use the newer release of the SD. that looks almost as good as blu

Neutral101 08-07-2007 10:43 AM

Quote:

don't bother buying the blu ray of this. Just use the newer release of the SD. that looks almost as good as blu
I don't know what your setup is like but I think the Blu-ray version a way better than the standard version, the color is much more richer and the overall picture quality is sharper.

HD Guru 08-07-2007 10:58 AM

big improvement i though it picture and the 1.5 mpb dts 6.1 track

4 stars here for picture quality

Quote:

Interestingly, the presentation actually picks up in darker scenes, particularly the extended climax between Rambo and the Brian Dennehy character. It is here where the Blu-ray offers the most marked improvement over the standard-def release, with noticeably improved shadow detail and better depth. I also was surprised that there was no apparent edge enhancement, so while the transfer can look soft at times, at least it's natural.

Overall, I can't say this presentation ever made me go "wow!", but it does have some moments of very impressive video for a twenty-odd year-old film. Given the film's very realistic visual style and the consistent quality of the remaster, I'm going to say this one hits a solid triple.

nickdalodger 08-07-2007 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ed081873 (Post 239431)
Big fan of the movie, and was so disappointed with the picture quality. I know its an old movie and all, but was expecting so much more. Hardly any improvement over the upconverted standard DVD!! :(

Got to disagree with you here, I was quite impressed with the quality of Rambo on Blu Ray, I thought the picture was sharp and had way more detail then the dvd, and dark scenes werent too bad either.

The film I was most disappointed with was Total Recall, now that was a poor transfer!

mrkiller 08-07-2007 12:46 PM

this is on sale for only $19.99 (CND) at my BB, is it worth that price ?/ I am a big fan of Sly but i havnt seen the Rambo series for a couple of years now

dalamchops 08-07-2007 01:04 PM

i think it's worth it. Obviously the best of the rambo series and a favorite of mine.

nickdalodger 08-07-2007 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrkiller (Post 239728)
this is on sale for only $19.99 (CND) at my BB, is it worth that price ?/ I am a big fan of Sly but i havnt seen the Rambo series for a couple of years now

Yeah, this is the best one, classic I hadnt watched it for a few years, the score on this is quality as well, $20 bargain